• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many broadheads do you carry while hunting? Your quiver, do you leave it on?

BLACKJACK

Just curious, was putting together a broadhead last night, was wondering how many broadheads people carry to their deer stand? I have three arrows with broadheads and one arrow with a judo point on it in my quiver.

How about your quiver, do you leave it on your bow or take it off when you get to the stand? I personally leave mine on all the time, in the case, when I'm practicing, and when I'm on stand. I've heard of people taking them off and hanging their quivers but since I've practiced with the quiver on I leave it on. Just curious to see what works for people.

I leave mine on.. but then again, I dont have one that comes off.. I think that if you have one that comes off.. you are best if you do detach it. more for noice reasons than anything. I think the detachable quivers have a larger tendancy to rattle and make noise on the shot.. I have one of those Hoyt 2 piece quives on my UltraTec, I hardly notice its there.

I carry 3 arrows with broadheads.. no extra arrows or judo points.. I shoot ACC arrows.. I just cant see bending one of them arrows on a tree rat or other creature.

i carry three broad heads and take my quiver off. ( i practice this way) party cause i shoot bright vanes and don't want that clump of color moving as i bring the bow up and also have had it were the vanes /feathers brush against some thing and make a noise.it mite be a little more critical for me since i hunt from the ground . del

I carry 3 Muzzy's on Carbon Express shafts. Used to carry a field tip for grouse and such, but after 15 years and never getting one, I removed it from my quiver. I carry my quiver in my backpack and leave it there. I want to invest in one of those "cat-quivers". They are nice.

Wow, I carry a minimum of 5 if not 6 arrows at all times with broadheads. I have a detachable quiver that I take off and I have a connecter for it screwed into the tree. Biggest reason for that is the noise, but you can also see a litte better and it's easier to move.

Ole

Five, I always worry that for some freak reason I would need a lot of extras. If I had to "finish" a deer off I'd like some extras in case I whiffed or missed. That said, I've never used more than one arrow on a deer though. Weird things happen in the woods and I'd rather have plenty of arrows. I used to take my quiver off but I now have a new one that is quiet and I leave it on.

I always shoot with my quiver off & always hang it or lay it in the stand, with an additional arrow removed & at the ready. If I'm in a spot where I expect to see coon, I'll often have a beater arrow out & ready to roll too. I start the seaon with 5 with broadheads, usually a couple will be old broadheads that have hit the ground that I'd only use as a follow up shot to save a good arrow, or to shoot varmits. At this point after sticking a couple deer I've got four in my quiver.

I once had a deer move on the shot & missed completely. I grunted the deer back in & drilled it with my second arrow. If I only carried two what would I have done had I spined it or a nice buck then walked up?

I wrecked two arrows one time on a grouse. I shot low the first time & thought I'd missed, turned out I'd skinned him a bit (took off a couple feathers), so wrecked another trying to get him.

He must have been okay though, as I went back with the shotgun & jumped him a couple times without getting close enough for a shot.

I haven't bow hunted for about 2 years but I always brought 3 arrows with broadheads and 2 with field tips. I always shot one of the field tips when I got settled. 1. I wanted to make sure I did not losen or damage anything in traveling to the stand and 2. it was a good practice shot. The second arrow was for critters, also good practice.
I took my quiver off while both hunting and practicing. Comfort, Confidence and Consistency.
Dang, reading this makes me want to get back into it. I only stopped when I moved to Des Moines and didn't have time to get home and do my scouting. I still love the old smoke pole and shotgun though.

Abens1078

I carry four arrows with broadheads. My quiver does not come off. I don't carry a varmit arrow because I don't want to mess around shooting at junk when Mr. Big could be standing in the brush wondering what the heck that blob in the tree is doing......

I sometimes will drop an arrow when I'm in my stand, I bump it off the knock somehow or something dumb like that.

I usually have 2 intensive harvest permits, so I could take 3 deer in one sitting. I haven't done that, but my dad has a few times and it very well can happen.

I guess I just like to have to many arrows than not enough, I'm the same way with ammo for my shot gun.

I plan on sitting in the stand tonight, hopefully the deer are moving.

Good luck everyone

Ole

I carry 4 arrows, one with a judo point or a broadhead that has hit too many hard objects. I leave my quiver on, I can't remove it. It attaches underneith the limb bolts on my recurve. I practice with a quiver full of arrows.

Scotty

i got 6 arrows. three with "deer" broad heads. one with an old broad head for things like skunks, fox, coyote..... also have one judo for grouse, and one practice for marking blood trails.
practice with my quiver off and hunt with it hanging in the tree.

------------------
this is just my 2 cents
Pooh

Usually three arrows and I detach my quiver and put it on a branch in the tree. However if I'm planning on being out all day I'll take more like 5 arrows in my quiver. Should be a chilly one this next weekend in the tree!

i take 6 arrows, 5 judo, 1 broadhead- cuz i never see any #%*@ deer! no, i usually have 5 broadhead, and a junk arrow.
about a week and a half ago, my buddy miller crushed a doe, and had another one come up to it to see what was wrong. bad mistake. he ended up with a double. so, you never know.
better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

------------------
spawn til you die,
perch.

Before I read the username I knew who was writing that message Mr. Smart Aleque Paceman. Okay, so I'm perhaps not the most selective person in the world when it comes to antlerless deer. My motto is, when it doubt about the size of the deer, shoot, you can't eat a picture.