• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How often do you fix your motor?

Creek Kid

Question

It seems like I have to take in my 93 Yammy pro60 every year to get the carbs cleaned. It will start & idle fine but under load will dog out @ about 2500 rpm (like a plug is bad). I changed all 3 plugs - no change. It ran like atop upto that poit. Is it normal for needle valves to get dirty that often? I just had the same thing done 10 boat rides ago and had a new fuel pump installed. How often does eveyone take theirs in? I use stabil and drain the tank. I love the motor when it runs. Any thoughts?

17 answers to this question

run seafoam in the gas. if the carbs are getting dirty alot thats not right. check the fuel filter and lines as those can break apart inside and cause particles to be sucked into the carb

make sure your tank is not holding junk in it, but i am with tyler sounds like it is time for filter and replace the fuel lines. Over time they will strip off pieces of rubber and plug up the carb. Especially if you are rebuilding them that often, it is not the carb but something down stream causing it. If you have a metal tank, could be rust or debris on the inside that is floating. Especially with the "new" types of gas, it could actually pull the [PoorWordUsage] off the walls and allow it to go into the engine. Good luck

I have owned my current motor 5 years been in once to have the pump cleaned and checked thats it. I do little to nothing to mine other than new plugs, fuel filter and lower unit lube once a year. I do run seafoam through it every couple tanks. Stored outdoors year round rarly covered never fog it in the winter just drain the water and fill the tank and add stabil. 1993 70hp Evenrude.

I would urge you to use non-oxygenated gas as well. The gas regulations have changed and the use of ethanol is on the increase in your gas. This may be causing the problems if it is gumming up your carbs. A lot of newspapers and outdoor mags have been cautioning outdoorsmen to be careful.

81 Evinrude 35hp. I run non-oxy gas and Amsoil through it, and I change the plugs out every two years. It's been at least 7-8 yrs since I've had to do anything on it. Of course I've just jinxed myself, so I'm sure the next time out it won't work... grin

Knock on wood but I have never taken either my main or kicker four stroke Yammis in for repairs since 04. I run non-oxy gas, seafoam and have it fully winterized every year. I am on the water about five days a week and I am not very nice to my outboards at all so I feel I am either lucky or Yammi makes good motors.

I third non-oxy gas. I used to use regular then blew my powerhead, and was told to run non-oxy and I have with Amsoil and it's been solid. 1988 25H Merc - now props are another story

Thanks for the replies. That's kind of what I was expecting. I've got a 17gal plastic in-hull tank that I'm thinking about replacing. Bought SeaFoam Deep Creep today and gonna try and shoot it down the fuel lines and maybe get lucky to have it clear out (I doubt it'll solve it though) When you say replace the fuel lines are you talking the hose w/primer bulb only or are you talking the small 1/8"-1/4" lines directly on the carbs?

I have a 25 gal built in tank. I use Amsoil injector and ALWAYS run non-oxy premium (as that's all the non-oxy available locally). There's Stabil in every tankful and I've had the motor in the shop twice since I bought it new in '95. Once was on a recall repair and the other was to replace the armature. Otherwise I do my own PM work on all my motors. The fuel requirements stated in the owners manual are "a mininum octane rating of 87%", I run 92% and firmly believe it does make a difference in the lifetime of the engine. Phred52

I think they are talking about replacing the main lines and the ball up to the motor, I wouldn't squirt deep creep into your lines as you may loosen up a bunch of old crud and really mess your stuff up. I would also consider an inline filter as well the kind you can see in/thru, that way you will know if your sucking crud in from the tank, hope that helps.

Tom.

Get it tuned up, clean/rebuild carbs, repalce ALL fuel lines and use non-oxy every fill. In my experience motors that were not fed non-oxy had way more problems than those that did. I also put a small inline filter just before my fuel pump and replace that every year. I agree with others that the more that motors get used the better they are.

I have an '81 (yes 1981) Glastron with a 75 Johnson, same year. I had tilt/trim issues this year and had to take it in. that was the first time that motor has EVER seen the shop. almost 30 years old. not to bad!! that thing has tons of hours on it too, not so much in late years, but in early years it got used heavily!!! guess we got a good one!!

78 Johnson 15 hp. TONS of hours on this motor. Installed an impeller and fuel pump for grins a couple year ago and plugs every year. Replaced prop after bro left half of it on a rock for me. Never been in shop, never messed with carb, nothing... Awesome motor!

Wish every company made all thier motors like this one!

Just wanted say thanks for the info. And also pass along that the shop I went to said the exact same thing about the gas. He said Stabil didn't leave residue on the carbs but Seafoam did. Everyone on here seems to have good luck w/Seafoam though so take it for what it's worth. Thanks again.

-CK