• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Rod/Reel

Brade04

I love my Thorne Sweetheart too, I wish the spring bobber was a little better...

But really, you want a soft tip with a little bit of backbone. And a small reel with a good SMOOTH drag (more for the chance you hook into a walleye). I use 2 or 3 lb test.

I think the Cabelas XML combos are a pretty good deal, and a pretty good rod for the money. I also think the St. Croix rods are a good value.

But probably the best value is the Thorne Hardwater Series ($29), which are almost as good as their custom line of rods.

A good crappie rod needs to be versatile as you could be jigging some bigger spoons with it one moment and then spring bobbering with a tiny little bug on it the next.

So I really like a softer tip, but some good power backbone. Which is exactly what the thorne rods are.

I really like the Thorne Brothers Sweet Thing for working gills and the panfish sweetheart for crappies. For reels I use Tica Cetus SB500, Abu Garcia Cardinal 300U or Mitchell Avocet Gold 500U. All have good drags with the Tica and the Mitchell having the smoothest.

I use a cheap Gander Reel. St. Croix UL and HT spring bobber with 4 lb vanish. It does the job just like expensive rods at a cheaper cost

The reason I use a UL is I like the rod to play the fish..+ it is much more fun to catch them with

i like my 24" bro series rod combo, the reel that it came with is ok, but i would prefer a tica or shimano 500.

you need to look closely at the guides to make sure they are all lined up

I almost bought one of the Bro Series.

They look like a great rod

Yes they are a very nice rod if you can find one with straight guides

The reel is fairly good too, but i do not like that the handle is a push button to fold and not the typical screw type. Im also not quite sure about the drag cap, it always seems a little wobbly... But the drag itself is awsome nice and smooth and other than those two things i mentioned its a great reel.

There are a variety of different spring bobbers out there. I personally have two rods rigged up with them and I don't try to fish any other bobbers with them. I do believe however that the style of spring bobber I use, a bobber stop knot would fit through.

When looking at decent combos for the money, don't forget to look at the guide series rods and reels. I have a bunch of them and I don't have to justify to the wife spending a lot on a rod and reel combo. I would love to add some more thorne brothers rods to my collection, however I can't justify it. Typically Instead of buying combos, I buy rods and reels seperate. I have noticed over the years that in most combos, you either get a decent rod and a sub-par reel, or a decent reel with a sub-par rod.

My favorite crappie rig right now is a $9.99 guide series 24" UL paired with a tica.

There's my $0.02

CA

I like the St Croix premiere 28" UL. Great rod for the price, but if you can afford it the TB rods are the best.

Pflueger has a great line of reels, I have a few different sizes of the Trion which is the cheapest of the pfluegers and they're all great. Smooth drag and they have been durable so far. Doesn't stiffen up in cold weather either. I tried a couple Gander Mt professional series ice reals and I am for sure staying away from those from now on.