• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

20# vs 1#

hamms-scooter

So when you're running a 20 pounder, what do you do when you're out fishing and it runs out?? Carry a spare or go home?

Not sure the difference between a 20# and a 1# in this question. You either go home, use your spare or you don't have heat...

If the 20# feels to light I stop and get it topped off. Easy as pie. I wish everyone would use a 20# tank, so I do not have to pick up so many 1# empties off the lake. Also it is cheaper to use a 20# tank vs. the 1#

Exactly! I just have it filled if it feels light. Especially if my bride is going with me thermal otter or not no heat means unhappy wife lol. I am also going back to using my 5# tank for early ice. No more dealing with those 1# tanks for me.

So when you're running a 20 pounder, what do you do when you're out fishing and it runs out?? Carry a spare or go home?
Do you run out of gas in your truck headed to the lake? Probably not, You fill up first if you see it getting low. I have a 1200 full thermal otter cabin not going to run out of propane ... ever grin

I was just curious whether people were carrying a spare 20 pound tank around, which would be a pain in the arse, or whether they had a special gauge on them. I would think if you had one of those smaller 5 or even 10 pound tanks that you'd have to have them refilled almost every time out -- just to make sure you don't run out.

If the 20# feels to light I stop and get it topped off. Easy as pie. I wish everyone would use a 20# tank, so I do not have to pick up so many 1# empties off the lake. Also it is cheaper to use a 20# tank vs. the 1#

If you use your ice scooper you can get those empty one pounders pushed under the ice....

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Its not just one pounders that get left, last weekend I picked up two empty glass beer bottles, a pop can, some plastic wraps, all around someones ice house that had been moved. Slobs.

I run an #11 pounder and fill it about every 8-10 times out...so thats about every 2-3 weeks. Like the others were saying I fill it up if it starts feeling low.

I once ran out several years ago during a hot bite and since then I've kept a #1 pounder in the bottom of my shack just as a back up.

My current set up of running a #11 pounder has payed for it self years ago, not to mention my eco footprint.

I also use the 20 and big buddy in my voyager, but always pull it with atv or sled so no weight issue. When I bring the Otter Cabin that one gets 1 pounders and a regular buddy, though I am thinking about getting another hose for a 20#. That is usually when I have enough guests for two shacks. And in the perm we use 20's with a wall mount ventless, and I think we went through 3.5 of those this season.

If I was walking and pulling by hand, I would use 1# for sure smile

I used 1#ers until a cross thread incident almost cost me dearly. When walking, I use a 5# which I usually have to get filled for each outing. Once driving I switch to a 20#. I have a digital scale that I weighed the empty tank and then the tank when full. I wrote the wts on the side. I have a good idea of normal use per outing and now a quick weigh of the tank let's me know if I need to add before heading out.