• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV OR SNOWMOBLIE

GRAND DAD

Ok witch one is better for icefishing this year I will have two fishhouses one's 8X24 and the other one is 6x12 both are bulit on trailers what is better for pulling them around and if we get a lot of snow this year what one is going to have the best chance of pulling them in or all over the lake any info would be great I cant make up my mind witch one to get!!

I'll give you my opinion. You would get more use with an ATV. It can be used year round.
Look at the last several winters around here and the majority have been low snow for the most part. Lots of bare ice, especially early to mid season. Sleds aren't designed for extended use on bare ice. There will always be exceptions and deep snow would be a problem with an ATV but my money is still with a wheeler. My inlaws have always had a 2-wheel drive ATV and with chains on the rear wheels I have never seen it stopped by by normal snow depths. We even pulled a large shack on wheels out on the lake a couple winters.

[This message has been edited by Suzuki (edited 09-15-2004).]

LOL!!! The annual ATV vs. Snowmobile thread!! To tell you the truth, I was just about to post this yesterday, but had to get off the computer due to the weather....

While they both have their places, my choice is a 4x4 ATV. Basically for some of the reasons stated above. Mostly due to the year round use issue.

In your case, pulling the 6x12 is very do-able, but the 8x24, unless it's extremely light weight, should be pulled by a full sized vehicle. Not an ATV. I'm sure the ATV could do it, but you put it at risk for damage.

My recommendation.... 4x4 ATV!!

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

[This message has been edited by Moose-Hunter (edited 09-15-2004).]

Those are some huge fish houses you are talking about. Probably going to need a big 4X4 truck for those. Snowmobiles are great for ice fishing and being mobile but you don't have to worry about being mobile with houses that big.

I wouldn't expect an ATV or a sled to pull a 6x12 and 8x24 fishhouses. Those are quite large. Even with a trailer, any amount of snow will greatly effect the pulling performance. With about 6" of snow my 4x4 450cc ATV struggles by itself, add pulling a portable it really works hard. A snowmobile is not simply made to pull extreme weights like this.

I'd say a 4x4 truck, like a 3/4 ton with a plow will flip the bill.

well the 6X12 for the last 2 years i have pulled out my self so it's very light with little snow on the ground I just tie a rope around my wast a pull takes me awhile but I get to were i want to go great work out the 8X24 I pick up this week end and the guy said it real lite that he has pulled it with a 3 and a 4 wheeler the are both with the retrakable wheels!!

If that's the case, ATV. Haul the ATV in the back of your truck and you are ready to go for early ice. A snowmobile would require another trailer to haul, and more than likely would not work hauling a fishhouse at the same time.

Buy chains for all four tires and it will be a heck of a lot better! A plow for the ATV is really nice for plowing a lane and banking the fishhouse.

The toys never end... grin.gif

I used to have a 8 x 12 that was fairly light. It was mounted on skids. I could pull it with a 250 cc 2 x 4 (with chains)if there was little snow. A 500cc 4 x 4 would pull it through about 5 inches of snow, providing it was fresh and soft. It was really working hard, though. Anything more, forget it. Those skids made a lot of resistance. A rig on wheels would pull much better. Once the winter progressed, the Bronco did the pulling.

I never even tried my snomobiles. Unless you get a widetrack with the two speed gearbox, you are asking for trouble on a house that big. I have seen Indy Widetracks pull some mighty heavy houses up in the NW ANgle. These houses were on skids, with teflon on the bottoms. This was with very minimal snow cover, however.

Grand Dad-

They sell those ramps all over the place. Cabelas has a good selection. They also sell brackets that you can mount on a couple 2x8's 10's or whatever size lumber you want to use.

My vote is for the sled. I don't really have a need for year round use with an ATV quite yet. If we get snow like we had last year up north, I'd forget about bringing the ATV with. I saw more ATVs stuck last winter trying to get away from the plowed roads. Sled you can go anywhere. Yes, you shouldn't run a sled without some snow to lube the hyfax. Worst case scenario, you'll just have to replace your hyfax very often if there is minimal snow. I'm a bigtime snowmobiler anyway so it doubles up nicely as a fishing rig too in the winter.

I can't say one way or another as I have a sled and want a 4-wheeler to go with it, but we pulled out a 6x12 house with little or no issues with the sled. No real snow on the lake so that makes it easy, but if there is a lot of snow...good luck with the wheeler....

Also...about the 4 wheeler in the back of the truck. I built a ramp that the sled drives up on, and then once the sled is on the ramp I just set the brake, tilt the ramp up and slide the whole set up ramp in to the back of the truck. Very easy for me to haul around the sled by myself. I barely ever used my trailer last year. I can get picks in the next few weeks if wanted by anyone.

When we actually get a year with some snow, us snowmobilers will be all over the lake fishing while the atv's will be having quite a time. It only takes about 10 inches of snow and it's slow-going for atv's. I've put the hyperfax on my sled along with studs and I no longer have to worry about running on the bare ice. When there is a foot or even 2 the sled just flies right through it even with my portable behind it.

Hi Grand Dad...

Although I'd recommend an ATV, I must admit to you that I also have a snowmobile which I've used every year, snow or not, because up until this year, it's all I had. The sled has served me well. Getting me back and forth to my permanent as well as towing my gear/portable when doing the run-and-gun. I even use it to tow my 8x8 out for early ice, and back in again when the ice is not safe for my truck. She's really workin' but rarely complains. So my original post was based more on opinion and "gut feeling" than actual fact. I apologize if I mislead you in any way.

I do "feel" an ATV is the better choice, but having the option this year of either one, I guess I'll find out first hand....

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

I have a 6.5x12 retractable that I pull all over with the atv. I have chains for the front and back. I should mention that there has not been much snow accumulation on the lakes the past few years and I know I never would have pulled it around upper red this past season but as far as early season goes it would be tough to beat the atv. I really like the fact that you can just idle around without beating the **** out of your equipment

I don't have a big permanent shak or have a need for an ATV during the rest of the season.I stay mobile on the ice and just tow my Otter around.For me its a snowmobile.I have seen too many times,especially up north where an ATV is useless because of deep snow.A snowmobile however has little problem getting around.With a studded track I also have no problem getting around on the ice before the snow piles up.And with fresh carbides,you can steer pretty good without having to pick the back end up and "point" the sled in the direction you want to go. smile.gif
I have been dreaming about getting a SkiDoo Scandic.They look to me like one of the best sleds out there for the job.I like the long track/two up and gear rack on the back.Maybee next season....

This is a great thread with lots of valid opinions. I've used both sleds and ATVs.

The #1 question- will you use the ATV for anything other than ice fishing (hunting, plowing, rec, etc)?

If the answer is NO, a studded sled will serve you well in bare ice and deep snow (not slush, sleds and slush don't mix).

If the answer is YES, go with the ATV. They are all around better. Much more maneuverable in forward AND reverse, easily carry your gear including auger (giving your ATV more traction and keeping your sled/house light.

My $.02.
new owner of a Sportsman 700 EFI