• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how do i do this....

PmDavis300

i dont want to start a 20 page post or a big controversy.... or both. anyways, im going to get a flasher. i dont want to know what you like, just what the features and/or benefits of the brands are.... basically its between marcum or vexilar.

its a big purchase and im very lost at this point... maybe if you just could point me towards a HSOforum? anything will help.

ive used both vexilar is by far the better unit easier to use and much more reliable and if shows fish you can bet their there. many units to choose from I have fl8 the cheepest one and love it. great ? be interesting to see what others have to say

You can check them all out and compare features and prices HERE

I'll let you know what I think is important or different about the various flashers, maybe some of that will help you sort them out, or identify certain things that are or aren't important to you.

- Marcum and Vex have both been around more than long enough to have solid track records. HB is new this year with a lot of great features and some good reports but not enough history to have a track record yet.

- Marcum and HB are newer technology, Vex is older.

- Marcum and HB work off high power, Vex works off low power. The argument for more power is that it bounces off everything below the transducer and gives a very accurate and detailed display of what's down there, works better in deeper water, works better in weeds, etc.

- Marcum and HB each have 3 different models and no other options for each model. Vex has 4 different models and you have choices between the genz pack, pro pack or ultra pack.

- A key feature to consider is zoom, most models have it but not all so this can be a great way to include or exclude certain models. Zoom is helpful when fishing in deep water or for fish that are in weeds or tight to the bottom, it's not as helpful if you're fishing for suspended fish or in shallower water.

- Another key feature to consider is dual beam transducers, some models have them but not all, so again it's a great way to include or exclude certain models. This can be an important feature in deep water, steep drop-offs, in weeds, in close proximity to other flashers, in shallow water, etc.

- Some people like to hang their hat on target separation. Some flashers have better target separation than others but I think they all have separation of 2.5 inches or less, which makes them all pretty impressive in my book. The numbers for the target separation are out there so you can see them and compare them if you want.

- I use a lot of different flashers and I think they're all good and will all help you catch more fish. To put it another way, I don't think you can buy a bad flasher. Some flashers are better than others and the one I use the most is what I think is the best flasher out there, but it comes down to what features are important to you and how much you want to pay for your flasher.

I hope this helps you sort them out. If you have other questions I would be happy to try to answer them for you.

If you're going to go top of the line, you'll be happy with either Marcum and Vexilar. If you want to save a few bucks, I think a Marcum VX-1P will give you more bang for your buck.

Either way, you can't go wrong buying one from Pro Fishing Supply. Great prices, super fast shipping, and Dave is first rate when or if it comes to support or questions.

PmDavis300-

Could you give us a little more info on how and what you like to fish for, and how often? Maybe even how much you are looking to spend?

A flasher purchase can be a big deal for a lot of people and money is obviously tight now days. The higher priced flashers have additional features that the lower priced flashers do not have. Some of these features are very important and directly affect your fishing, some are just "nice to haves" like battery charge indicators, soft cases, and tackle boxes.

Based on my experiences in the ice fishing world, I'd really narrow down your decision to Marcum or Vexilar at this point. Used both for years and am comfortable recommending those models. I'm currently demo'ing a Humminbird Ice55 but don't have enough time with it yet to offer suggestions.

If you want to go all out and have all the bells and whistles, Marcum LX-5 would be my choice. If that price scares you, I would definitely feel comfortable with an LX-3 or an FL-18. They both have the zoom feature, good interference rejection, and have caught a ton of fish for me over the years. The Zoom feature gets used more than you'll think.

i dont want to start a 20 page post or a big controversy.... or both. anyways, im going to get a flasher. i dont want to know what you like, just what the features and/or benefits of the brands are.... basically its between marcum or vexilar.

its a big purchase and im very lost at this point... maybe if you just could point me towards a HSOforum? anything will help.

It doesn't matter what you buy, somebody is always going to say the other brand is better and have x number of reasons why.

The brand I would pick would depend mostly on the price/value vs the name brand. If you fish 30 foot or shallower, I'd look at the purchase of the lower end units like a Vex 8se or Marcum v-x1 and would more then likely get the Marcum vx-1 since you can find them for $199 and it has the zoom feature which I don't think the vex 8se does. The comparable vex 8se was $250 and it didn't have zoom.

If you fished in deeper waters or consistantly fished at the 30 foot end, I would look at the higher level flashers and would look at the zoom & power ratings and then buy the higher level flasher that was the best price/value make sure that if you get a higher model that you get the dual transducer.

What the dual transudcer allows you to do is change the amount of area that your sonar shows you. For shallow water 20 foot or less, I like a transducer that is around 19*. If I was in 35-40 foot of water, I would want a transducer closer to 9*. Reason is the 19* transducer at 20 foot shows about the same area on the bottom as a 9* transducer at 40 foot.

