• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hand Gun to buy ?? **bought one !!! *pics*

reelemin

Didn't know where to post this, thought this might be the best spot.

Looking to buy a hand gun ( got the permit ) mainly for self defense. I'm very new to guns but know the basics. As of now I'm looking at a Taurus or S&W 39 spl. 2" to 4" barrel.( I want a revolver )

My question is - is there a brand that I should stay away from ?

do you mean 38 spl tami? I think taurus and S&W are great choices. are you considering this for conceal and carry purposes or more for in the house protection? the longer the barrel the better your sight line and sight picture is gonna be. Take a look and try out different ones before you decide for sure. Bills gunshop and range offers rentals, might be worth the time and a little bit of money (not a lot compared to a gun purchase) to go and "test drive" a S&W or a taurus. They have a HSOforum, I know one of their places is in circle pines.......not sure of the other one, it used to be in Richfield.

Taurus, Smith, and Ruger are all very good choices in the revolver market.

If I had to choose a "carry revolver" I would be looking at an sp101 (ruger), or a "Lady Smith" (S&W), I can get over the name, both in .357. They both will shoot .38's as well as the mags. Both are exposed hammer guns, but if you have a smith bob them that issue would go away.

The best thing to do is do a lot of window shopping. Hold and handle a lot of guns, check for fit and finish, find one you like the best. You will know when that happens. Don't let someone talk you into a gun you dont realy want. What works for me, a gun shop guy, or someone else, may not work for you. Grip size, ballance, weight, your past gun experience, it all makes a differance.

A word of caution though.... A handgun is a lot like a tatoo. Once you get one you will want another, but a bad choice will leave a bad taste in your mouth. Unlike a bad tat, you can sell off or trade a bad gun choice, but who would want to do that.

To directly answere your ???? I tend to over look Rossi, some like them, I have heard some bad things in the past. If I remember corectly they are Berretta's revolver market.

thanks all smile

to answer some of the questions ---

a revolver, because they are more reliable, less things to brake and go wrong, less parts to break, easier to clean.

small, for conceal and carry.

.38 spl, it can shoot 2 types of common ammo

Taurus, S&W, Ruger, names I know. But didn't know if what is better or what to stay away from.

I have been window shopping alot. For both used and new. Both online and at stores.

And now just asking all you hands on people for any info that I may be missing.

Any gun shops that you have had good experiences with, I'd be willing to check out. I want to purchase soon but also want to make a smart choice.

Tami if you haven't already, go to Bill's Gun Shop and Range in Robbinsdale. They have a large selection of handguns. You can rent guns to shoot at their indoor ranges so you get more of an idea how the weapon handles. They also have training classes available.

The Frontiersman off 394 and Wayzata BLVD is another recommended shop.

I wonder about 2" barrel though. Can you accurately hit anything farther than a few feet away with one of those?

The last thing you need is to get into a situation and not feel confident about your ability to follow through, not to mention the potential consequences of not being able to deliver.

Bob

Bob,

The thing a lot of people forget or overlook is the fact that most instances you will "need" a ccw occur at less than 20'. At that distance a 2" barrell will still deliver the goods as well as the performance down range. It is point and shoot distance.

.38sp +p+ rounds are designed to be shot from 2" or shorter snubbie barrels. I cant say they are a pleasure to shoot eek but that is what they are made for. Most of the "experts" in the field of personal defence will sugest a standard load lead wadcutter out of a snubbie, but that is a hole nother subject. Although I can tell you, that when you end up "looking down the barrel" of a .38 and you see four of them hollow points looking back at you.... eeksickeek

And just because I am noasy.... What are you looking at leaning twards? I always like to find out what other people have/are carrying with them. Kind of a "show me yours and I will show you mine" thing.

Personally, if I were thinking in terms of home defense, I would get an M4 Commando...oh wait, that is what I have..but this is another topic.

Tami, get what you want. I don't think you will be disappointed whatever you choose. They are all good and they will all do the job intended.

Don't rule out a Glock 27 though. Dependable, easier to clean than anything out there, and they will survive anything, plus be deadly out to "long" range. Oh yeah, they are concealable, much like your small frame revolver.

Bottom line, don't buy anything unless you are willing to practice. Not just shooting, but practicing moving through your house, as if something were "amiss". "So shall you train, so shall you fight" or something like that. Firearms become nice paper weights if you don't put the time in.

Thanks everyone - all very good info - I'll try to answer all the questions ------

- Yes, Bills is next on my list to check out, maybe today.

- I have a shotgun also for defense and other issues.

- I don't have a permit yet to carry, just to buy.

- Can I use it if the situation warrents - absolutly !

- In my younger days, I was a licensed P.I. and worked alot of hotel security - never carried a gun but did some training.

- I was also manager of security for Montgomery Wards, and did my share of sneaking around and grabing the bad guys smile

Any other "inside info" is always welcomed - I'm learning alot. smile

**** bought one ***** grin

I went to Bills gunshop - after looking alot at stores and online and I think I got a darn good deal.

what I got =

- used - less than 150 rounds thru it -

S&W .357 model 60

2" barrel

S&W wood grips and the orginal rubber grips

a carring case

2 speed loaders w/belt pouch

a leather molded holster

all for $350.00

I'm thinking this was a pretty good purchase - grin

Thanks everyone for all the info and comments, I've learned alot

yeah ill agree with the rest of the guys. that is a great deal considering the gun is around 550 to 600 new not including both grips or the speed loaders. and at only 150 rounds the gun you bought is barely broke in yet! congrats on the purchase