• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone else tired of "todays country" music?

Skeeter21i

For those of us that are country music fans how many are tired of the watered down pop "country" currently getting played on FM radio? It all sounds the same! Not saying these bands aren't talented or anything, just saying they aren't exactly what country used to be or should be. It gets pretty old hearing Rascal Flatts every 10 minutes (and many of the other ones as well) Luckily there is XM, Pandora and other streaming internet. If you are tired of the stuff on the radio check out Texas/Red Dirt music. Texas/Red Dirt music is rapidly expanding out of the borders of TX and OK as people are discovering it through XM and internet outlets and finding out there still is good, non-corporate music available out there.

Bands to check out, all have websites and myspace pages:

Jason Boland and The Stragglers (heading north 3/14)

Randy Rogers Band (up for ACM band of the year and just on Letterman show)

Roger Creager (hunts and fishes)

Stoney Larue

Aaron Watson

Reckless Kelly

Micky and the Motorcars

Wade Bowen

Back Porch Mary

Cross Canadian Ragweed

Kevin Fowler (big into hunting and fishing)

Cory Morrow

There are way too many to list. These bands have CD's on iTunes, sell out arenas down south but are shunned by mainstream radio. Check'em out if you are looking for fresh music. Some of its country, some rock, some in between...blends alot of styles of music together and appeals to many.

I am also a fan of some of the "outlaw" or Xcountry music. It is nice to hear one or two of them get on mainstream radio once in a while. They do get some play on k102 late Sat. nights, but who is around to listen.

But they dont make a lot of bank, and money runs the world. Promoters pay big money to get stations to play what they do.

Sometimes being on the outside is the best place to be.

It's become kind of a joke that the country music stations in the twin cities don't play country! XM and Pandora, etc., are where it's at. I agree with the recommendation on checking out the Texas/Red Dirt music! Alot of those artists have some really cool stuff! Ever since I started listening to it a few years ago, I am sooo hooked. Forget that pop country [PoorWordUsage].

I am personally not tired of "today's" country music. Although I wasn't really around for "yesterdays" and this is what I have grown up listening to. Not that I don't like some of the old stuff. Some of the ladies of country right now aren't too "country" and Rascal Flats should have their own radio station that no one has to listen to, but the list that zamboni mentioned makes some pretty good music.

Can't go wrong with radiofreetexas for sure. Its unreal how many people up north here listen to that. I haven't listened to FM radio in five years and don't miss it at all. Country from what it was is so diluted. Its all about the dollar and not about the music. Take the guy from Hootie and the Blowfish that is now "country", if they don't fit anywhere else then they label them country and play them every five minutes its a joke. There is so much good music out there that radio won't recognize due to politics and money but the bands care and are touring hard and selling their music by bringing it to the people in person and through the internet. Randy Rogers Band is a perfect example. Very talented band, write and perform their own music and get no radio or video play BUT they were on David Letterman in January, they are on Leno next monday, up for ACM band of the year and recently won Playboys band of the year. Done all without radio. Jason Boland and the Stragglers are in River Falls this saturday. They will put on an excellent, real country show to people coming from four and five hours away to see them. Just because some chick looks good on a video doesn't mean shes country.

i dont even listen to it anymore i miss

johnny cash

moe bandy and joe stamply

tom t hall

bellamy brothers

johnny lee

mel tillis

Eddie Rabbitt,

Oak Ridge Boys,

Kenny Rogers,

T.G. Sheppard,

Waylon & Willie,

Dolly Parton,

Gary Stewart,

Ronnie Milsap,

Conway Twitty,

Lacy J. Dalton,

Tanya Tucker,

Tammy Wynette,

Billy "Crash" Craddock,

John Wesley Ryles,

george jones

don williams

conway twitty

i have forgotton at least the same amount of singers listed here

i dont even listen to it anymore i miss

johnny cash

moe bandy and joe stamply

tom t hall

bellamy brothers

johnny lee

mel tillis

Eddie Rabbitt,

Oak Ridge Boys,

Kenny Rogers,

T.G. Sheppard,

Waylon & Willie,

Dolly Parton,

Gary Stewart,

Ronnie Milsap,

Conway Twitty,

Lacy J. Dalton,

Tanya Tucker,

Tammy Wynette,

Billy "Crash" Craddock,

John Wesley Ryles,

george jones

don williams

conway twitty

i have forgotton at least the same amount of singers listed here

Then I suppose you're not able to get Bob 106.1 that far south, huh?

You could switch to satellite radio as well, the Roadhouse, Sirius 62.

100.1 FM out of Olivia is fantastic. It covers everything on BK19's list and then some. I'll flip that channel on if I'm going to listen to country. 102.1 out of MSP is horrible....they claim it's a country channel but that ain't country. The kids these days don't know any better and have no idea what REAL country music is. Taylor Swift or Rascal Flatts once an hour every hour? sick

[quote= Take the guy from Hootie and the Blowfish that is now "country", if they don't fit anywhere else then they label them country and play them every five minutes its a joke.

Amen, brother.

If you fail at pop music, cut a quickly and cheaply made country album and throw it out there to make a buck fast. Or better yet, throw one country-ish song on an album in a hope to sell to another market.

DD

maybe its because ive grown up in this generation but i love todays mainstream country! trace adkins, toby keith, keith urban. go ahead hate me forever but i really dont see what is special about johnny cash(walk the line, or ring of fire) i just dont see what makes it so great.( i know people are gunna blast me for this)...i will give some of the listed a shot tho...shes country-jason aldean is the GREATEST SONG though!!

maybe its because ive grown up in this generation but i love todays mainstream country! trace adkins, toby keith, keith urban. go ahead hate me forever but i really dont see what is special about johnny cash(walk the line, or ring of fire) i just dont see what makes it so great.( i know people are gunna blast me for this)...i will give some of the listed a shot tho...shes country-jason aldean is the GREATEST SONG though!!

I'm alittle older than you Burnham but I do like the today's Hot Country. Muc33 has a great new radio station in the Worthington area and it is sounding great. Go ahead and shoot me but everybody is entitled to appreciate the type of music that they do...

I'm liking BK19's list. It's all about the memories. I grew up listening to that era of Country.

George Jones - Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes?

With that said, I'm not gonna knock the new popular stuff too much. Some's good - some aint.

Problem is us older gen guys (41 here) aren't buying enough of any music to make it pay in the big market.

I'm liking BK19's list. It's all about the memories. I grew up listening to that era of Country.

George Jones - Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes?

With that said, I'm not gonna knock the new popular stuff too much. Some's good - some aint.

Problem is us older gen guys (41 here) aren't buying enough of any music to make it pay in the big market.

You got that right with the market share.

I grew up listening to my parents records with Charlie Pride and that era. I liked it then, but not sure I would like it now. I dont have a big problem with K102, I listen and If i dont like a song, it flips to talk radio. Otherwise i buy a few CD's to slip in to get my fix in. Chesney, TKeith, Urban, Swift, Sugarland etc.

country has evolved just like rock has. You can find a few good ROCK bands making music today and you can also find a few good country bands making music today. the industry is trying to sell records to that 15-24 age group and that is who they cater to. personaly I can not take keith urban but I was also not a big fan of Garth Brooks either too pop. Heck I remember hearing how Alabama was going to ruin country music. wonder what fans of Hank Sr and Jimmy Rogers would say about country i the 60's 70's and 80's.