• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rubber, PVC, or Nylon net?

Agronomist_at_IA

There is no perfect net, but the coated nets are in my opinion the best available option.

Uncoated nets are hard on fish and hooks easily get stuck in the material weave.

Rubber nets are heavy and more importantly, they are difficult to move through the water to swoop at a fish (even worse in current).

Coated mesh nets are lightweight, move through the water easily and are relatively tangle free.

I'll bet you'll go back to the coated net after missing a few fish with the solid rubber net wink

I might but doubt it. I don't care to untangle hooks from it for 15min after every fish i catch. Hence y I'm gonna try the rubber. I've had a few times the pvc tangled so much I cut off and replaced the lure hook. Also had it where the hook went into the seem on it and had to cut off and replace hook. couldn't get it out of the seam. Maybe your right, guess i'll find out.

I might but doubt it. I don't care to untangle.....

Jeez, you were the one who asked for opinions........

Sorry for chiming in blush

What I meant to say is the money you spent on that new rubber net is the best money you will have ever spent in your life. Ever. Good job and here is a pat on the back laugh

It's been a while but I have, on several occasions, had nice northerns go right through the stretchy mesh of a rubber net. Not to mention the reason we named it the "fish trampoline".
yep, been there moved on from rubber nets years ago. Never going back.

Love my ego slider net. There were two different net designs and the one I have I don't believe is offered anymore.it has the square bottom and more round holes. I had hooks get tangled once and that was an angry 35" slimer who did a barrel roll. Otherwise they pop out with little effort at all.

Jeez, you were the one who asked for opinions........

Sorry for chiming in blush

What I meant to say is the money you spent on that new rubber net is the best money you will have ever spent in your life. Ever. Good job and here is a pat on the back laugh

Oh....sorry.....I think you read that the wrong way. the feeling I was trying to portray was that Your more then likely correct and giving me good advice, but I think for $12 I'll still try it due to hating having my treble hooks getting tangled for 15-20min. It was suppose to come across more laid back and not meant to be a snide remark. So if it came off that way. I apologize. Thanks for the input.

I fish with a lot of raps mainly large deep diving raps and went to a rubber net. I love the way most of the time once I unhook the fish I can just give the net a little shake and the rap drops out! wink

Thanks kinda how it worked when I was on a zipple bay charter on lake of the woods 2 years ago. he had a rubber net and I can't remember the raps getting stuck in it.

Most the fishing I've been doing down here is prarrie bowl lakes with silt in them, so I pull a lot of raps and cover water.

When rubber nets first came on the scene they were heavily pushed by the TV shows so, of course, I had to try one. I quickly shelved the better mousetrap after finding them clunky in the water and having several fish flip out of the shallow bottomed net and crash to the floor of my boat. IMO the best nets on the market are the Frabrill coated. I have two of then in medium and musky sizes. They are deep enough to hold a fish in the net and keep it in the water when releasing it. Something that is difficult to do with the rubber net especially a large fish. I have never had any difficulty with tangled fish, stuck hooks or other problems when using the Frabrill coated nets. And both are over 10 years old and are as good as new.

My primary use of nets is when I am seeking bigger fish like pike, musky, lakers and sturgeon. Otherwise I prefer to hand land most of my catch.

I went rubber net about 6 years ago and love mine, you do have some weight issues talked about and they are not "Big Pike" nets, due to being so shallow, I rarely target bigger pike and the net does still work in that instance but not as well... FWIW I do not have the trampoline issues others mentioned. Maybe it is just me but I love mine and would buy another rubber basket for my net in an instant. I fish mainly Eyes and Craps/Sunfish so the net is used for eyes mainly. I think it is dependent on your fishing style and species preference. Good luck with your search/decision.

I keep two in my boat. A stowaway coated net and a rubber one. I use the rubber one on hum pie and trout or as a back up for when my coated one has a kwikfish and 10lb silver flopping around tangled in the net and need to net another fish. The rubber is good and easy for catch and release and dealing with lots of hooks. the coated is better for scooping.

I prefer to use the coated but cant stand having to untangle hooks out of the net after every fish, especially with clients in the boat.

I have one rubber which I use 75% of time, it's heavier but most of the being then are for bass,crappies and walleye. Two coated nets one stow-away for Muskies the other, A Beckman pen net for pike and for fishing guide trips, has extra long handle.