• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone successul yet??

splakeshaker

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I just shot my first archery deer today and man what a blast. I have never had to calm my nerves down so much I could barely hold still. I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest and run away.

What I shot tonight was a small doe at about 36 yards. And man was it a hard shot. She was up hill and facing me. I was about 50 yards out and I had to stalk up to her to get a good shot. Well when I got to a point where I felt good shooting I took the shot. When I got the sights lined up I just watched that arrow slowly make its way to the deer like it was slow motion. Then thwak the arrow hits and she runs. At first I thought I missed cause I saw the arrow sink a little bit, but then realized I made a great shot. I went down the trail she ran and 50 yards later there she was laying there dead within minuets. I was more excited this time then I was last year when I shot my first deer ever with a gun. I figured since I am a big archery fanatic that this was more exciting for me and a bigger thrill. I have got to say I LOVE the montec G5 broadheads. That left one heck of a hole and did its job. I would have to say I am very pleased with my shot and shot placement for shooting up hill and with the deer facing me.

This is one down and many more to come!

I had 4 does out in front of me last night but I couldn't get a shot ( I still need one for the freezer). On the other hand I was thinking "decoys"!!!!

They were moving early with the cooler weather. I think it's supposed to warm up later this week which could hurt the deer movement.

Because of my wife being laid up I have not been able to hunt at all this year. Finally lined up a ton of help for her last week so I could go on my annual Black Hills trip.

The weather was very unpredictable, changing wind directions sometimes two, three times a day. Hunted hard for the big boy without success and finally took a big doe the last morning. I watched a river crossing from 300 yards away that morning and saw 18 deer (two nice bucks) and 6 turkeys cross there. I thought there were no more deer left to come by me, then another whole herd came right to me! There were 5 right under me, when I shot there were tails everywhere! Must have been 10 - 12 deer near me. Believe I saw about 30 deer that morning.

DSC01795.jpg

We still had 3 turkey tags to fill which was not a huge problem since we had 100 birds (no kidding) roosting right behind camp.

DSC01792.jpg

My partner Gary with a "double".

Was a great week, my wife is coming along nicely so hopefully I'll be able to get some more hunting in before long.

Ya, I had a doe and three fawns walk between my ladder and the tree on sat. night. I wanted to take the big doe, but all of those eyes just didnt make it possible for me to ever even draw before they were to far. Never knew I was there, and never smelled me cuz the wind was perfect. it was by far the closest encounter I have ever had...It was awsome! The image of those deer walking around that close to me will be burned in my mind forever.