• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog limits

jbell1981

I was just informed by the police dept in Ananndale that there is a 2 dog limit if you are with-in the city limits. 3 or more is considered a kenel and not allowed with-in the city limits. My family and I are dog lovers and have 3 well cared for dogs (choco, yellow and black labs). The officer told us we have 2 weeks to "correct the issue". In short we have until March 23 to give up one of our animals. Our chocolate lab, Bailey, is 7 years old. We rescued her about 3 years ago after she was hit by a car and the owners at that time did not want to deal with any future problems. She has a few minor physical problems and some small obiedance issues, but nothing serious. It sure doesn't keep her out of the water or field. Brady is our 7 year old yellow lab. I nick-named him gigantor because he is huge. We rescued him from a family that "no longer had time for him" about a year and a half a go. He is just a big baby that loves the field and the garbage can. And then there is Drake, our black lab. He came to us unexpectedly last september as a 6 week old pup. He is only about 7 months but has been a great dog to this point despite some usual and expected potty training and chewing issues.

What the heck to I do? Do I keep paying the fines (which can be up to 700/day) until an officer lets himself into my house and removes one (which I was shocked to see was legal per city ordinance)? Do I find Drake a new home since he is the newest member? Do I find Bailey a new home because of some minor health issues. Or Brady, since he would probably be the easiest to place due to his extensive field training.

I know the decision is ours and do not expect advice on this here, but I just needed to vent a little.

Jbell, I'm not sure about Annandale but my ex-brother in-law who lives in Mound had to deal with the same law. He was able to collect signatures from his neighbors stating that they were okay with him having more then the allowed number (2) of dogs and the city okay'd him having what ended up being 4 dogs at his house. I would talk to someone on at the city office to see if anything could be done. Good Luck.

That sounds like a good starting point. If your neighbors dont care and you haven't had any noise related issues, i would think they would make an exception. Afterall government is for the people, by the people, so if the people dont have any issues, neither should the government.

Seems pretty bad that they can come in and remove your pet...You can always apply for a kennel license with 3 dogs?

Cheaper than the fines.

That is part of the problem. I have lived at this place since last summer and for whatever reason unknown to us the neighbors each side have it in for us. I know that one of them, or both of them together, are the ones who reported us. Without the neighbors on each side of me, I don't think that would be a possibility.

The ordinance is pretty clear that a kenel licence will not be granted for anyone living with-in the city limits.

Try talking to a local lawyer and see if they have heard of others coming across the same issue and how it panned out.. Is it one dog per household or owner. I dont know, I couldnt give up either of my dogs. Good Luck

I don't know much about this and not sure if this is even possible, but can you check into maybe getting a temporary variance for a kennel license. If possible, it could buy you some to time, maybe to even move outside the city limits?

"hooks"

Going to the top is a good idea. The Mayor or Council Member. Play on the fact that 2 of them are rescues and deserve the utmost chance to remain with you as opposed to being bounced again to another family.

Do not get agitated and argumentative. Ask open ended questions like what can 'we' (you and them) creativley do to solve this problem. Can a variance be granted?... a kennel license?... show them you are willing to work with them, but giving up a family member is not an option. Make sure your license is current, your vaccs are current and that their are no complaints on your pets. Be very polite but persistant. Get one to start working with you. Do not talk to the police, they will be inflexible as to the ordinance, that is their job. You need to get someone on top in your ring and go from there.

Good Luck!

Ken

Have your dogs caused problems? I only ask because you said your neighbors "have it in" for you. If so, you are probably SOL.

My folks (who enjoy well-behaved dogs) got fed up with the neighbors dog constantly rooting in their gardens, [PoorWordUsage] in their lawn with no clean-up, etc. They were nice about it at first, i.e. asked them to keep their dog in their own yard, keep it leashed, etc. Eventually, the police got involved and these people had to give their dog up. They think my parents are out to get them, when in reality, all this could have been avoided if they would have kept their dog under control.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but try to think if your dogs have caused your neighbors any problems. If so, an apology and some efforts to correct any problems may go a long ways.

Another gov't solution to problems that may or may not exist! City governments are amazing in what they can get away with, all in the name of public nuisance. Our town has different fees for a dog license based on whether the dog is neutered or not. I have yet to figure out what difference it makes to the city. Do they have to do more work to issue the tag if the dog is not neutered? I doubt it.

Sorry to year about your major dilemma. I think I'd go the lawyer route. At least get an consultation to discuss your odds.

Have your dogs caused problems? I only ask because you said your neighbors "have it in" for you. If so, you are probably SOL.

I don't know what the deal is with the neighbors. They were friendly and talked almost daily to me when we were finishing the basement, but after we moved in thier attitude totaly changed. One reason may be that I didn't call the cops on a neighborhood teen who crossed though my yard. The neighbors don't seem to like him, but I haven't had any problems with him, so I wasn't going to get my undies in a bunch because he crossed though my yard. Another reason might be that the day we moved in one of our dogs crapped on the property line (it was unclear who's yard it was on), but it didn't even hit the ground yet and he came out yelling at my wife who was inrout with the [PoorWordUsage] scooper.

