• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Speedo on Polaris quit working

sticknstring

Has anyone fixed theirs before? Mine just went out this weekend on a '98 XC 600. I read up a little on it and it sounds like it's the result from bad bearings and/or broken speedo key? It looks like the parts are cheap but could be labor intensive. Is this a project I can tackle myself?

Most times it is the key that breaks. Best case scenario, its from a bad cable....worst case (common cause) it is the drive shaft bearings that are bad causing the key to break. As far as doing bearings yourself, it depends on your mechanical abilities and what you have for tools and shop facilities. Its nothing you want to do in an unheated garage for sure.

Most likley bearings. 98 xc thats 10 years old dosent seem like it but it is. I would NOT drive it until someone fixes it if it is bearings and u keep driving your problems get worse. 100 dollars maby or 100's of dollars you won't know till its fixed.

my brother had the same problem, his speedo wasnt werkin and here we are tearing it apart and found out that he also had a tooth missing and a bad bearing on the drive shaft. I would prolly fix it before to long. pretty easy task if thats whats wrong take off the secondary and you will see on the bottom of the tube take those three bolts out and go from there. there should be a little dingy stinky out and if there isnt thats your problem. getting bearings done is a bit pricy might as well buy a used drive shaft of hey bay and start fresh. I could prolly help you out on getting a part if you need one.

zimmerman_ dan _ c at yahoo.com

[YouNeedAuthorization] at yahoo.com

Once your speedo stops working its time to change your drive barrings! If not fixed you will add 100s more latter when its a must. You will wreck your tunnel,jack shaft,idler wheels,Hifaks,Hifakes clips on track,So change booth drive barrings and speedo now its a lot cheaper.

Dang... here I thought I'd have an easy fix. It's a clean sled with only about 2,800 miles on it. I went out for a quick half hour ride and noticed it was broke right away but finished the ride out - hopefully I didn't cause any more damage. It's my 2nd year owning a sled and I've never worked on one before. No heated garage either. Anyone want to stop over and fix it for a tank of sled gas and case of beer??? grin

Dan z - I'll let you know on parts as I'm sure I'll be needing some.

I think it may be jumping the gun on bearing replacement and definitely no need to replace the entire drive shaft. You would of heard/felt a failed drive bearing. You should just check the speedo sensor and see if you see anything out of the norm. Broken cable, loose cable, broken teeth, etc. If you do pull the speedo sensor off, then check the drive bearing which will be directly behind the speedo sensor. You can check the bearings by prying the dust cover off carefully with a small eyeglasses screwdriver. If you don't see any damage, shoot some grease in to freshen up and re-install the dust cover. If a bearing replacement is due, it really isn't too tough of a job. I'd say half a day max for a couple of amateurs with beverage of choice and basic hand tools.

ok I have a polairs super sport 500 (well 488cc) year is 98. my speedo quit working too should I be worryed about the bearings????

never hurts to look my guess is yes your bearings are prolly starting to fail or there gone. this is a common thing with the mid 90's polaris's if the speedo's go the bearing is next to follow. my eamil is posted above if you have ne other trouble. if you have ?'s just give a shout.

For you guys that have mid 90s sleds i think your sleds took a good pounding for the lack of snow in MN. I know mine did. Drive bearings went out in less than 1500 miles. If you drive lakes or flat land your bearings could last for 3000 miles. In general bearings should be replaced around 2000 miles. Jack the back of your sled way up high and look at the bearing were the speedo is and you can see if the jack-shaft is off center of the bearing.

If the shaft is offset the bearing could be totally gone and that the only thing keeping the jack-shaft in place is the bearing housing. I cant stress the importance on how much money you will save by just changing your bearings now after your speedo link breaks in stead of waiting. Sleds take a tremendous beating year after year and replacing your speedo and both drive bearings is normal maintenance.

In general bearings should be replaced around 2000 miles.

If thats the case, at my current rate of piling on miles I'd have to do them every year before the season ends. (I ran over 470 miles this weekend alone) My sleds must be way out of the ordinary too. My last Skidoo was a 97 Formula Z. It had over 14,000 miles and had the originals in it. My current sled, a Skidoo Renegade, has over 8500 with the originals in it. I inspect and change the chaincase lube yearly, grease it after every ride, and adjust belt and track when necessary and have very few problems. In fact in all the sleds I've owned (10) I've only put them in one, that was my Mach 1, and I tortured that poor sled. wink

I bought a used sled this past fall. My speedometer worked early in the winter, but has not been working the last month or so. Should I be worried about the bearings?

I am not very savvy with engines. Where are the bearings even located? How do I check to see if they are going bad?

the bearing that goes bad is behind the secondary clutch on the bottom of the tube. I'm not sure if you can see if the bearing is bad by just looking underneath the tube on the clutch side. If I check them I just take off the secondary clutch and lossin the three bolts and walla its done.

ok, I have been reading on this site and others about bearings, speedo keys, etc. It sounds pretty straight for to actually get to the bearings for inspection.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how will I know if they are bad? what will they look like if bad?

If your speedo quite working that is your clue to replace the bearing on the PTO side. Its and easy and quick fix. You can wait till it starts to growl and grind, then you'll be replacing the axle too. When you get your bearing you'll have to pull the seal off one side, that would be the outside so you can grease it though the zerk. Don't over due it on the grease or you'll push the seal out of the inner side.

This is good info for a new guy like me. Any chance any of you guys who know might want to post a pic of the general area you are talking about. Mine works, but want to be ready for when it doesn't... smile Thanks for info.

I've replaced several on Cats, primarily, because those bearings were not sealed well and lasted 3,000 on average for me.

Box, I understand...I'm still learning over time.. if you were to flip your sled on it's side a little, and looking at the track the PTO side is "driver's side" if it were a car.

You will see the driveshaft (a shaft with the big plastic cog wheels that turn the track), the PTO side there is a bearing connected to the end of the driveshaft.

On my Cat's, inside the hood, below the secondary driveshaft you should see the speedometer cable connected to a housing. Inside this housing is the driveshaft, bearing, speedo key, etc. where it's connected to the frame of the snowmobile.

Replacing the bearing is not bad if you can get the old bearing to slip off the driveshaft. However, I've had them rust on and needed to be pressed off. Then, the suspension has to come out, track and disassembly of the chaincase side of the driveshaft. This job is not desireable at all, and patience levels are tested. Another set of hands really helps...