• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

48-inch minimum

RK

Hiya -

Not much has been made of it, but in case you weren't aware, the Omnibus Game and Fish bill that passed the house and senate last night included the following lines:

29.1(a) The commissioner of natural resources shall adopt or amend rules to establish

29.2 minimum size limits for muskellunge on inland waters consistent with the provisions

29.3 of this section. The commissioner must:

29.4(1) establish a 48-inch statewide minimum size restriction for muskellunge and

29.5 muskellunge-northern pike hybrids in inland waters, except for the lakes listed in clause

29.6(2) that are managed specifically for muskellunge-northern pike hybrids in Carver, Dakota,

29.7 Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, and Washington Counties; and

29.8(2) establish a 40-inch minimum size restriction for muskellunge-northern pike

29.9 hybrids in the following lakes in Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, and

29.10 Washington Counties.

In other words, state-wide 48-inch minimum size for muskies. Up to the commissioner to decide, but I suspect this will take effect in 2010.

I know a lot of diehard muskie guys who thought they'd never see it in their lifetimes... We've come a long ways in 20 years.

Drop a note to Sen. Chaudhary and thank him.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Hiya -

Jeffreyd - no lights out period in MN, so the Gov can sign it the minute it passes if he wants. Don't know if this one has been signed yet or not. Kind of suspect the Gov's hands are too busy tossing grenades at the legislature to pick up a pen at the moment.

2 lines did NOT pass. Fortunately, IMHO.

While i understand both sides of the two line issue, the one that makes me chuckle is when folks think they will overfish the lakes. If limits are set for possession, would one not just fill faster? We have a two pole stamp in AZ, but honestly as mentioned below, who can manage two lines unless from shore and sitting in the easy chair. Thanks for the info.

While i understand both sides of the two line issue, the one that makes me chuckle is when folks think they will overfish the lakes. If limits are set for possession, would one not just fill faster?

That's the problem.....you hav folks out there that would catch their limit of, say crappies, take em home and head right back out and catch another limit. Have seen it done before, and if they could do it that much faster.........

Jeff,

The limits are set for a 1 line regulation. It's set at a level high enough where the average outing will attain it. Now if people can more easily get to their limit then yes there will be a detrimental impact to the fishery as fish levels will decrease faster then at the current rate.

The Senate is willing to change the number of lines if the House will concede to new (lower) possession limits. The House wouldn't so it got killed (again).

Personally I'm against it for muskies (as well as for other species for different reasons) because I think that dragging suckers will end up in higher hooking mortality. There's enough people out there that don't know the right way to use quick-strike rigs and/or still use single hook rigs where I think it will harm the fishery.

This is the best thing to happen to Muskies in many years congrats and thanks to all those who supported it and asked for it, I hope the fish treat you right this season.

Sen Chaudhary needs some huge Kudos for putting the resource first, seeing through the B-S and not compromising our fishery with issues that will do nothing to help the fish.

Thank You Senator.

the 48 min will really help the twin cities muskies lakes,,especially the MPL's city lakes where there is alot of harvest by imigrants

good riddens to two lines proposal we DONT need that in a muskie fisherie that the dnr manages and has a "trophy fisherie"

if people feel that two lines wont hurt because we have bag limits,well then why not let people drag nets behind the boat afterall you can still only keep your limit