• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crock Pot Cookin!

hoggs222

hoggs222 you need to go out and get the Fix-it and Forget-it cookbook. There are lots of recipes and my personal favorite is the Piquant French Dip.

Piquant French Dip

make 8 servings

3-lb chuck roast

2 cups water

1/2 cup soy sauce

1 tsp dried rosemary

1 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp garlic powder

1 bay leaf

3-4 peppercorns (I put in 10-15)

8 french rolls

1. Place roast in slow cooker. Add water ,soy sauce and seasonings.

2. Cover. Cook on high 5-6 hours, or until beef is tender.

3. Remove beef from broth. Shred with fork. Keep warm.

4. Strain broth. Skim fat. Pour broth into small cup for dipping. Serve beef on rolls.

Note: If you have leftover broth, freeze it to use later for gravy or as a soup base.

Italian Moose Roast Sandwiches

1 (4 pound) moose roast (or any type venison)

10 cloves garlic

10 cubes beef bouillon

1 (16 ounce) jar sliced pepperoncini peppers, with liquid

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian salad dressing mix

12 (6 inch) hard-crusted French rolls

Cut 20 small, deep slits all over the roast; stuff the slits with garlic and bouillon cubes, and place into a slow cooker. Drain half of the liquid from the peppers, then pour the remaining peppers and liquid over the roast. Season with Worcestershire sauce, and sprinkle the Italian dressing mix over everything.

Cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours until the meat can easily be pulled apart. Shred the meat finely, and serve piled high on French rolls; dip into juices if desired.

Sometimes I'll add a slice of provolone on my sandwiches.

Beef Stroganoff

1 pound cubed beef stew meat (or any wild game)

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 cup water

1 package fresh mushrooms

4 ounces cream cheese

In a slow cooker, combine the meat, soup, onion, Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms and water.

Cook on Low setting for 8 hours, or on High setting for about 5 hours. Stir in cream cheese just before serving.

CROCK POT APPLE CRISP

6 cups apples, peeled & sliced

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons quick cooking oats

1/2 cup cold butter or margarine

1 (3.5 oz.) package cook & serve butterscotch pudding mix

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Spray crock pot with Pam and put in apples. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, oats, pudding mix, and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the apples. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours or until apples are tender.

Quote:
Piquant French Dip

make 8 servings

3-lb chuck roast

2 cups water

1/2 cup soy sauce

1 tsp dried rosemary

1 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp garlic powder

1 bay leaf

3-4 peppercorns (I put in 10-15)

8 french rolls

Finally tried this one last night, we've been meaning to for a while. Used venison instead of beef and beef broth instead of water, melted mozzarella on the rolls - It was fantastic!! Definitely a keeper and the left overs are looking good for lunch today.

Italian Moose Roast Sandwiches

1 (4 pound) moose roast (or any type venison)

10 cloves garlic

10 cubes beef bouillon

1 (16 ounce) jar sliced pepperoncini peppers, with liquid

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian salad dressing mix

12 (6 inch) hard-crusted French rolls

Cut 20 small, deep slits all over the roast; stuff the slits with garlic and bouillon cubes, and place into a slow cooker. Drain half of the liquid from the peppers, then pour the remaining peppers and liquid over the roast. Season with Worcestershire sauce, and sprinkle the Italian dressing mix over everything.

Cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours until the meat can easily be pulled apart. Shred the meat finely, and serve piled high on French rolls; dip into juices if desired.

Sometimes I'll add a slice of provolone on my sandwiches.

Made this one this weekend. Absolutely fantastic. Could have used more peppers for the amount of meat I used.

You can also try your standard pulled pork sandwiches using the crock pot.

Just let a pork roast simmer for the day with the right amount of liquid. The fun part is experimenting with the bbq sauce. I don't like to use the stuff right out of the bottle. I'll use it as a starting point sometimes but I like to adjust it to find some new flavors. I just play with it until I think tastes good, everytime its something different. Problem is its hard to reproduce the next time becuase I can never remember what I put into it.

I made pulled pork the next day. Smoked it for about 2 hours, threw it on the grill for about 30 mins to brown it, and then in the crock pot for 14 hours. Used onion soup mix, a variety of spices, a bunch of onions, root beer, apple juice, a touch of vinegar, and some off the shelf bbq sauce. This was excellent as well.

LRG, Glad you liked it.

It's my mom's recipe that everyone loved last year at deer camp. I don't know where she got it, but I've seen it since on a couple of different websites. I think the amount of peppers in any recipe is up to the user...I use a little more myself! wink

hoggs222, Do you have a 'Barnes and Noble' bookstore nearby?? They have a Crock Pot Cookbook that's GREAT!! If you're looking for ideas, just page through it, If it impresses you, put it in your library. Phred52

I made some goose breasts in the pot yesterday......Put them in the pot,added a can of Pepsi and a capfull of liquid smoke.Cooked on high for 4-5 hours.Shredded it,put on a bun with Sweet Baby Rays.

delcecchi, The Library's a good suggestion! I was refering to the 'Better Homes and Gardens: Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes'. 416 pages for about $18. I had to go and get it out of the rack. Been since last spring that I looked at it. Phred52