Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Team Walleye

Accessories for my Vexilar

19 posts in this topic

I recently bought a Vexilar FL-8se with the Genz box. I bought and installed the digital depth and battery indicator and installed the eye hook for the transducer cable. Would I benefit from getting the mag shield or a soft case?

 

opinions are appreciated!

 

Bryan

IMG_9212.JPG

IMG_9213.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Team Walleye said:

I recently bought a Vexilar FL-8se with the Genz box. I bought and installed the digital depth and battery indicator and installed the eye hook for the transducer cable. Would I benefit from getting the mag shield or a soft case?

 

opinions are appreciated!

 

Bryan

 

 

 

Bryan, Welcome to HSO. That's a good unit you bought and it should last many years of use. The shield is nice if your out on the ice when it is snowing.  And cover to protect it can be a good thing as well.  Good luck with your new unit. :)

bobbymalone likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Leech! From looking around it seems like a great site. I wasn't sure if getting a case would hinder me from seeing the digital depth or not. 

leech~~ and monstermoose78 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Team Walleye said:

Thanks Leech! From looking around it seems like a great site. I wasn't sure if getting a case would hinder me from seeing the digital depth or not. 

 

The cases can be kind of a problems at times. Some work better then others. A lot has to do how much they open up to get at things. You maybe right though with the depth reader now mounted kind of behind it, it maybe harder to see in a case. I think a Genz box may fit right into a 5gal bucket without the eye bolt on the front? Some guys just use them to carry it around in to protect it when not in use. Also if you have a float on your ducer cable I would not use the eye bolt. I have never used them and they just get in the way and hook things. I usually just set my locator along side or behind the ice hole and let the float hold the ducer in the hole.

 

Edited by leech~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It looks like the newer red vexilar cases are better, but my FL-18 is mounted on a pro pack in the old blue soft case like I have in the picture and it sucks.   The little plastic window with the zipper just isn't big enough.  I usually unzip the case and fold it under the head unit so it's not in the way and I can easily access the controls.  It is nice to keep the ducer and wires under control when it's time to go home though.  The carry handle on my case is about 5 threads away from breaking and I think my FL18 will be mounted on a Genz pack next year, which at least has a spot to hold the ducer. The Genz pack DOES NOT fit in a 5 gal bucket.  My pro pack does.  I've heard the Genz pack fits in one of those square kitty litter buckets though.  I've also heard that the Genz pack likes to slide around on the ice, which isnt a problem for the soft case.  I've seen some easy fixes for the sliding issue on the internets though.

 

The mag screen thing is great, protects it and keeps snow out. Sometimes glare is an issue, but it's easy to just pop it off.  Unfortunately, after years of it rubbing against the plastic window on my case it's pretty scratched up.   

 

I switched to a 'bird a few years ago and the case is much better.   I keep the FL18 around as a backup and for friends/the wife.  It's bulletproof and served me well for many years, plus a handful more for the dude I bought it from.  Zero maintenance required, knock on wood.  Enjoy your FL8.  It's game changer.   

 

VexilarSoftPackSP0001-S.jpg

Edited by bobbymalone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

It looks like the newer red vexilar cases are better, but my FL-18 is mounted on a pro pack in the old blue soft case like I have in the picture and it sucks.   The little plastic window with the zipper just isn't big enough.  I usually unzip the case and fold it under the head unit so it's not in the way and I can easily access the controls.  It is nice to keep the ducer and wires under control when it's time to go home though.  The carry handle on my case is about 5 threads away from breaking and I think my FL18 will be mounted on a Genz pack next year, which at least has a spot to hold the ducer. The Genz pack DOES NOT fit in a 5 gal bucket.  My pro pack does.  I've heard the Genz pack fits in one of those square kitty litter buckets though.  I've also heard that the Genz pack likes to slide around on the ice, which isnt a problem for the soft case.  I've seen some easy fixes for the sliding issue on the internets though.

 

The mag screen thing is great, protects it and keeps snow out. Sometimes glare is an issue, but it's easy to just pop it off.  Unfortunately, after years of it rubbing against the plastic window on my case it's pretty scratched up.   

