Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishon68

Keeping wifes feet off the ice

33 posts in this topic

Any ideas on what i can put on the ice to keep wifes feet warm,i have a voyager house and she loves to fish but feet are always cold, piece of carpet, wood?? Dont want anything to heavy or bulky

My buddy puts a strip of old carpet in front of the whole sled. It works very good and when its time to go just roll it up.

I think the stuff I am thinking of is called high density polyethylene foam. At any rate, if you have a worn out throwable life preserver (seat type) that has the two or three sheets of foam in it, use that! Lightweight, excellent insulation, and durable.

Another thought is if she has enough room in her boots is to put in another felt insole or if you are cheap adding a few layers of styrofoam from say meat packages. Just adding some more insulation between the foot and the ice helps.

A good pair of loose fitting well insulated boots that aren't tied too tight.

I use a cuple of pieces of 2x12 that are about 18" long. Keeps your feet off the ice and warmer. Little heavier than carrying foam, but it's what I had laying around and it won't blow off the sled when being pulled by the wheeler or strong gusts of wind.

I've used a strip of that high density foam also. Very light weight and really works.

You could hunt down a chunk of "pink" or "blue" foam used for insulating foundations from allot of construction dumpsters.

I kept an old closed cell foam sleeping pad, (you know, the green ones we used in Boy Scouts,) that has been turned into lots of things....... I was just planning on cutting circle out of it for bucket seat insulation. It would be great for her feet, but might slide around a bit.

carpet seems to be used allot.

i keep a long car mat in my house and just set it on the ice works ok for me keeps you feet off of the ice

One of those black/gray entry mats from Menard/Home depot etc. They are rubber or vinyl on one side, carpet on the other. I fished with a guy who used a huge one and cut holes in it.

You need to figure out how to talk her in to staying at home not keeping her warm. Fish house = man's sanctuary from women. LOL.

I use a 12" x 48" x 1/2" pice of OSB that has the same size pice of 1 1/2" foam insulation glued to it. It works great(keep it away from the heater)

Anti fatigue mats from Menards. They are full of holes so water drains, They don't freeze down to the ice and are only about $4 or less. I have two of them for my flip over portable. When I use my wheel house they work great for outside door mats.

Car mats work great, plus most of us have them already. Just take the one out of your truck when you get to the ice and put it back when you are done. I do this a lot when fly fishing and changing in and out of waders.

I would try to keep her legs in the air, especially when the fishing is slow......that will keep her warm all day.

On very cold days I prop my feet off the ice using a rectangular plastic milk crate that I cut down to about 4 inches. Doesn't stick to the ice, is durable as all 7734, and I use it to keep odds-n-ends in while not in use.

Another thing to try is if there is extra room in your Voyager, put your feet inside of the sled itself.

The best place to start is with boots. A good set of boots is a must!

LOL-- I kind of like deaceye's idea, i will have to see what the wife thinks of it smile