• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Burgerland

Why didn't I think of this? If these aren't loaded with sodium, I might try 'em.....says 410 mgs per pkg. ( For the Applewood)

Otherwise, what do you usually mix in your burger patties? For me, diced onions, black pepper, and Worcestershire . Always. Not a burger without it.

http://www.mccormick.com/Grill-Mates/Flavors/Burger-Mix-ins

Great minds think alike.  I almost started a thread on burgers as well reb. Me, I'm always mixing something in, it's either hienz 57, A1, or some kind of marinade.  Tonight I mixed stubbs beef marinade in , that was real good. I think burger has a lot to do with it though, no more store bought for me. 

13 hours ago, bobberineyes said:

Great minds think alike.  I almost started a thread on burgers as well reb. Me, I'm always mixing something in, it's either hienz 57, A1, or some kind of marinade.  Tonight I mixed stubbs beef marinade in , that was real good. I think burger has a lot to do with it though, no more store bought for me. 

Bobber, are you saying you grind your own? And if so, what cut of meat do you grind?

Grinding your own does make a difference.  If you do, I like to use chuck roasts when they are on sale.  I have even bought a whole chuck roll boneless and took the chuck eye out for steaks. I few nice roasts and the rest for burgers.  Best ground beef around.  If y ou do have a store that has a service counter, they often have ground chuck and it is ground fresh daily along with their shop trim.  Ya, If you have a farmer and can get it from there that's a bonus for sure.  However I do buy the ground beef in the 3 pound tubes when on sale.  Works for me as well for burgers or adding to the sausage mix with pork butt.  good luck.

52 minutes ago, Boar said:

it seems around jhere findi g a farmer is long gone for bbeef. seems it isn ccost.edfective. we use to by the succh good burger.a ffew years ago then gfarmer retired.

My buddy that farms on the side tells me the price of calves is outrageous, so he hasn't raised any beef for a couple years.  Hard to believe but he said ordinary calves were $600 at the zumbrota livestock auction.   This was last spring.  Don't know what they are now. 

For burgers I add onion powder, garlic powder, salt and peppar.  I don't like anything leaner than 85/15 beef in a burger.  A burger is all about the quality of the beef.   Foley Meats has fantastic burger.  My buddy gets a cow every year and we eat a lot of burgers at the hunting shack.  I would take a blind taste test with the stuff from Foley.

I usually do an egg, some store-bought bread crumbs, and then as bobberineyes does with some kind of sauce that I grab from the fridge: worcestershire, ketchup, bbq sauce, salad dressing, siracha, etc. I don't usually salt the burgers as I find that whatever sides go with it have plenty of sodium already, but black and cayenne peppers for sure. My dad has and always will be a big fan of seasoned salt on everything, including burgers. I can't argue with the taste except for the sodium.

Since I like a more medium to medium-rare burger, I'll cover mine in the fridge for a while to both strengthen the structure of the patty and to cool the center of the burger.

Edited by SkunkedAgain

Cooperman, 80% is not always pure ground chuck and and you can get it cheaper than chuck roasts most of the time except when chucks are on sale.    Now the pure ground chuck in the service case is always more that 80% and even 85% most of the time depending where you shop.  Last week they had chuck roasts on for 2.99 so I bought some, ground it and froze it.  That's some great ground beef, but yes you have to watch for sales.  good luck.

I've gotten into the "smash burger" craze.  I use the side burner on the grill and a cast iron pan.  Good quality beef with only a little salt.  These burgers are very juicy and have nice caramelization on the outside of the patty.  Topping with sauteed onions, thin sliced pickles and whole milk white American cheese.  Yum!

"Smashburger". More foolishness for a normal burger that was made that way for years by old school cooks. Just like Baker's Square "Crushburger".  I haveta go read long ramblings of off-topic  stories on the cooking threads now to keep on top of topics. Don't wanna miss anything, ya know. Or get too many "likes".

3 hours ago, RebelSS said:

"Smashburger". More foolishness for a normal burger that was made that way for years by old school cooks. Just like Baker's Square "Crushburger".  I haveta go read long ramblings of off-topic  stories on the cooking threads now to keep on top of topics. Don't wanna miss anything, ya know. Or get too many "likes".

Sorry for posting.