• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cougar sighting

fishinmajishin

Haha settle down dude, its my opinion thats all i think your taking this a little to serious.

Don't read more emotion into my post that what was intended. I was replying more to Pink's question in his post about why someone would cut up a deer like that. I didn't necessarily mean that was the reason they did it. Just that some people will go out of their way to get their mug in the local paper.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure the two yahoos that faked the story got the same email tha all of us got 5 or 6 times with the pictures of the big cats eating a deer. They figured why not, and made up the story. Pretty sorry if you ask me, hope they get ridiculed from there buddies or whoever they hang out with. I can only call them one thing.... LOSERS...

OK so i called the DNR and talked to an unidentified source and they said they are releasing cougars to kill the barry bonds buck and any deer related to the barry bonds buck. After they are killed they will trap all the cougars and bring them back to their native land in Greenbush MN

Dwight you're killing me. I re-read that link again about the deer up north, plus heard this story on the news. 'The damage to the deer was from the bullet and the butchering but we don't know what caused the teeth marks in the neck.' That is me paraphrasing not a direct quote

I'm pretty sure the two yahoos that faked the story got the same email tha all of us got 5 or 6 times with the pictures of the big cats eating a deer. They figured why not, and made up the story. Pretty sorry if you ask me, hope they get ridiculed from there buddies or whoever they hang out with. I can only call them one thing.... LOSERS...

Pretty strong words for confirming these guys are "losers" and "yahoos" for reporting an incident that happened. eek Nowhere does it say they made up the story, dude. Sure, I saw the news, articles and whatnot. I see one DNR official denying that it happened....while 2 other DNR officials who saw the evidence believe the hunters. It's also possible I got the story directly from one of the witnesses/hunters himself, so yes, I definitely believe a big cat went after a wounded deer for an easy meal. Let's not be too quick to judge.

There are cougars roaming MN, no doubt about that.

Cougars released by the DNR? Paaalease.....tinfoil hat territory for sure.

You guys are underestimating the extent and distance that animals can and do travel.

A radio collared wolf went from Carlos Avery all the way to the outskirts of Green Bay, and then came back to Carlos Avery in a very short timeframe. (Just think of all the roads and rivers that wolf had to cross safely)

They have been radio tracking Bluebills this fall flying from Canada to Cuba NONSTOP!

A cougar coming from the Black Hills to MN would only take a couple of weeks traveling at 3 miles an hour for 16 hours a day. The world isn't that big folks.

The cougar caught on a trail cam at Cargil in Savage was only 1.6 miles from my house, plus every worknight I drive within a couple hundred yards of where a cougar was shot by the Bloomington Police a few years ago.

They're out there, and it is indeed one of the few animals that I fear (I guess not fear, but I give a heavy dose of respect) in the woods. They're a cat, a predator to the bone. Wolves and Bears? Meh, highly unlikely is the chance of attack. In fact the odds are almost nil. A mountain lion on the other hand is attacking for mostly one reason - food.

I did have a discussion with the guy who use to be in charge of tracking down cougar sightings in MN. He has since retired from the DNR, but he pretty much stated that a large percentage of cougar sightings are released pets. With some roamers from out of state, but with increasing numbers out west, he isn't all that suprised that more and more are finding thier way here. I send him pics of supposed cougar sightings, and he usually responds with a very educated guess on what he thinks it is.

They're just part of the woods, not the boogeyman.

3 cougar pets raised together and fed together their whole lives, released into the wild by their owners, and then sharing a meal and getting caught on camera? Doesn't sound too far fetched to me. I have talked to residents of Bloomington that have seen cougars repeatedly AFTER the one was shot, and I know the authorities are aware of them in the bluffs of the Minnesota River. My old man has seen one in Ottertail county, and there are neighbors that have sightings themselves.

I have no doubt in my mind that there are cougars in Minnesota, but there is no way the DNR would be introducing them into the wild. They are here on their own, or as stated they are released by owners as former pets. Now THAT is plausible. Let them be; if there is a problem, it will get taken care of. After all; this has been posted in a "Hunting" forum on a Outdoors-heavy HSOforum. No shortage of guns and ammo here.

And exactly where have these photos been confirmed that they were even taken in Minnesota? Anyone? I don't really get the "Greenbush" tie-in, though, other than that is what the email that everyone gets says. How about the Amish Buck in MN/WI/OH? Or our favorite photos of the Rainy Lake/ Lake of the Woods/Holland Northern? Real photos; Fake accompanying stories.

Quote:
everyone has a guy at the DNR but me

Funny stuff Pink, but there are plenty of DNR guys out there, and if you spend enough time in the woods, you are bound to run into one or another at some point.

MY GUY is (was) a front line guy, a biologist. Those are the DNR guys I put some stock in. The fishery guys, the forestry guys, the guys that are actually spend many days afield. I don't feel the same ways towards DNR guys that hunker down in the office in St Paul all week. Nothing against them, but it's like here on Fishing Minnesota, I put a lot more stock in the guys opinions who get out fishing a couple hundred times a year vs the guy who only fishes the holiday weekends.

Quote:
everyone has a guy at the DNR but me

Funny stuff Pink, but there are plenty of DNR guys out there, and if you spend enough time in the woods, you are bound to run into one or another at some point.

Well I would completely tail off the subject here, but we are talking about DNR, so here goes: The female officer that patrols around the white bear lake, bald eagle lake is smokin hot! My buddy- YO-Pauly! and I nicknamed her officer hottie

I don't know what of the 3 are more scary, for one, everyone has a guy at the DNR but me. Second, you can purchase mountain lion pups? Or, being stalked by one of those bad boys

From the Mn DNR page on cougars:

Population and management

The cougar is a protected species in Minnesota, meaning that it cannot be hunted or trapped. It is unknown how many cougar sightings are of escaped or released pet cougars, which people can buy from game farms and legally own.

yeah my moms friend had 2 cougar cubs...he lived down in indiana and brought them up here for vacation..they were cool and wrestled with my dog...they ended up get super expensive to feed because they would eat like a turkey a day each...then they started getting agressive so he donated them to a local zoo.

not just anyone can get them though cause after he left i wanted some lol...you have to get a permit and someone comes to your house and you have to have a certain size area for them and some other criteria.

I don't know what of the 3 are more scary, for one, everyone has a guy at the DNR but me. Second, you can purchase mountain lion pups? Or, being stalked by one of those bad boys

HA! I got it, got a friend who has a friend who has a Dad in the DNR formerly based out of Bemidji! I got an e-mail out! If anyone would know its a DNR guy from Bemidji! Go Beavers!