• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite tasting fish?

hanson

I know somebody is going to say it so I'll get it out of the way- MUSKY!

Seriously now, my favorites are Red Lake Crappies!, sunfish, & walleyes. I don't eat northerns but I here they're very good. A lot of people swear that Eelpout are the best tasting fish that swim. I still haven't gotten up the nerve to try a pout yet!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crappies would have to be my favorite. Man those are good.

Of course Walleyes are tasty but nothing beats a good batch of crappies.

I also eat the occasional trout I get from the the put and take lakes around here. Generally try and grill them if I can or of course putting some nice rainbows in the smoker is always a good choice.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

Any saltwater fish but the ones I like the best are fresh small bluefish or king mackerel. Striper is good as well. These fresh water fish do not have a lot of flavor (but I love catching them). If I need to pick one fish from this state I would take a small pike.

frozen, the wife won you a Marcum, and she cooks for you??? Haha!

I will go with yellow bullheads, the best! These are by far my favorite tasting fish. I enjoy walleye, but they are honestly pretty bland compared to other fish in my opinion. Here's my list:

Yellow Bullhead
Crappie
Eelpout
Yellow Perch
Bluegill
Walleye

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]
-----------------------
Custom Jigs and Spins
Phelps Tackle
Today's Tackle
Stone Legacy
Ice Leaders

You guys are gonna think I'm nuts when I'm done, but here I go (I'm only including fish I actually fish for, not saltwater):

1. Trout
2. Catfish
3. Walleye
4. Bluegill
5. Crappie

Yes, I'll admit it if no one else will--I eat bass out of lakes where there are many small ones, and I think they're quite good. I also eat perch when they aren't full of grubs and bullheads and even freshwater drum. I wouldn't eat a northern or a smoked sucker to save my life, but I'd like to try eelpout once.

Fish taste different depending on size and the body of water they were taken from. But generally speaking, my opinion:

1. medium-sized perch
2. small-to-medium sized crappie
3. bluegill
4. small walleye

yum!

1.crappies 2.small(<20")walleyes 3.sunfish 4.catfish 5.perch. I have never tried eelpout but I heard that they taste just like cod (and poor mans lobster when dipped in butter?) Sound good. I'm hungry. Lets eat!

------------------
(aftacrops nolonga)

Matt:
What can I say;
Some guys have all the luck! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif
who says ya can't have your fish and find them too grin.gif Actually the wife won the Marcum for her (so she says) but she says I can borrow it though if I'm nice smile.gif
I forgot yellow bulls I remember them at the cabin mmmm tastes like chicken ..

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

www.todaystackle.com

Coldwater perch (through the ice) might be my favorite...followed closely by walleye, crappie and northern. The walleye and northern, if they get too big, aren't as good. Walleye under 20", and northern in the 21"-24" range are awfully good.

Northern is probably the one I would say deserves more credit...other than the bones, northern rival most other fish as table fare.

Breeze The Sauger's are yummy for sure. At lotw yrs ago on a trip, we ate them in the ice house as the guts breathed in the corner. But to me? after thinking about it,nothing beats my dad's (luv ya pop I miss ya!) Apple wood smoked Red horse in brown sugar and Worchestier brine.