I haven't had any experiance with the Humming Bird sonars, but looked at them in a store and thought the digital depth display of bottom depth was cool.

Just a few bullet points about the features I'd look at

*Zoom

*Display (color/greyscale vertical/circular)

*Transducer (degree of transducer/or switchable)

*Target Seperation

*Bottom display depth

*Accessories avalible

I use a lot of different flashers and I think they're all good and will all help you catch more fish. To put it another way, I don't think you can buy a bad flasher. Some flashers are better than others and the one I use the most is what I think is the best flasher out there, but it comes down to what features are important to you and how much you want to pay for your flasher.

I can't agree with this more. I got an FL-8 used for $150 two years ago and it has served me very well. I'm still keeping it to use for a spare, but I now have an LX5 and Ice kit for my 522c. Haven't got to use them yet though. But any of them are going to help you get more fish. Just get the best you can afford.

Good post A. @ IA.

Quote:
and would more then likely get the Marcum vx-1 since you can find them for $199 and it has the zoom feature which I don't think the vex 8se does. The comparable vex 8se was $250 and it didn't have zoom.

You might not be able to find the VX-1 anymore but I've heard some Ganders still have a few. They replaced it this year with the VX-1P which runs about $300.

I would like to say that I am very impressed with all that have posted in that you have not gone the way of ford-vs-chevy this time. This has to be the first flasher thread that has not immidiately turned into that. That being said you will not go wrong with either the vex's or marcums. Like others have said there are different features that each have the may be better for you or not so judge it based on how you fish. I have had a fl-8 and now have a fl-20. I have had 0 problems with either and I think you would get similar reliability with the marcums. Hummingburd I don't know. Pearchjerker pointed out most of what to consider.

One thing I particulartly like about the FL-20 that the fl-8 did not have is the low power mode for less than 20 feet. This comes in handy when fishing shallow water with hard bottom or weeds. It reduces the power transmitted out of the transducer not the receiver gain. The only reason I mention this is because I often fish shallow and use this frequently. In weeds it will light up like a christmas tree in normal power mode but in low power mode you can see without the weeds interfering. Also in shallow hard bottom you will often get double echo that can not be eliminated by reducing the gain. in low power mode you can get rid of the double echo. If you do not fish weeds or shallow this feature is not of interest to you so then the marcums are every bit as good.

I have an FL-8 and an LX-5, Comparing them is like putting a S-10 pick-up head to head with a Silverado. They both will get you from a to b. They will both carry your gear, They both will keep you warm. The Silverado will get more of you to location b and back, it will haul more gear, it will tow more and it will have a few more creature comforts, but it will cost you more as well! You can see that I am a little biased but I have no problems fishing with either. What it comes down to is do you want to see whats going on (fishing without one is like fishing blind) and how much do you want to spend. I have no regrets purchasing either. The FL-8 came first and opened my eyes! The LX-5 was a major upgrade but also has many more options. If I had to start over I would have likely started with an LX-1 and worked my way up from there.

I've used the fl8 for ages...Since my buddy got one years ago..He let me borrow it all the time...That way he knew where the fish were all the time...( Due to my bosses attitude, I get to go fish whenever I need to...It's good to be the boss.)..I've had my own now for about 3 yrs. and still love it...If it aint' broke, don't fix it..on the other hand, I may be hunting with my Red Ryder B.B. gun I got for Christmas years ago..Theres alot of new stuff out there, and there's a lot of bells and whistles..Noise rejection is pretty cool...All in all tho', try to find a used fl8 for under 2 bills...they definatly hold thier value!!..I say, great affordable unit..

If your buddys have vexilars and you want to continue fishing with them dont buy a marcum.

I fish my LX-5 next to FL-8's,12's,18's and 20's and never had a problem

I started with a FL-8,went up to an 18 now own a LX-5. All will help you catch fish. I like having the dual beam transducer, being able to zoom anywhere in the water colum. and IMO the best feature the Super Fine Line option of my LX. I can't say I catch more fish with the LX than I did with my Vexilars but I have more options in 1 package without having to buy add on's or upgrades. I fish water anywhere from 6' to 30' and my LX always works.

Last year I bought a lx-1 from daniels in winona for a $150. I had never owned a flasher just watched my brother use my fl-8. he would catch 20 to my 1 before. But now that I have my Marcum I don't know if the fl-8 catches more. My is very plane jane but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I think you can almost triple your fishing capabilites with any flasher. So what ever you buy you will never leave home without it

I have a Lowrance x67c ice pack. I like all the features it has. I also can use it in open water(with purchase of a boat mounted trans). I like to use the graphing feature. It also has a vex style feature, zoom,ice mode, and many others. I did run into problems when my buddy had his vex in the same house. He did some adjusting on the vex, and everything was good to go. We both caught fish and enjoyed sharing info on both units.