• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Generator

Moon Lake Refuge

Hey all,

Looking into options for power and keep going back and forth from solar to wind to generator.  We have and older 3000w that runs pretty loud so if we stick with a generator will probably buy new.  Any reason we would need a 2000 over a 1000?  Cant imagine ever running more than 1000 watts and usually much much less.  Anything else comparable to honda?  like that its quiet but the price point is high(I know you get what you pay for).  We are going to run 2 6v golf cart batteries and usually arent out much more than a weekend but would like to take some week long trips.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

Went through the same decision process when I built my house. Everything is LED, I have a low wattage TV, and my furnace uses minimal juice. That being said, I pulled the trigger on a generator anyway. I ended up getting the powerhorse 2000 from Northern (the blue PowerHORSE, not black PowerHOUSE) and couldn't be happier. I get about 13 hours per tank of fuel, it starts when and actually seems quieter than the red ones (Yes... I have experience with both!). I decided to go the "cheaper" route because I didn't know how often I would use it. I have spent 12 nights in the shack this year and have utilized in roughly 65% of the time, so roughly 200 hours of use. I like the fact that it comes with the parallel cables in case I want to buy a second one to run my camper AC while boondocking or hunting. I do wish that it had a 12 volt outlet like the hondas, but haven't found a need for them yet. The first time out, it got down to -27 below and the generator run without an issue all night. That same weekend we shut it down for a few hrs in the afternoon (-10 below) to see how well it would start.... 2nd pull and we were off to the races. Don't get me wrong, the Honda's are wonderful machines - but so far the $400 savings was well worth it. I guess that time will only tell as to how long it will hold up, but I am a happy customer!

Good info.  Been looking at that one.  Seems all the reviews are negative but they all look to be from Honda owners who haven't actually run the powerhorse :( good to get some first hand feedback!

A buddy and I also have the newer power horse 2000w model. Nothing but good to say about them.  We run them both ice fishing and for bow fishing at night in the summer. Only issue my buddy has was his not starting due to low oil so it's a good safety deal there.   Anytime I have run mine next to another buddy's Honda it is quiter I think.  I definitely recommend getting one 

1 hour ago, gunner55 said:

I think Boar has a 2 year old eu2000i Honda that he's looking to sell. Just seen it posted this week(free listing - for sale forum)

Thanks Gunner... Probably going to wait until fall to pick one up.  No chance of needing it in our house this year and my camper at the cabin has a dedicated outlet so no immediate need just looking for next winter.  I have been looking at solar and wind but it seems for any kind of decent set up there I'll be in as much or more than a generator without any guarantee of power.  Thanks for all the info.  

RL- I saw good reviews there but when I went to a bunch of independent sites and forums it was just a bunch of people with Honda bashing them.  Both seem like good units and I know Honda make a great generator just looking to save a few bucks.

I did a lot of research on this when I bought mine a year ago.  Mostly looked between the two top name brands Honda and Yamaha.  I initially was going to get a Yamaha but after doing some research I found out that they rate their units differently.  Yes, they might both be 2000W (16.7A) generators but that is their "surge" rating.  They are both also rated for continuous use of 1600W (13.3A).  The big difference here is that Honda rates their machine for 30-minutes at the surge rating without any damage.  Yamaha will only drive a load of 1850-1900W for around 20 seconds then shut down. 

Probably the biggest reason why I bought the Honda was the option for an external gas tank.  Honda generators have a fuel pump so they have the option to have an external tank.  Yamahas do not have a fuel pump and are gravity fed internally.  I did some more digging online and found you can externally gravity feed a Yamaha but there really isn't any kits to do it and its a bit of a pain to do.  I'm actually averaging about 11 hrs/gal right now with my Honda (rated for like 8 hrs/gal so I'm a little impressed here) so with my 6 gallon external tank plus the .95 gallon internal tank I can get around 56-77 hours without ever having to deal with gas. 

