• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Wife or Hunting which one needs to go??

swedishpimple

Marriage is a give and take.

First of all, marry someone who knows who you are and understands the important things in your life.

Then, understand that she will have to change a little, and so will you. You will lose some of your "freedoms". That is just the way it is.

If you have kids...then it changes even more. Family comes first! If you don't agree, don't get married and don't have a family!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All GREAT advice not just for marriages, but for any relationship in general!!

I have been married and, fitting to this thread, that ended due to my time in the field and on the water. I should have seen that from a mile (or two) off marrying a big city girl. At first, she was fine with all my time away. As time wore on, she became less and less tolerant with my outings. OR yeah, she had “HER” time, we hand “OUR” time and I had “MY” time. However, when the time scales tipped to far to one side, I realized life is too short to constantly deal with this kind of behavior. She knew “who” I was and what I was all about… But that was not enough… She actually saved me the trouble of filing and the rest is history. No kids, thank God!!!

I don’t mean to be the “rectal opening”, but life IS too short to have to go through bad times just to do the things you’ve always loved. Sure, marriage and relationships are about compromise. But not about losing who you are. I made the mistake of marrying the wrong woman. I was too young and too stupid to see what was down the road. If you feel you’re in that same boat, do what you can to try and work things out, Communication is the key. If nothing comes of it, then it’s time to make some decisions…

I think Popeye said it best… “I amsk who I amsk…

I have been working a lot over the past 5 years and have little to no time for hunting and fishing. When I do get a chance I catch k-e-doublehockeysticks from the wife for being gone all the time.

I was on a 4 day trip but was home the morning of the day we left and the afternoon when we got back. I was gone deer hunting opening weekend and last weekend. Not sure about this weekend or muzzleloader. I understand is is a month of weekends I am hunting, but still very little compared to so many other guys.

I hope in the future to have accomodations at deer camp so she can come with.

Not sure if I want to deal with this [PoorWordUsage] every hunting season for the next 50 years.

How do you other guys and gals deal with this issue??

Im gonna need to see a few pictures of her before I make an assessment.

Jeez, grow some seeds man. My wife's birthday is Nov 8th. I haven't been home to celebrate it with her since I can remember (we've been married 19 years), I haven't been home 5 of the last 6 Thanksgiving weeks, and I've missed a Christmas or two as well - all for hunting. Not to mention me and the boy fish muskies every weekend from June until late October. You have to be who you are and she can't make you be someone you're not. She needs to learn to deal. If she was passionate about something would you try to prevent her from doing it, or guilt her when she does? Most likely not.

My wife gives me [PoorWordUsage] about being gone all the time hunting,fishing & softball. I told her you know what the difference is between you and the walleye on the wall? I enjoyed catching the walleye. Needless to say I've been sleeping on the couch for 3 days now. But I think I made my point.

Holy He##, almost posted a pic of my wife in next to nothing with a hand gun but chose not to cause some of you may know her. We are both bartenders and the last thing I need is to get ratted out by the internet! ha ha Since the get go I made it VERY CLEAR that from sept-dec i'll be shooting something somewhere. Then I gave her a ring and said "you dont get october." What do you know, the only date open in 2007 at the MN Horse and Hunt club, to get married, was pheasant opener! YUP, I love her and want to make her happy so that was it. She got October. Got to shoot the morning of the wedding with the guys and even got a rooster before the wedding. All in a days work. Lay the ground work before you say "I do" and you'll get to hunt when you want. Just be prepared to pull your weight around the house while you hunt 5 days per week. Found that out the hard way.

My wife gives me [PoorWordUsage] about being gone all the time hunting,fishing & softball. I told her you know what the difference is between you and the walleye on the wall? I enjoyed catching the walleye. Needless to say I've been sleeping on the couch for 3 days now. But I think I made my point.

That is awesome LOL

Waste of money is the argument I can't get away from. Diamonds and jewelry are the thing I throw out there when waste of money pops up. It makes her happy to have them but they are nothing more than rocks and dont do a thing. Waste of money?!?! At least with hunting you can provide some food and actually do something. I don't say anything about the "rocks" until waste of money comes up, that one just drives me nuts. Once the diamonds and other stuff goes, then hunting can go. Doubt that would ever happen.

its a tough go every fall but when its done I just start fishing again theirs only a few slow weeks that I'm not doing some hunting or fishing the only real time I aint fishing is the hot days of summer mand then its to hot to go outside so... she does hate the fall cuz I wake up early but if she put up to the first three years I think I'm in the clear hope things work out good luck!!!

Guys, just keep your mock scrape at home active and she'll allow the hunting! smile I just finished rubbing my antlers on the x-mas tree, made a scrape under the branches, now I just need my doe to tease me for awhile and I'll run her down. Told her I'd like to have multiple does.........she said you'd get multiple fractures. Have a good Holiday season everyone ! M.B. smile

couldn't have said it better ace. When I met my wife, I told her that I will be gone a lot during the fall, and if she isn't okay with it, she doesn't have to stick around. She's learned to live with it, and I make up for it later in the year. She learned that hunting (and fishing) is part of who I am, and that I spend a lot of time doing it. Plus, she can't really complain when I come home with meat for the freezer!