• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cougar sighting

fishinmajishin

Odonata,

We most likely had this cougar spotted by my neighbor this summer crossing our road just south of Cloquet off the Moorhead Rd.

She watched it come out of my property and cross the road onto a pipeline right of way. She estimated the weight to be the same as my husky, about 65-70#'s, and a tail about the same length as the body.

I called the Cloquet DNR office and talked to the wildlife guy and he said that yes, it was most likely a young male that was traveling from the Dakota's to find his own "range". He said that they mostly move thru an area with too much human population.

I also remember a vet having to put down a horse outside Ely several years ago after a cougar attack. Here is the article.

http://www.timberjay.com/current.php?article=787

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odonata,

We most likely had this cougar spotted by my neighbor this summer crossing our road just south of Cloquet off the Moorhead Rd.

I also remember a vet having to put down a horse outside Ely several years ago after a cougar attack. Here is the article.

http://www.timberjay.com/current.php?article=787

There was a family west of Cromwell that had a few animals taken last year too. I am glad the Cloquet office acknowledged the sighting. The source I talked to around Carlton was near Shields Road west of Chub Lake.

When I played that video in slow motion you could see that cat had the long tail. That was a cougar IMO.

Changed my mind.......I slowed it down again and looked at the first frame....I think that cat had pointed ear tips......I think that may be a Bobcat or a Lynx???????

Sure looks like a cougar in that short stint, and a black tipped tail (how long is questionable). On second thought I'm thinking Bobcat. It appears too short and too small in size. That short video frame doesn't give us a good enough view.

Post a picture of a deer using that trail for reference on how far the camera is back, height of weeds, brush, etc.. wink

I have seen a Cougar in person, from less than 15 yards away. They are big and it's not cool to see one that close. eek Cougars definitely roam MN...

Definitely NOT a bobcat!

From Wikipedia:

The adult male Bobcat is 28 to 47 inches (70–120 cm) long, averaging 36 inches (90 cm); this includes a stubby 4 to 7 inch (10–18 cm) tail, which has a "bobbed" appearance and gives the species its name.

The cat in this video clearly has a tail longer then 4-7 inches, CLEARLY!

It's a cougar, whether or not the video is from MN can be about the only thing to debate here!

I have looked at it at least five times and I cannot even tell it is a cat. I have seen a mountain lion in the wild and the tail is much more distinct. To me the view is not long enough or clear enough. It almost looks like a doe!

That just doesnt look to be the size of a cougar. and its tail is black starting about half way down. That is also not prevalent on cougars. I honestly think its a bob cat- or even a dog of some kind. It just doesnt move like a cougar either.

Definitely NOT a bobcat!

From Wikipedia:

The adult male Bobcat is 28 to 47 inches (70–120 cm) long, averaging 36 inches (90 cm); this includes a stubby 4 to 7 inch (10–18 cm) tail, which has a "bobbed" appearance and gives the species its name.

The cat in this video clearly has a tail longer then 4-7 inches, CLEARLY!

It's a cougar, whether or not the video is from MN can be about the only thing to debate here!