I can barely hear the unit outside my shack when its right next to my truck so I just let it run the entire time I'm on the ice.  With gas at $1.60 it's only costing me $0.15 an hour to have power and I never have to deal with gas the entire weekend.  Just for machine longevity I'm doing oil changes around every 50 hours (no oil filter so this is normal for most generators of this size).  On a normal weekend all I have to do is make sure my external tank is full of gas, start up the generator, and plug in the shack.  I don't worry about it the entire time I'm on the ice, basically like being connected to shore power at home. 

8 minutes ago, YettiStyle said:

I did a lot of research on this when I bought mine a year ago.  Mostly looked between the two top name brands Honda and Yamaha.  I initially was going to get a Yamaha but after doing some research I found out that they rate their units differently.  Yes, they might both be 2000W (16.7A) generators but that is their "surge" rating.  They are both also rated for continuous use of 1600W (13.3A).  The big difference here is that Honda rates their machine for 30-minutes at the surge rating without any damage.  Yamaha will only drive a load of 1850-1900W for around 20 seconds then shut down. 

Probably the biggest reason why I bought the Honda was the option for an external gas tank.  Honda generators have a fuel pump so they have the option to have an external tank.  Yamahas do not have a fuel pump and are gravity fed internally.  I did some more digging online and found you can externally gravity feed a Yamaha but there really isn't any kits to do it and its a bit of a pain to do.  I'm actually averaging about 11 hrs/gal right now with my Honda (rated for like 8 hrs/gal so I'm a little impressed here) so with my 6 gallon external tank plus the .95 gallon internal tank I can get around 56-77 hours without ever having to deal with gas. 

I can barely hear the unit outside my shack when its right next to my truck so I just let it run the entire time I'm on the ice.  With gas at $1.60 it's only costing me $0.15 an hour to have power and I never have to deal with gas the entire weekend.  Just for machine longevity I'm doing oil changes around every 50 hours (no oil filter so this is normal for most generators of this size).  On a normal weekend all I have to do is make sure my external tank is full of gas, start up the generator, and plug in the shack.  I don't worry about it the entire time I'm on the ice, basically like being connected to shore power at home. 

Yetti, that's what I do too, oil change after every weekend sometimes 70 plus hours but I'm using synthetic and I'm good to go. This is my 7th season on my honda the only gripe I have is it's hard to start when really cold and I have had issues at -35 and colder freezing the crankcase breather/vent but solved that by putting it in a storage bin with a lid it stays nice and toasty in there. I wish I had an hour meter but can only guess that I have between 1500 and 1700 hours on it.

FYI, I believe the Honda has a way to tell you how many hours when it starts up. One of the LED's blinks for every 100 hours, something like that. I read it in my manual not too long ago. Sorry, I don't remember the exact specifics, but check the manual.

That being said, I do like my Honda, but one thing I hate is how cold blooded it is. It was easy to throw onto the RV loan for the ice cabin, so cost really wasn't one of my deciding factors.

It really can be a pain in the rear to start in the cold. More than once I've had to warm it up in the truck before it would start. I'm not sure if it's the high octane gas in the cold, or something else. I think it ends up flooding out and not starting. (I only run non oxy, which I can only find in premium). It's not the end of the world, because if I'm out using it, I have my truck and wheel house by default. 

It is quiet, as many others are as well. I built a dog house for it so it's never frozen up on me or gotten snowed on, wet, etc. I try to treat things pretty good.

It runs my whole house, chargers, Keureg coffee maker, pizza oven, tv's, electric heater, etc. (Honda 2000). If I didn't want to make coffee, I would probably have gone with the 1000 watt version.

My only other experience with generators, are with really large Honda's (8000 watt) or lawnmower loud smaller units I've used for off grid construction projects. Never fishing.

Good luck with your decision, it's one with many correct answers.

42 minutes ago, rustysetter said:

Yetti, that's what I do too, oil change after every weekend sometimes 70 plus hours but I'm using synthetic and I'm good to go. This is my 7th season on my honda the only gripe I have is it's hard to start when really cold and I have had issues at -35 and colder freezing the crankcase breather/vent but solved that by putting it in a storage bin with a lid it stays nice and toasty in there. I wish I had an hour meter but can only guess that I have between 1500 and 1700 hours on it.

