• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Accessories for my Vexilar

Team Walleye

I recently bought a Vexilar FL-8se with the Genz box. I bought and installed the digital depth and battery indicator and installed the eye hook for the transducer cable. Would I benefit from getting the mag shield or a soft case?

opinions are appreciated!

Bryan

IMG_9212.JPG

IMG_9213.JPG

5 minutes ago, Team Walleye said:

I recently bought a Vexilar FL-8se with the Genz box. I bought and installed the digital depth and battery indicator and installed the eye hook for the transducer cable. Would I benefit from getting the mag shield or a soft case?

Bryan

Bryan, Welcome to HSO. That's a good unit you bought and it should last many years of use. The shield is nice if your out on the ice when it is snowing.  And cover to protect it can be a good thing as well.  Good luck with your new unit. :)

2 hours ago, Team Walleye said:

Thanks Leech! From looking around it seems like a great site. I wasn't sure if getting a case would hinder me from seeing the digital depth or not. 

The cases can be kind of a problems at times. Some work better then others. A lot has to do how much they open up to get at things. You maybe right though with the depth reader now mounted kind of behind it, it maybe harder to see in a case. I think a Genz box may fit right into a 5gal bucket without the eye bolt on the front? Some guys just use them to carry it around in to protect it when not in use. Also if you have a float on your ducer cable I would not use the eye bolt. I have never used them and they just get in the way and hook things. I usually just set my locator along side or behind the ice hole and let the float hold the ducer in the hole.

Edited by leech~~

It looks like the newer red vexilar cases are better, but my FL-18 is mounted on a pro pack in the old blue soft case like I have in the picture and it sucks.   The little plastic window with the zipper just isn't big enough.  I usually unzip the case and fold it under the head unit so it's not in the way and I can easily access the controls.  It is nice to keep the ducer and wires under control when it's time to go home though.  The carry handle on my case is about 5 threads away from breaking and I think my FL18 will be mounted on a Genz pack next year, which at least has a spot to hold the ducer. The Genz pack DOES NOT fit in a 5 gal bucket.  My pro pack does.  I've heard the Genz pack fits in one of those square kitty litter buckets though.  I've also heard that the Genz pack likes to slide around on the ice, which isnt a problem for the soft case.  I've seen some easy fixes for the sliding issue on the internets though.

The mag screen thing is great, protects it and keeps snow out. Sometimes glare is an issue, but it's easy to just pop it off.  Unfortunately, after years of it rubbing against the plastic window on my case it's pretty scratched up.   

I switched to a 'bird a few years ago and the case is much better.   I keep the FL18 around as a backup and for friends/the wife.  It's bulletproof and served me well for many years, plus a handful more for the dude I bought it from.  Zero maintenance required, knock on wood.  Enjoy your FL8.  It's game changer.   

VexilarSoftPackSP0001-S.jpg

Edited by bobbymalone

7 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

It looks like the newer red vexilar cases are better, but my FL-18 is mounted on a pro pack in the old blue soft case like I have in the picture and it sucks.   The little plastic window with the zipper just isn't big enough.  I usually unzip the case and fold it under the head unit so it's not in the way and I can easily access the controls.  It is nice to keep the ducer and wires under control when it's time to go home though.  The carry handle on my case is about 5 threads away from breaking and I think my FL18 will be mounted on a Genz pack next year, which at least has a spot to hold the ducer. The Genz pack DOES NOT fit in a 5 gal bucket.  My pro pack does.  I've heard the Genz pack fits in one of those square kitty litter buckets though.  I've also heard that the Genz pack likes to slide around on the ice, which isnt a problem for the soft case.  I've seen some easy fixes for the sliding issue on the internets though.

The mag screen thing is great, protects it and keeps snow out. Sometimes glare is an issue, but it's easy to just pop it off.  Unfortunately, after years of it rubbing against the plastic window on my case it's pretty scratched up.   

I switched to a 'bird a few years ago and the case is much better.   I keep the FL18 around as a backup and for friends/the wife.  It's bulletproof and served me well for many years, plus a handful more for the dude I bought it from.  Zero maintenance required, knock on wood.  Enjoy your FL8.  It's game changer.   

VexilarSoftPackSP0001-S.jpg

Thanks for all the great info!

