• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cordless drill augers?

say_der

I recently saw a demo of a drill/auger adaptor that looked real nice. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I remember being amazed at how many holes could be drilled with a cordless. I have sent the gentleman an e-mail, and hopefully he will respond here with more info. Dave S

For lower depths of ice you may be fine and for maybe a 5-6" hole but generally your Drill won't have enough Torque. So then you would need to buy an 18Volt drill and for the money to get a good one of those you might as well go buy an auger.

------------------
Tight Lines,
JP Z
My Sponsors

I was up at the Cabala's tournament last Thursday at LOTW, and the guy who developed the Drill idea was there and talking about it. He claimed it would drill 50 holes on a charge!! A couple of resort owners were standing next to me and they all doubted if it could "Do" as represented!! He also stated he had a video showing it in action, but nobody took him up on it... I'm not from Missouri, but I'd have to see it in action, to believe it... Kaz

I've got one since it was more cost efficient and fits my current ice-fishing style better than a gas auger. I like it. Of course, I'm using a 24V drill with it. I haven't tested to see how many holes I could drill but I had drilled at least 6 holes through 18 inches of ice with it one day.

You gotta be kidding me right? A cordless drill attached to your auger! I have a 18v cordless drill, and now you have my curiosity sparked, i might have to try it just for giggles.LOL. How sweet would that be, setting up in the dark along side of your buddies and not making a sound. I doubt it would work, seems like an awfull lot of torque would be needed. bring on the ice baby!

REMEMBER TO: CROSS THEIR EYES

I tried a cordless drill on an ice aguer last year. 19.2 volt drill, with a four inch lazer hand auger. It worked OK. It drilled some holes easily but it would bind up on others. A few times during drilling the drill began to smoke - not a good thing. I think this is very hard on the drill, especially with a larger auger.

Iowa Boy: WOW, have I got my Tournaments wrong. I posted Cabela's above when it was the GWNC I should of credited.. To many catalogs coming and I can't get Cabela's out of my head...LOL. I saw the same guy up a LOTW Thursday and he made the same claim... 50 holes on a single charge???? Well, I have to see it to believe it....Kaz

Mr. Stadler. Thanks for the invite. I see there are disblievers about the use of cordless drills. They need to see the video I showed you...18 Volt 6" lazer = 50 feet of GOOD ice. Speed-7 second pre foot. The YoAuger adaptes to most hand augers.

YoGents Didn't see my reply so thought I would try again. I beleive in the YoAuger adapter. I have the video of the field test. And here are the results. 18 volt dewalt on a 6 inch lazer hand auger = 50 feet of good ice drilled. Average time was 7 seconds per foot. Did not bind up once, No bloody finger, or fractured pinky. If you are worried about binding, set the clutch on your drill below the locked position.

Please no unauthorized links or commercial posts! If you have any questions please use the "contact us" link below. Thanks Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 10-15-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 10-16-2004).]

I don't know what the "YoAuger" looked like but I've got a simple attachment for my 6" hand auger that I use. The secret is sharp blades. I'm definitely going to need to get mine sharpened. Yes, I did get some hangups but nothing more than what I get when using the auger by hand. I'm definitely going to give it a good test run this coming winter.... drilling as many holes as I possibly can on one full charge.

Am I missing something here? I went out into the garage and took a look at my cordless drill...then at my ice auger, then at my cordless drill...no way is that going to work worth a lash, in my humble opinion....!

At the very best, it would have to be really slow...if not, it would have enough torque to twist your hands right off in short order.....at least bloody up your fingers!

Hypothetically, say it does have enough ommmph to cut 50 holes (No way, I just looked at the little drill again.) It would take you all day to cut the holes and you would'nt have any time to fish!

I've had the ice bind my Strikemaster on occassion and I had an old Jiffy with an 85 hp v-8 engine on it and pipe handles, almost break my hand when it bound on the ice. A little hand drill?

An automobile battery sometimes starts to whimper when the temps start to bottom out here at home?

Never say never, but this I would have to see first hand.

Not hard to believe at all, think of the torque your drill puts out. Could you even come close to hand torqueing some bolts into some hardwood compared to a 18v cordless?

The key to success would be sharp blades and I would guess keeping your hole diameters less than 6". Guys were using cordless drill augers out east last year with success. Than again, they were probably panfisherman augering 6" or smaller holes thru less than a foot and a half of ice.

I don't think they would do as well here in MN, where we have do deal with 3ft of late season ice. I also don't think a 8" or 10" auger blade would work all to well. But for early season ice and panfishing, I think a cordless drill auger would have more than enough power to get a couple dozen holes out of one battery charge.