• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite tasting fish?

hanson

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a fish fry last summer, everyone blind tasted 5 diff kinds fish. There were thirteen of us not counting the cook they kept track of what fish were what. Everyone picked bass as #1, all but 2 said northern as #2, 8 said next were crappie then sunnies, with walleye coming last. The lake was clear and cold 4 august. Personnally I think it varies from laka to lake, clarity, temp.
GRIZ

"Hearing someone say it's okay to eat northerns but not muskies sounds alot to me like hearing someone say it's okay to eat sauger but not walleyes."

Actually, I bet they do taste the same, but we cannot find out because the eating sized muskies are not legal to keep. I wouldn't want to eat a 40 incher, musky or pike, yuk yuk! tongue.gif

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}}("< ---><!>

Of the saltwater types I like Halibut,smoked
Salmon, than fresh salmon.

Freshwater types I like Bluegill, Crappie,
Perch, Walleye, Burbout than Northern.

Although Walleye baked in the oven or poached, ranks right up there.

Boneless Apatite

JIGLFIN;

Little Bone, you are right about the northern pike being numerous , and also right about being able to de-bone the pike. I had never seen it done before a trip to Gods River Canada. However , now that I have seen how the Indian guides did it for shore lunch last year It made me a beliver and now eat more northern than I used too.UMMM GOOD.

Here is my list

1)crappie
2)walleye
3)perch
4)sunfish
I eat eelpout for the first time this winter. Everybody was saying that it was so good, well it kind of taste like lobster in a way. It's not to bad. I have on had the back straps though.

All time #1 no matter what is a walleye on the grill.
The best thing by far.

Leave the skins on the walleye and put some herb and garlic on the fillet. (Just burn the heck out of the skin (scales) so the meat is cooked.)
Thats called, "Good Eating!"
Anybody else eat their walleyes like this?

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

Localguide

Yes I also really like them on the grill. Do it a bit diff though. I'll fillet the skin off make a tray outta tin foil then put lots of butter little season salt and lemon pepper. I'll try it without skinning them might be better?
GRIZ

My 2 cents.
Crappies are the best.
Northerns are 2nd. It only takes one extra cut to get the bones out. They are easy to catch, plentiful in the lakes. Walleyes are good, but much harder to find on a consistent basis. Once you learn how to fillet a northern and make it boneless, you will have a hard time telling them apart from a walleye.
However, I will eat most any fish that I have caught that day.
Jim

The funny thing about smoked fish is that ANY fish smoked is good, you could smoke a piece of dump and people would say it's good.

1. Perch
2. Trout - Splake Rainbows and Lakers
3. Walleye
4. Crappies
5. Sunfish

Never had eelpout, might take alot of nerve to try that.

RU

Griz, just keep the skin on.
Put it on the grill at a med/high flame and let the scales/skin burn black. To tell when it done it pretty easy, just watch when the fillet on top, when it starts to spread open then its close to being done.

I top mine with some Lipton's herb and garlic, Just mix it with butter and spread it on top. Then when you're ready to eat it just take your fork and peel the fillet off the skin and consume.

MMMMMMMMMM Good! To me thats a $20 meal at a restaurant.

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

Anyone should know without a doubt, what the best tasting fish in Minnesota, or the world for that matter..."Lutefisk" I was fortunate enough to land 5 of them out of Lake Minnetonka this past season...I fished a small chunk of Lefsa on a little purple yig!

In my opinion...Perch and pout are edible but...Browns, Rainbows and Smallmouths are on an even keel with Bullheads....A pan fried Brook trout is pretty good, but I think they are actually Char, not trout.

Smaller broiled Splake and lakers, with all the spices and butter and such, are pretty good eatin! Blackened, fresh Salmon steaks are also very good. All three of them smoked, will knock your socks off if they are done up right!

Pollock are good, as are Ocean Perch, Cod is better and Halibut is really good... I believe that Swordfish and Sea Bass steaks should be left on Swordfish and Sea Bass!

A small Largemouth Bass, caught early in the season is good...I tried a White Bass I got out of Pokagama last summer and it was a very good fish. Smaller, wild, Catfish are good, I'm not crazy about the commercial types. Rock Bass would probably be a good table fish, if it was'nt for the nasty little yellow grubs they carry...yuk!

A fillet off a 15 to 17 inch Walleye, is about as good as it gets, the same could be said for Sunfish in the 1/2 pound range and Crappies in the 3/4 pound range.

A smaller Sucker, like those you get out of the trout streams, tastes good but has way to many bones, not that good that I would want to choke over them! The same can be said about Northerns and it seems like such a waste to do the total deboning thing on a smaller fish. Smoke em (And still choke!) or pickle them and be done with it.

I hav'nt tried Sheephead yet, that will come this summer. Eating a Musky of any size, although they probably are'nt any different then a Northern, is'nt even in the equation for me. I would'nt even consider eating a large game fish..tried it when I was younger and they were always very nasty tasting.