• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp and other Rough fish pics

HotPocket

lots of good trout water down there.

i've never gotten a brookie, i just haven't found them, but i heard that when you do they're pretty easy to catch. but browns and bows can be pretty challenging.

you'll love it, they're beautiful fish and there's a real zen to catching them

here is a carp i caught (2009) with an arrow hole in it. just to be clear, i didn't shood this fish, it was still alive and it picked up my bait.

the sad part is, bowfishing on this part of the river is illegal. now, i know carp can migrate over large distances, but that would mean that this fish would have to jump over dams, and swim through water under an inch deep to have come from legal bowfishing waters

Ben_is_cool-0065.jpg

Ben_is_cool-0066.jpg

ok, for real now, lets get back to up-to-date photos

Trout Streams rarely have a dam or more than one...

Your story does not match up

Must have been fishing the Vermillion where not all of its waters are trout-designated and the closest dam is in Hastings and that is a far way from the trout waters

sould've made myself more clear, i meant beaver dams.

now i know that carp could likely jump over beaver dams, but that still means that that fish would have to travel many miles to get to where i caught it, and it would have to swim past not only beaver dams, but also areas of water that are only a few inches deep or have no water at all. and on top of that, the wound was still fresh

i went on a walk by that river a couple days ago, on designated trout water, and i ran into people bowfishing. i reminded them that its illegal to bowfish in that river and that the season starts may 1st.

to tell the truth, i regret posting that pic. it was an uncalled for rant and i apologize

went out scouting for bowfishing south of town and found a huge portion of flooded grass full of carp, buffalo, and gar, it will be a slaughter fest when the season opens up.

found a culvert where the buffalo were stacked and caught these 2 on a jig sight fishing, i was suprised on how they came up and looked at the gold jig and sucked it in.

this is the only time of the year you would find me with a rod and reel for rough fish, after May 1st it will be with an arrow grin

they were C&R

Here's a decent Sucker I caught while out baitfishing. I forgot there is quite a following of roughfish over here ... I'll have to start taking pictures for you guys laugh I catch so many roughfish while out baitfishing!

Image004-1.jpg

Oh, btw this one was around 15 1/2"

Hey thanks roughfish! I have been using a super ultralight ugly stik and like 3 lb. line, and I caught a few larger than that from my honey hole, but the others somehow managed to snap the line right on shore? Probably ran into some rocks I would imagine ... lotta rocks in that area.

I was out catching tonight on the lake I live on, Lake Pepin in Le Sueur County ... man this lake is a very shallow lake, with one deeper hole. Full of carp, among other species ... but in the cold winters it will freeze out, except for the hole ... and in the spring you will find all kinds of dead fish on shore. Tonight was no exception, as I saw probably hundreds of dead carp on shore. frown Pretty sad, some of them were large ... in this photo, the bottom left corner fish was right around 15 lbs or so ...

100_0700.jpg