 

I switched to a 'bird a few years ago and the case is much better.   I keep the FL18 around as a backup and for friends/the wife.  It's bulletproof and served me well for many years, plus a handful more for the dude I bought it from.  Zero maintenance required, knock on wood.  Enjoy your FL8.  It's game changer.   

 

VexilarSoftPackSP0001-S.jpg

Thanks for all the great info!

leech~~ likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

 The Genz pack DOES NOT fit in a 5 gal bucket.  My pro pack does.  

 

 

Op, sorry bob I stand corrected. No reason to shout! :eek:   :lol:

eyeguy 54 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont care for the eyebolt either.  I grabbed a view cover for my fl18 propack and it is nice when snowing out otherwise it stays tucked away in tackle box in an old lens protector. Grabbed a pair of 1 power readers also and they clear the view up nice. :) Never have used a case so cant tell you if a benefit or not. Welcome to the site ! ! !   

leech~~ likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I dont care for the eyebolt either.  I grabbed a view cover for my fl18 propack and it is nice when snowing out otherwise it stays tucked away in tackle box in an old lens protector. Grabbed a pair of 1 power readers also and they clear the view up nice. :) Never have used a case so cant tell you if a benefit or not. Welcome to the site ! ! !   

 

Thanks for the info!

eyeguy 54 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use view cover all the time on fl 8 se keeps the dust, fish slim, rain, snow, and anything else out. I have been using a blue box for 20 years now and would not change it the fl 8 is darn near bullet proof. Mine fell down the stair many times. 

One nice thing with the blue box is you can mark it to quick measure fish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first got mine I thought I might want to upgrade to the pro or ultra pack... now I'm thinking I will stay with the Genz and add the cover. 

monstermoose78 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you guys who have the Genz box out anything in the bottom from preventing it from slipping on the ice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobby, Would you trade the blue case for a red one ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may just get a soft case to transport the unit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do it its a wise investment. Always on my ultra pack never comes off well worth the $35. The genz pack models are around $25 I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2017 at 6:31 AM, Team Walleye said:

When I first got mine I thought I might want to upgrade to the pro or ultra pack... now I'm thinking I will stay with the Genz and add the cover. 

 

Are you saying they have a soft cover to put over the blue box? Do they have a cover to go over an FL-20 with a pro pack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Do it its a wise investment. Always on my ultra pack never comes off well worth the $35. The genz pack models are around $25 I believe.

Only thing that is holding me back is if I put the case over it I think it will cover up the digital depth dd-100 I put on. 

IMG_9259.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

Are you saying they have a soft cover to put over the blue box? Do they have a cover to go over an FL-20 with a pro pack?

 

Yep that's what he's saying they make one.

11 hours ago, Team Walleye said:

Only thing that is holding me back is if I put the case over it I think it will cover up the digital depth dd-100 I put on. 

IMG_9259.PNG

Good reason to be worried. On my ultra pack I can see it just fine. On the Genz it might be a bit difficult but the back round light on it's pretty bright so I think it should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now



  • Posts

    • Good luck.  Hope your efforts pay off.
    • I'll be getting out again on Tuesday with the bow. It has been very hard finding time to get out this year, between work and a 4 month old at home. Last time out I spent 12 hours in the blind and saw quite a few birds during the middle of the day. Had multiple times where I thought it was going to happen but the Toms wouldn't commit 100%. Making a small adjustment this go round and hoping things come together.
    • Was thinking for hunting and maybe put a plow on it to use at my place up north. Wouldn't be my main driver. Was thinking around 15K for budget but that was before I did much looking mostly on line so far. But might step up in price for the right rig. And a lot of that would depend if I liked the newer V6 engine and 5 speed auto or 6 speed trany and less miles etc. Just by looking at dealer prices on line I would think a guy could find a pretty nice late model for around 20 or less. I think if I bought a nicer later model I would drive it more as they look like they have made the interior a lot nicer and more comfortable than the older ones. On the other hand if I ran across a real clean older one with the in line 6 and not to many miles for the right price that would be an option to. The drawback to a newer shiny one it might take a while before I ran it down the brushy trail.  
    • I am submitting this bird for Sutty on his behalf.     Forum Member: Sutty          
      Date: April 28, 2017
      Team Name: Team 2
      Youth Hunter(17 or younger): No
      Turkey Subspecies: Eastern
      State/Province Bird was Harvested In: Minnesota
       