Rusty -

I use synthetic too (mobil 5w30 for colder weather) but that is not the reason you should change your oil so frequently in these smaller generators.  That synthetic would last 150 hours before starting to brea down. The real reason why you need to change the oil so frequently (approx. every 50 hours) is because there is no oil filter.  Metal shavings happen in any motor all the time, its just the nature of any mechanical operation.  Without any filter, these metal particles are basically acting as an abrasive in your motor which can cause more damage.  The more frequently you change your oil, the more you can mitigate the amount of particles that are wearing on your motor. 

Instead of the storage bin you can also install the cold weather kit (link below).  Not really a DIY kit but you will never have to worry about your breather tube freezing up or having to snake your fuel line/electrical cords through the storage bin.  http://www.babbittshondageneratorhouse.com/product/2897/honda-eu2000i-generator-breather-heater-kit

An hour meter is a real easy install actually.  Below is a link and a picture on the one I installed when my generator was new.  Took about 10 minutes and no hand tools required.  Just wrap the wire provided around the spark plug wire, run wire through the spark plug portal in the plastic case, insert wire into hour meter, and using two 3M wall adhesive strips stick it to the plastic case (you can trim the extra on the adhesive strips, I just forgot too). 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A43PKO4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

20160216_222929_resized.thumb.jpg.9d9ee3

3 hours ago, YettiStyle said:

Rusty -

I use synthetic too (mobil 5w30 for colder weather) but that is not the reason you should change your oil so frequently in these smaller generators.  That synthetic would last 150 hours before starting to brea down. The real reason why you need to change the oil so frequently (approx. every 50 hours) is because there is no oil filter.  Metal shavings happen in any motor all the time, its just the nature of any mechanical operation.  Without any filter, these metal particles are basically acting as an abrasive in your motor which can cause more damage.  The more frequently you change your oil, the more you can mitigate the amount of particles that are wearing on your motor. 

Instead of the storage bin you can also install the cold weather kit (link below).  Not really a DIY kit but you will never have to worry about your breather tube freezing up or having to snake your fuel line/electrical cords through the storage bin.  http://www.babbittshondageneratorhouse.com/product/2897/honda-eu2000i-generator-breather-heater-kit

An hour meter is a real easy install actually.  Below is a link and a picture on the one I installed when my generator was new.  Took about 10 minutes and no hand tools required.  Just wrap the wire provided around the spark plug wire, run wire through the spark plug portal in the plastic case, insert wire into hour meter, and using two 3M wall adhesive strips stick it to the plastic case (you can trim the extra on the adhesive strips, I just forgot too). 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A43PKO4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

20160216_222929_resized.thumb.jpg.9d9ee3

Thanks for the info Yetti! I will definitely put an hour meter on my next one and consider the heater too, the bin can be a hassle but it works and handy for transporting. Do you change oil out on the lake once you hit 50 hours or do you wait until you get back. This week we'll be out 2 full days but normally we're out 3 or 4.

2 minutes ago, rustysetter said:

Thanks for the info Yetti! I will definitely put an hour meter on my next one and consider the heater too, the bin can be a hassle but it works and handy for transporting. Do you change oil out on the lake once you hit 50 hours or do you wait until you get back. This week we'll be out 2 full days but normally we're out 3 or 4.

Yup!  Takes me only about 10 minutes max to change the oil.  I just turn it off, let it sit for about 10 minutes (or less if its really cold outside) just to let the oil cool down a little bit.  If you don't already have one of these GET ONE!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Changes-Honda-EU2000i-EU1000i-Generator/dp/B00O74RMZG/ref=pd_sim_86_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ra4%2Be8ofL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0R59E92BZX2ST3VJTEEF

Haven't spilled a drop of oil using this thing, so much easier/cleaner than Honda's built in dump.  I always have a couple small pieces of 2x4 in my truck bed so after I let it cool I just bring the generator inside and put a couple 2x4's under the black rubber feet.  Take off the service panel, unscrew the oil cap/dipstick, insert the little no mess tool, and tilt the generator to get the oil to come out.  Putting the 2x4's gives you a little more room and lets you put a bottle or anything else under to catch the oil (I usually just use a red solo cup). 

