• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cougar sighting

fishinmajishin

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on BOB T pokin fun He!! we read about it daily.How many you seen or know someone (reputable) who is watching these so called cougar. Reports I've read imagination sets in! One spotted a cougar turns out just a large house cat,Remember the Black Panther?? again large house cat just was black.One spotting was a neighbors yellow lab.What the imagination can drum up is incredable! Once the thought is implanted.

Show me a track pic,or a animal pic they should be easy to come by just sit where ALL this sighting occures,But ya know what of all these sightings there are no evidence,no proof just heresay!

Listen to the DNR Or is that a conspiracy?

I can believe here are a few here and there in this state but for all the hub bub ya make me think its the southwest and a open season should be in place.or at least some kind of population control,before they start takin children!

I'm not making light of the situation, just putting it in perspective. It's just human nature to be concerned about creatures that can kill and consume us, I understand that. Hence the attention this thread has attracted. Especially here in MN, a thread like this on a Fishing California HSOforum wouldn't get near the views this one has, just because it's a common occurance out there.

I've been there before, that fear of the unknown when you're all alone in the woods. From the walking after dark down in the MN River Valley through (Land of the Lost/Sleestack) type vegetation to pre-dawn treks to remote trout lakes in the frozen tundra of upnorth. The mind can play tricks on ya, even more so when there's some noises you've never heard before echoing through the darkness..........BOO! wink

Plus, falling from your treestand and breaking your neck or having a heart attack while dragging a deer out just isn't a Jeremiah Johnson way to go. If we're gonna meet our demise while out enjoying the woods, in the back of all our minds, I think we want to go out fighting a GRIZZZZZ. laugh

I seen a wolverine attacking a cougar out of my stand this year! Just amazing!!

But after the intial attack bigfoot stepped in to break it up! The one time I didnt have my video camera with! Real bummer!

But I did report it to the state and all they said was next year they will offer licenses for these critters so they can cash in on us sportspeople!

I figured your post was sarcastic as soon as I saw the wolverine reference. Although there are reports of people in that area now seeing wolverines. The DNR is thinking the sightings are nothing more than Fishers.

I burst out in tears laughing one day as my neighbors came running over to say they had a badger in their tree. Once I got over there, the badger then became a wolverine. I couldn't contain myself anymore and asked where the critter was. Turned out to be a woodchuck.

Remember the Black Panther??

I sure do I seen it from about 30 feet on my way to work. It was in the ditch eating on a road kill deer. It turned sideways and headed out into a picked bean field. That sure was one big cat. I worried about the kids waiting for the school bus and it sure made going to my early morning bow stand interesting.

Tink

I think the concern/fear of these powerful animals is fair to have. I hunt north of park rapids, and there is evidence of cougars, bobcats, wolfs, bears in this area as well as other areas of the state, but in reality the chance of you running into one is very rare, and then for them to attack is extremely rare, as long as you don't corner them or endanger their young-you will be just fine. For me to this day one of the things that keeps me coming back is getting the hairs on my neck to stand up-it gets the addrenaline up. you should be more worried about crazy hunters than a big cat.-have fun this next year i the woods

here we were driving south out of Rapid City, SoDak when we see a cat crossing the road about 1/4 mile ahead. It jumped the ditch and went up a steep slate face about 10 feet. I slowed and when I was just about abreast of it it peered overhead but, decided to leap back down into the ditch and disappeared. It really was a sight to behold. Cat season is open so, I supposse someone had it on the run.

I wouldn't rule out the idea of a big cat doing this. They will often times move their prey from the site of the kill prior to eating it to avoid any competition from other predators.

Whether or not they will use the same area as you mentioned, I couldn't say for sure.