• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Morneau's complaints about "Oh Canada" at All Star Game

DonBo

At the All Star Game, Cheryl Crow sang the National Anthem, then there was a recording of Oh Canada. Morneau was not real happy about it. He thought it should have been handled better.

My thought is, why was Oh Canada sung at all? Isn't St. Louis in the U.S.? Why would the Canadian anthem be sung and not the anthems from Peurto Rico and the Dominican Republic? How about Mexico? There are many more players from these countries playing baseball then there are from Canda.

Why do you suppose he got so upset about that?

It is sung because some of the teams represented at the game are from Canada. If you had a team from Mexico City represented Mexico's anthem would have been played also. It is no different in hockey. If you have two US teams playing you have just one anthem. A US team and a Canadian team would require two anthems.

His complaints are very valid as this is a very big function put on by MLB and they pull out all the stops but when it comes to having the Canadian anthem played they go to a tape recording? WEAK and CHEAP!!!!!

HopkinsFishN- Was this before or after MLB went cheap on the anthem? Either way Morneau is a good guy and very respectible charachter and we are lucky to have him playing for our squad!

Hmmm good point on before or after...Don't remember to be honest. I agree 100% that we're lucky to have him, he's an unbelievable player. I just wondered why he was the only one that didn't take the cap off when they announced him. Coulda been the reasoning for it though huh! Not bashing on him, just figured it's a "class" thing and I wasn't too impressed.

regarding the class thing......my impression of him is that he is a class act and this opinion comes from the way he conducts himself on the field and in the media......but my wife has met him on a few occasions and she says everytime she has met him he seem sincere and down to earth....in fact she met him on the street in Mpls with Mauer and another player one night as they were going from one bar to the other and they stopped and talked took pics with my wife and her friend and were very nice to them...I thought that alone speaks volumns for his charachter as many atheletes would just keep walking and try not to get noticed!!

The tipping of the cap thing though could have been that he was mad with the anthem part or that he is just conservative.....

This is being taken out of context a little bit here. From what I saw the interviewer asked him if he thought it was rude to only play a recording of the Canadian anthem and he said something like yeah I was a little disappointed. It's not like he pulled a bunch of reporters aside and just went off about it. That being said at least the fans didn't boo the Canadian anthem like the Canadian fans do the the US in hockey.

Edwin S. Simon, NBS News Anchor: It is the height of six American football fields, or five Canadian football fields. As if Canadian football really counts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smiley: When have you ever heard anyone say, "Honey, lets stay in and order Canadian food"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edwin S. Simon, NBS News Anchor: Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day.

From the movie Canadian Bacon, RIP John Candy

His complaints are very valid as this is a very big function put on by MLB and they pull out all the stops but when it comes to having the Canadian anthem played they go to a tape recording? WEAK and CHEAP!!!!!

HopkinsFishN- Was this before or after MLB went cheap on the anthem? Either way Morneau is a good guy and very respectible charachter and we are lucky to have him playing for our squad!

MLB dropped the ball on this one but it's not the end of world like some are making it out to be.

Of all people to rip Justin Morneau? You guys are clueless on that my friends!

It's not like he's a wife beater or cheating spouse like Windys Idol Michael Jordon is!

regarding the class thing......my impression of him is that he is a class act and this opinion comes from the way he conducts himself on the field and in the media......but my wife has met him on a few occasions and she says everytime she has met him he seem sincere and down to earth....in fact she met him on the street in Mpls with Mauer and another player one night as they were going from one bar to the other and they stopped and talked took pics with my wife and her friend and were very nice to them...I thought that alone speaks volumns for his charachter as many atheletes would just keep walking and try not to get noticed!!

conservative.....

JOE MAUER GOES TO BARS???????????????????????????????

maybe youre wife is really hot?

The M&M boys were on the town that night but I am not saying they were in between bars my wife was but they ran into them on the streets of downtown Mpls....and I like to think my wife is hot!! afterall I did marry her.....haha