Whatever you do, don't use that tool when you fill the generator back up with oil.  You cannot see how much oil is in with it installed so if you overfill and try to unscrew it you have a serious mess on your hands.  I just got a long narrow funnel that I use to fill and it works great. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGZ5FK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

One other tip for quicker/easier oil changes is the next time you change your oil, pour your used oil into a clear container (I used a clear cup).  Take another container of the same size (another clear cup) and mark the level of the oil with a sharpie.  This way whenever you fill up your generator all you have to do is pour the new oil into your new measuring cup then into the generator.  Much easier than blindly putting in oil and checking it 20 times.  Make sure you save that cup or make multiple ones. 

5 hours ago, YettiStyle said:

That looks like a slick tool.  I made a little oil change tool out of PVC.  I'll attach a video where you see it right away.  Only cost a few bucks and took a minute.  

For the OP, I have a Honda 2000.  I run all LEDs, etc.  There are times you will want the 2000.  Last weekend I was running 3 crockpots and had four guys charging phones, etc.  Also, lost power last summer after a storm and was able to power a full refrigerator and chest freezer.  If you want to go cheap, check out the Generac model.  They have one a high end model at Home Depot for $800.  They also have a different model at Costco for $500.  The cheaper one gets great reviews and I have a relative who has done some work with the company and he thinks they are pretty good.  I also have a friend with a 2000 made by Smarter Tools.  Works great and he got it for $500.  I have see both manufactures run sales.  Each of these cheaper options are similar decibel levels to the Hondas.  Good luck.  

I have a Honda 2000 and use the same pvc piece as above to change oil.  It works great.  I used my 2000 a coup,e years ago when the power was out for 3 days after a storm.  It ran the fridge in the house, chest freezer in the garage, sump pump, and my beer fridge in the garage.  Once in a while it would ramp up to high when 2 of the 4 would start at the same time.  

I have a Polaris 2000 watt that I bought last fall.  Have not used it in a wheel house but have used it for work and other times at home.  Runs very quite and starts with one or two pulls.  Happy with it so far but would like to use it for a weekend fishing to see how it performs

Naw. Japan just had an earthquake again. Mainland china is where it is at. I'll play it safe knowing china has enough people to keep a plant going and things moving. Plus with the economic forecast of slow economic growth and talk of interest rates rising I like the price points the Chinese can deliver the product at. I'm just glad knowing china will never be able to compete with U.S. Agriculture when it comes to raising a bushel of corn or soybeans. Of course with the TTP trade agreement in political sights both might be a bad bet. Lol

Edited by Agronomist_at_IA

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

Price point justifies quality? Not for me. 

Quality and price point are two different things.

Price point is what an item cost in a market place after all cost and margins are figured. A low price point doesn't mean low quality. Example is food produced in America is the highest quality food in the world, yet it is the cheapest price point for the world. Having a low price point is good because consumption of the product goes up. 

Quality  can mean a lot of different things. We are led to believe from branding/marketing preceptions that quality isn't possible at low prices. We are led to believe that the more expensive something is the higher quality it is....which is false a lot of the time. Example $0.99 bottle of water and a $5.00 bottle of water. Marketing/branding are done for one thing. To create customer perception and illusion of quality/value creating demand to pay more for a product, which isn't worth more most the time. 

Edited by Agronomist_at_IA

I have a champion generator that's a year old at my Ontario cabin. I have had zero issues with it. Runs great it just hit 906 hours on it. The only down side is its a little loud.  We run the generator for up to a week at a time with out shutting it down. I had a chance to try a new Yamaha 2000 watt version 2 this summer very quite and very easy on fuel.