I dont care for the eyebolt either.  I grabbed a view cover for my fl18 propack and it is nice when snowing out otherwise it stays tucked away in tackle box in an old lens protector. Grabbed a pair of 1 power readers also and they clear the view up nice. :) Never have used a case so cant tell you if a benefit or not. Welcome to the site ! ! !   

3 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I dont care for the eyebolt either.  I grabbed a view cover for my fl18 propack and it is nice when snowing out otherwise it stays tucked away in tackle box in an old lens protector. Grabbed a pair of 1 power readers also and they clear the view up nice. :) Never have used a case so cant tell you if a benefit or not. Welcome to the site ! ! !   

Thanks for the info!

I use view cover all the time on fl 8 se keeps the dust, fish slim, rain, snow, and anything else out. I have been using a blue box for 20 years now and would not change it the fl 8 is darn near bullet proof. Mine fell down the stair many times. 

One nice thing with the blue box is you can mark it to quick measure fish

On 3/11/2017 at 6:31 AM, Team Walleye said:

When I first got mine I thought I might want to upgrade to the pro or ultra pack... now I'm thinking I will stay with the Genz and add the cover. 

Are you saying they have a soft cover to put over the blue box? Do they have a cover to go over an FL-20 with a pro pack?

2 hours ago, AlwaysFishing23 said:

Do it its a wise investment. Always on my ultra pack never comes off well worth the $35. The genz pack models are around $25 I believe.

Only thing that is holding me back is if I put the case over it I think it will cover up the digital depth dd-100 I put on. 

IMG_9259.PNG

13 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Are you saying they have a soft cover to put over the blue box? Do they have a cover to go over an FL-20 with a pro pack?

Yep that's what he's saying they make one.

11 hours ago, Team Walleye said:

Only thing that is holding me back is if I put the case over it I think it will cover up the digital depth dd-100 I put on. 

IMG_9259.PNG

Good reason to be worried. On my ultra pack I can see it just fine. On the Genz it might be a bit difficult but the back round light on it's pretty bright so I think it should be fine.

On March 9, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Team Walleye said:

Bryan

IMG_9212.JPG

IMG_9213.JPG

Umm.....just a heads up but you got the wrong eye bolt. It should be an easy enough fix though. You just need to spread the eye open enough to let the transducer cord in, but not so far that the rubber stopper can't sit on top of the eye. 

Personally I never use the float. I just use the eye bolt then run the transducer cord right along the edge of the ice in the hole with the transducer head just under the bottom edge of the hole. I find the float causes more tangles with your line. I never take my ducer out when landing a fish either though.

1 hour ago, Agronomist_at_IA said:

Umm.....just a heads up but you got the wrong eye bolt. It should be an easy enough fix though. You just need to spread the eye open enough to let the transducer cord in, but not so far that the rubber stopper can't sit on top of the eye. 

Personally I never use the float. I just use the eye bolt then run the transducer cord right along the edge of the ice in the hole with the transducer head just under the bottom edge of the hole. I find the float causes more tangles with your line. I never take my ducer out when landing a fish either though.

You don't think the plug in end will go through that size eye bolt?

68ad205a-6c7d-4600-ac04-08dd3419af3e_1.fd10aa9e5e377694ba9c558079f12ff8.jpeg

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

You don't think the plug in end will go through that size eye bolt?

68ad205a-6c7d-4600-ac04-08dd3419af3e_1.fd10aa9e5e377694ba9c558079f12ff8.jpeg

Why would you want to do that? It would be a pain. Just take a grinder and cut out a small section so it is like the one from vexilar.

33ec581546485127061317156f4a5739_zpsgba4

Also the nut that is on it is used to snug up/lock the eye bolt flat so it doesn't turn.

Edited by Agronomist_at_IA

I just got rid of my fl-8 Se.  I had the pro pack as i never liked the genz pack.  It looked like a 200 dollar machine on top of a 2 dollar box.  Personally my opinion is upgrade to the pro-pack, and get a soft sided pack.  It more than helps protect and eliminates the need for a mag shield, you can just close the front cover.  When they switched to the red cover, they eliminated a zipper.... imo stupid, but hey im not an engineer, nor do i do cost analysis.  I like that the pro pack fits into a bucket, and is protected on top by the handle.  Myfl-8 had gone through hell and back a few times and still worked like a charm, i had it since i was 16.  I also do not use the I bolt, as the float makes it easier to grab and pull out of the hole if needed.... just my .02 everyone utilizes their machine different.