• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Abu 6500C3

smeese

Ironically, I just took mine off my rod a few minutes ago. I had one blow out the first time I used it last year throwing a DCG. I got a replacement from Abu, but I am going to return it to the store and invest in a Shimano Calcutta 401TE. I know this is a significant increase in $, but I think over the long haul it will be worth the money. If you want to take one step up DicksSportingGoods dot com had the Abu record series on sale for $129 plus the $20 rebate. For the money, you cannot beat that deal. I also think that will last a bit longer than the C3.

They are a fine reel for small baits or jerkbaits but Dbl10's are a different story. They have blown out much better reels than the 6500c3. Alot will depend on just how much you use it as well. If you're only muskie fishing once in a while they can be very durable for that.

I have some that get used a great deal, however they only throw granks and topwaters in the small to medium sizes. The Record can be a great reel for the Money and it really isn't that much more money than a C3. Get the power handle if you buy a Record.

"Ace"

Ace guide service.

I guess I just liked the one I seen because they had a Camo version......Would the Record series be better then the 7000's Tha Calcutta's look nice but since I have not yet landed a Toothy Ski yet I find it hard to justify the price. Once I hit that 50 incher I am sure I will get two of them wink

The 6500C3 will be a good reel for you if you choose to go that route. It will work for everything you own and should last a long time if it is taken care of. I have 4 of them, the oldest is about 10 years old probably. I have never blew up a reel before. I guess I must not be doing something right since I hear about all of these reels that blow up all the time. It has never happened to me.... yet. I started using 7000's about 5 years ago and really like them for just about everything so don't use the 6500's much anymore but they are still a good reel. The only thing you won't be able to do with it is burn a DCG. If you try to burn it you will probably break something in the reel.

Quote:
I find it hard to justify the price.

Hey Smeese.

pretty much everybody agrees it seems. not for a lot of use with ##10's. even a single #9 for me was too much work. but that may be because i'm spoiled now with TE's. anything with drag on it is tireing after a couple hours. larger cranks, bucks, and other things are just to hard on equipment and the body. it can be darn right unenjoyable at times. the C3 is a good overall reel for 90% of lures made before ten years ago, but these days it's good for only about half out there.

my suggestion would be this... justify spending the money on a decent set-up based on the overall enjoyment vs. headache for an inferior set-up. justify the cost on the basis of knowing you can use anything to reach your goal and never be limited in your tactics. justify the price so when you get your first 50'' you'll only need to buy one more grin ....i'd get the 400 series TE. you won't regret it.

I can't do anything but agree about the 400TE's. I've got several abu's of that size and they just don't last. I keep repairing them and using them for people who are new with bait casters or backups for myself, but I won't use them as a primary.

Problem I see is that anything that series of reel works good for, a curado 300 does just as well and is that much more comfortable to hang onto for a long day. And they've proven to be quite a bit more durable. More and more all my reels that I rely on say shimano on them.

Just buy one to start. They are cheap enough. Spend the extra $ you saved on a power handle and more baits. I've got a 6500 c3 that's 2 years old and a 5600 ssc3 that's 4 years old. I maintain them and they are showing no signs of wear. I also fish 300+ hours per musky season. I however do not do much twitching/ripping which I would guess is harder on reels.

I have used Abus in the past since at that time its all I could get local for a muskie reel and didn't know any better. Now I run Shimanos and Okumas. Induron 400 for the Okuma, so far been a good reel ( only 1 season on it, its my big rubber reel) Rest of my arsenals Corsair, Carvalus and a Curado. Curados my DCG reel. For me the low gear reels take more cranking and tires my wrist, with the Curado or Corsair they aren't a problem tossing Cowgirls all day. I'm getting a new cowgirl rod this spring might spurge and put a 400 TE on it.

All that said Abu may have a decent reel out now with the Toro, looks and feels nice but want to cast one for a day before spending $250 on one.

I just ended up ordering a Abu Revo Toro 61-HS after seeing that....thanks alot for mentioning them Esox_Magnum. This was the first I have heard of them, and they seem solid. I got it for 215.00 shipped. I will let you guys know how it holds up this fall when i start ripping the bigger baits. I have a feeling I am in trouble with the wife if I do not get to this package first. Calcutta is next on my list. I have a bunch of 6500/6600 that I use for Catting now so it is time for something a little different anyways. Thanks for all input!

Quote:
I just ended up ordering a Abu Revo Toro 61-HS after seeing that... will let you guys know how it holds up this fall when i start ripping the bigger baits. I have a feeling I am in trouble with the wife if I do not get to this package first

awsome, we got ourselves a bonafide guinee pig grin glad you made up your mind. the toro is supposed to be a great reel but just like cars the first couple years there may be some bugs. i hope not though, for your sake, and we need a new reel to bring down the prices of the giants. good luck camping out at the end of the drive... laugh

Quote:
I figured if I saved some money on the reel some Hecklers would come sooner

i knew there was a special ulterior motive. smile

just so ya know,i've been known to send lures to all sorts of strange and unusual places because of the little woman. so i'm well versed in it. don't worry. wink

good luck with the new reel.

I just ended up ordering a Abu Revo Toro 61-HS after seeing that....thanks alot for mentioning them Esox_Magnum. This was the first I have heard of them, and they seem solid. I got it for 215.00 shipped. I will let you guys know how it holds up this fall when i start ripping the bigger baits.

I'm thinking you should go out and cut the worlds largest spearing hole in the ice and give it a try! Heck if you name the place, time and date you could charge an admission fee and recoupe some cash for the Heckler Lures. You could call it the "Toro Demo Event". laugh

LOL The reel came and it is sick! Very low profile for those that have not seen them, and wider then heck.

b1gf1sh1 Thanks for the update....I can not wait to see what I have coming. Pics will be posted of these for sure.

Jredig- I am so tempted, you can distract the DNR while I leave. LOL