• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need some insight on ice augers please.

LoveToFish

I am thinking about buying a new ice auger this year. Does anyone know if the 9 inch Jiffy auger will fit on a 2hp Strike Master motor? I really like the 9 inch hole and Strike Mater only offers it on their 3 blade model. I have a buddy that had the 3 blade set up and the auger it’s self was nothing but trouble, but the motor always ran great.
Thanks for any insight.

loveto fish

I bought the three blade strikemaster last year and love it. Have not had any real problems with it. I do not believe the jiffy will fit the strikemaster motor. different hookups.

O

The Strikemaster is a nice auger, I've used the 8 inch Express Mag for the past several years without any problems. But, I would also check out the Eskimo Barracuda or the Eskimo Shark, both have a 9 inch blade option and are very fast cutting and lightweight. The Barracuda is a 2 horse and the Shark is a 2.5 horse. This year I plan on running either an 8 inch Barracuda or a Shark this winter.

------------------
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
Pro Staff Coordinator
FishingMN Sponsors

Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Guided Ice Fishing and More...

Get a 9" jiffy stealth if you want a 9" with a jiffy. I have a 10" and absolutly love it. The stealth it will fit on any old jiffy motor unit if you have one.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
iffwalleyes at yahoo.com

Hopefully I will also be running an Eskimo Shark this winter. I had a chance to use Pete Riola's on MilleLacs last winter and couldn't believe how fast it cut ice. Decided then and there that I had to have one.

------------------
Paul
ProStaff Director
FishingMinnesota
Iceleaders
My Sponsors

[email protected]

The older strikemaster Ultra 3-blade augers had a recall on them if you didnt know that. We had one that didnt cut worth a darn and we took it to strikemaster to see what was wrong with it. Well they said it was a recalled design and we got a new auger with some blades and now it cuts ice like butter.

Since a jiffy auger wont work on a strikemaster motor. Why dont ya check out Eskimos like of Sharks. They are by far the best motor out there, they are basically a chain saw motor. They have so many pros with VERY few cons. And both Strikemaster and Eskimo spin the same way.
We put our 3-blade on the eskimo shark motor...that thing sinks through the ice now its so fast.
But really you should look into that. They are a very nice auger.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

augernaut, why`d you tell him they turn different directions? I was hoping he`d come back and say that he bought the Jiffy head and couldnt figure out why it didnt cut ice.

The Lazer Mag Ultra 9" is junk. I remember trying to invent cusswords to call the 2 I have ever dealt with. I would use a hand auger before one of those. But the Mag Express is great. Mag2000 is fine also. I have a Jiffy Stealth 3hp. Its great. Matter of fact, Lazer Mag Ultra is only auger Ive ever seen that wasnt a fine product.

After using drilling a few holes with an Eskimo Shark last year I can safely say there is nothing better out there than this model at this time.....For sure.

I got rid of my other auger and will have one of these before the ice gets thick! Wish I would have bought one last spring when they were on sale.

Regards....fiskyknut

quote:

Originally posted by fiskyknut:

I can safely say there is nothing better out there than this model at this time.....For sure.

Those are fightin' words. wink.gif ....I'll be quiet... grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Bob_D (edited 10-12-2004).]

My vote would be for the Jiffy Stealth in a 8" or 9" model.

The Stealth will cut any type of ice under any conditions, soft crystallized or hard..it will chew right through it. They also re-open old ice holes better then any auger system on the market today. Plus they can do it without damaging the cutting edge's or jumping, so it is also safer to use. The new hi-tech materials used for the drive on the Stealth resists stress and wear and will operate smoothly even in deepest cold winter conditions.

Maintenance is a snap, sharpening is a simple do it yourself deal and if maintained periodically a set of blades will last you years.

For my money the Jiffy Stealth is the most versatile and dependable system available. As a long time fan of the Jiffy line I also have found that Jiffy has a superior service department. So if you ever should need any work done or warranty service they go the extra mile to get it done fast and right.

------------------
Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"

701-893-9107

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Ed Carlson (edited 10-12-2004).]

I dug this up from a previous thread where I'd posted my recomendation of the Eskimo Shark...... grin.gif I've had mine for 3 years now and it's BY FAR the best auger I've ever owned for these reasons:

"Here we go again......
ESKIMO SHARK.
Everyone has their favorite, here's my opinion posted in a previous thread:
A couple more points supporting my endorsement of the Eskimo Shark:
- The only auger that DOES NOT use a tecumseh motor. The eskimo shark has a chain saw type motor that runs at almost twice the RPM's of any strikemaster or Jiffy. (how often do chainsaw motors wear out ??)
-It has a priming bulb on the carb, so no matter how cold it is outside you give the bulb a couple little pumps and it starts on the first or second pull EVERY TIME
-You can set it down immediately after starting and IT WILL IDLE and continue to run until its' out of gas.
-You can set it down on any of its 4 sides and it will stand up and not fall over or leak gas, and the handles are all metal, not plastic.
-Did I mention that the gas tank has a gas cap that breathes and DOES NOT LEAK.
-Ardisan, the manufacturer in Wisconsin stands behind everything they sell and will take care of their customers even after the sale. I had a great experience with them providing a new canvas cover at no cost for my eskimo portable.
-It pulls itself through 48" of ice so fast, you better pull it up and clear the bit a couple times before you go through
-Weighs about the same as my old strikemaster 2hp.

Just my $.02"

Twitter

Thanks guys, you have given me some things to think about. A couple of you have talked about how the Eskimo Shark turns so fast, is it the kind of deal where as soon as you hit the water you are wet up to your waist?
Oh yea, thanks Mr.Seaguar, I would have figured it out, but then you all would have had to hear my complaints that no one told me they turned different directions. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by LoveToFish (edited 10-12-2004).]

Mr.Seaguar
I laughed when I saw your post about not telling him they spin different. It brought back memories of a couple of years ago. I was fishing away when there was a knock on my door. It was a couple high school age kids and they asked if they could borrow my auger to drill some holes because there auger wasn't cutting even with a new blade they had just put on. I said no you can't borrow it but I would be glad to drill you some holes so you can get your lines wet. I went over there and drill out holes for them with my old trusty model 30. I looked at their auger and left. On my way back it dawned on me they they had a eskimo powerhead with a black drill bit on it. I am pretty sure that eskimo has never had a black bit. I thought about it some more and looked back sure enough it was a jiffy auger bit. I thought to myself it is going to take one heck of a new blade to get that combination to work. I got a good laugh from it as well as my buddy that was along.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
iffwalleyes at yahoo.com

You won't have a problem with getting wet using the Shark, it's no different than any other auger as far as when you hit the water.

------------------
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
Pro Staff Coordinator
FishingMN Sponsors

Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Guided Ice Fishing and More...

Lovetofish,
If you have the coin, you may want to look at the Nils Master augers. I have one and I really like it. It's fast, light, and works very well for me.

Everybody is different. I suggest that you do some research and find the one that fits your needs. I think all the major brands are reliable, so it's a matter of personal choice.

OOOPS! I just read that you wanted 9"......I guess that rules out the Nils. Sorry...my bad.

[This message has been edited by Bob_D (edited 10-14-2004).]