We have had 2 incidents of Bailey crossing though one of thier yards chasing another dog out of our yard. Both times he saw and filed a police report, which we recieved warnings for. It was just crossing though thier yard (which I know is against city ordinance and apoligized for the first time), thier was no crapping or rooting up of gardens or anything, just foot prints in the snow.

your neighbor sounds lke a real pain in the A$$. i would attend a city council meeting. Take pictures of the dogs. the living quarters, their environment, slip a few with the family by them in. Also bring the pets vet records. Show them that the dogs have the utmost in care and that you are completely responsible in caring and cleaning up after them. Bring up the two reports of the dog running through the neighbors yard and that it could happen with just owning one dog.

and as someone said above be nice about it as much as possible. If not, look at moving! lots of cheap housing in that area if you can get yours sold!

A fence or underground fence that you can show keeps your dogs off the neighbors property might be helpful as well when you go to the city council. I would also bring along receipts of bark collars or another way to prove they are not loud and bothering the neighbors.

Due the best you can, and try to show them you are working on a solution, not digging in your heels and fighing them.

One problem you might face in trying to convince the city to allow a variance in this case is the fact that they may resist because making an exception for you might open up the doors for many more to ask for the same "favor". The creates a headache for the council and in my experience, for this reason along there is huge resistance to granting a variance. Having unfriendly neighbors only makes it harder for them to grant one.

City councils deal with emotional residents all the time in the form of NIMBY's...I don't think an emotional approach, by itself, will be successful. I'd combine that with the legal approach of bringing on a lawyer if you're able to afford one.

I don't mean to sound too pessimistic, but I think an objective approach needs to be included in the overall plan.

A fence or underground fence that you can show keeps your dogs off the neighbors property might be helpful as well when you go to the city council. I would also bring along receipts of bark collars or another way to prove they are not loud and bothering the neighbors.

Due the best you can, and try to show them you are working on a solution, not digging in your heels and fighing them.

A fence was started last fall but ran out of time to finish it before the ground froze over. Its about 75% done and will be finished and soon as the ground is soft enough. The funny thing is I purposely got the one side done and said the other side could wait because that neighbor seemed nicer if a dog got loose. That turned out to be dead wrong.

Originally Posted By: Ralph Wiggum

I don't know what the deal is with the neighbors. They were friendly and talked almost daily to me when we were finishing the basement, but after we moved in thier attitude totaly changed. One reason may be that I didn't call the cops on a neighborhood teen who crossed though my yard. The neighbors don't seem to like him, but I haven't had any problems with him, so I wasn't going to get my undies in a bunch because he crossed though my yard. Another reason might be that the day we moved in one of our dogs crapped on the property line (it was unclear who's yard it was on), but it didn't even hit the ground yet and he came out yelling at my wife who was inrout with the [PoorWordUsage] scooper.

We have had 2 incidents of Bailey crossing though one of thier yards chasing another dog out of our yard. Both times he saw and filed a police report, which we recieved warnings for. It was just crossing though thier yard (which I know is against city ordinance and apoligized for the first time), thier was no crapping or rooting up of gardens or anything, just foot prints in the snow.

I'm just curious, was it one of those incidents above that prompted the warning from the officer or was it a different incident?

In Belle Plaine we have the same ordinance. In my opinion someones dogs would really have to be a PITA for me to ever call the cops on them. I have one neighbor that has 2 boxers and a HUGE rottweiler. I am not a big fan of rottweilers but this dog has never done anything to bother me so why would I bother it?

Sounds to me like your neighbors have a case of nosy-itis and don't have enough to do. I would certainly try all of the suggestions listed here but like you I think that if your neighbors have it in for you, there might not be much you can do.

I would definitely talk to all of your council members one-on-one. You may find there are 1 or 2 of them sympathetic enough to your cause that they may even try to repeal the ordinance for you. It's worth a shot anyway. I know if I were a council member I would give it a try. I personally believe that 3 dogs is not that many if they are being properly cared for and not causing noise complaints or other issues. I think it should be a case-by-case basis, not a hard fast rule.

Sorry about your predicament. I hope everything works out for you and your dogs!

Wow, tough deal. Like others have said be persistent and explain the situation, show them you are putting up a fence, have all your shots up to date ect.

I had a similar situation although not with dogs it was with the location of a fence. Basically the city was telling my neighbor and I that there was a drainage easement on our property line and we couldn't have our fences within 10 feet which would have left a 20 foot gap. I got a lawyer, paid him 300 bucks and he handled it for me.

Sounds to me like your neighbor is just Anti-Animal.

I know the cost would be a lot higher to move, but I wouldn't want to live next to such a dush bag...

I'd concur with a free referral to a law office to see what they say. Maybe they can depose your neighbor laugh

I'm just curious, was it one of those incidents above that prompted the warning from the officer or was it a different incident?

Yes it was the first incident that we got a warning for a dog at large and for having more than 2 dogs. The second incident happened a couple weeks ago, but the officer showed up Monday and gave another warning and indicated we had 2 weeks to meet the ordinance.