       
      Turkey’s Stats
      Beard Length 10 inches
      Spur Length 1 & 3/16" 
      Weight 22lb 4oz
      I certify that the measurements listed above are accurate to the best of my ability.
      Forum Member: John Sutton                       Date: 4/28
      Witness: Josh Tschida                     Date: 4/28          
    • Our MN hunt this year was just about as easy as they come.  Sutty and I arrived at different times, he was late, and set up on opposite sides of the field as planned.  I could hear the birds gobbling in the valley below in their usual spot, and they sat there a long time in the cold.  Sutty couldn't see because he was on the back side of a finger of trees because he didn't want to spook anything out since he was late...  Eventually they got down and proceeded to sit on the far hill for a while longer.  I could see a 6 or so males, but suspected most were jakes, and a few hens.     Just when I was getting tired of waiting, about 8:30am, I saw one gobbler enter the field and walk straight towards Sutty's position.  As the bird got in front of Sutty, another nice gobbler came into the field.  I called to him but he wanted nothing to do with me.  Sutty shot the first bird, and the second one didn't know what happened.  Of course Sutty came running out of his blind and scared off the second bird that he didn't even know was there.      Sutty just bought a new house and had to head home asap to help his wife with packing things, and his daughter didn't seem too interested in shooting her own bird this year.  Now that she saw how ridiculously easy it is she probably won't be interested next time either.      I figured I should get to the edge of the field the birds were coming out on, and as I started moving my blind I bumped some hens that hadn't yet come up all the way out of the valley.   I finished getting my blind in place and sat a while, but it seemed we had scared the remaining birds out of the area, or maybe they were just laying low out of the wind.  In any case I went to get some lunch and let things settle down for a while.     After a couple hours of eating and casting for fish that weren't there, I decided I would head back up to sit in my blind.  Just as I reached the top of the hill to see into the field I saw three big gobblers walking across the field.  I ducked down and ran around the edge of the field out of their view to get closer.     I crawled up to about 10yd from the field edge, as far as I could go without being seen, and started calling.  They liked what they heard, but wouldn't commit right away.  After maybe 10 minutes of me cutting and purring, and all three of them strutting and gobbling out at 60-70 yards they started coming.  I couldn't see them well through the brush I was behind, and they didn't want to walk through it.  If I was at the edge of the field I could have shot them, they were within 40yd.  They proceeded to do a big arc along the field edge back to where I had just walked.     After a couple minutes of not seeing them I picked up my call, they gobbled, and then I saw them marching in where I had just walked.  When I last saw them going this direction I had shifted to face that way, I was now facing the tree I just had my back against, which put my butt in a thorn patch and the barrel to one side of the tree.  The birds started walking to the other side, so as they got behind the tree I eased the barrel to the side they were going to come out on.  They started coming up the other side back to the field they were just in and were too close together for a shot.  Finally one eased out in front and I let him have it.  He tipped backwards and rolled back downhill, and didn't even kick until I went over to grab him.  27 yards with the range finder after the fact.       Both birds turned out to be very nice old birds with long spurs.     Sutty's weighted 22lb 4oz, 10" beard, 1 3/16" spurs.  I believe this is his best turkey to date.     My bird weighted 25lb 8oz, 10" beard, 1 1/8" spurs.  My best turkey by weight and age.     Sutty and his bird.        Me and my bird.  I shot from one of the trees above this rock I think.      
    • Got it done in mn.  More to come when I get home.
    • Go to a license agent and buy one for your desired season. Season C, is on process thru May 2nd. Season D, is May 3rd thru May 9th. Season E, is May 10th thru May 16th. Season F, is May 17th thru May 31st. Season F also allows anyone with an unused tag from earlier season to hunt this period as well.   Hope this help PF.  
    • How do the over the counter licenses work this year? I missed last season but would like to get out this year even though I didn't apply for the lottery.
    • What exactly will you be using it for? Driving around the country with the top down, hunting the back woods, fording small creeks?   Do you have a particular budget to stick to?
    • at times the prop will stop on mine, usually when I move it to turn, need to tear into it sometime, I have use fishelectronics for misc. parts
  • Our Sponsors