• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2008 Fall Sturgeon Season

DTro

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Did you eat the eel? They're supposed to be good according to the internet, but I have yet to hear from an FMer that they're good smile

Nope, it was released back to the depths of the croix. It didn't seem to happy to be in the boat with us either. Riverhog thought the thing wanted to attack him. grin Got a couple pics of it slithering around in the boat and tossed him overboard.

Did you eat the eel? They're supposed to be good according to the internet, but I have yet to hear from an FMer that they're good smile

Eel is by far my favorite sushi dish, just absolutely delicious.

The meat is super-tender, just melts in your mouth.

Quote:

Nope, it was released back to the depths of the croix. It didn't seem to happy to be in the boat with us either. Riverhog thought the thing wanted to attack him. grin Got a couple pics of it slithering around in the boat and tossed him overboard.

You let it in your boat? I usually hang them over the side of the boat and try to take the hook out, or cut my line! I just hate it when you grab them and they wrap themselves up around your arm eek

Myself and a few others I know would love to put an eel in the boat! I'd love to see your pictures and if anyone has any tips or specifics on how you get them, please post or email ([email protected]).

We were out the other night and couldn't keep the sturgeon and cats off our lines, so the eels never had a chance to bite. wink

Since I've never seen one up close, I got to ask...can you net them, or do they slip through (my sturgeon net has pretty big mesh). Also, did you use a whole shad or less? Man, I can't wait to catch one!

Here's one Jim H caught last year.

Rumor has it that he might have tried to eat it, but it's turned into quite the story and I'm sure some of the details would be lost in translation grin

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

Steve D was kind enough to take Darren, John, and I out last night. While some people who will remain unnamed did get skunked, I personally had a 'hot stick'. And by 'hot stick', I mean a single small flathead nibbled just enough to hook himself while I was dicing up a sheepshead for cutbait.

To sum up the night, we had that flathead (my first in 5 and a half weeks!), a couple hand sized sheepshead, some minor turrets mode while the twins lost another close game, and a great night of calm-water, comfy-boat socializing smile

Steve, that's a sweet rig you have there. Thanks for taking us out. I owe ya a trip. It was good to meet you!

Thanks, Brian. It was a fun night even though the fish didn't cooperate. The only way my Bride would let me go fishing was if I had adult supervision. I guess you three added up equal about one qualified adult. Just Kidding.

If you are going to get skunked it better with some good company. The Twins let me down but you guys made the night enjoyable. We'll do it again.

Steve

Pretty good time. I fell asleep on the way back to the marina. That is one comfortable fishing machine.

Was pretty tired all night and the fish seemed pretty tired as well.

Now that I got the motor on my boat running good again.....I'll be out there again very soon.

Well I just realized that there is a Sturgeon season on the river in my hometown that runs until the end of September. Who knew? I had to see my parents anyway so I had a few hours on Saturday to give it a try. I knew I was in the right spot when I saw a lineup of about 25 long cat rods in holders along the shore. The river was pretty low, a guy got his Lund stuck and hopped out to push it free after a 40 minute struggle. I only managed a small channel cat for my time but as I walked back to the parking area I at least got to see one. I think I will be back before the end of the month. Pretty exciting waiting for a bite.

Well, the cool weather seems to have jump started the sturgeon bite. WWG and I spent a few hours out there last night and ended up with 11 fish. Most fish were in the 30’s, with a few bigger fish. Biggest was 52”. We were getting them on both crawlers and fatheads, but we did switch over to fatheads only and that kept the pesky drum at bay. Thanks again for dragging me along John.

005.jpg

008.jpg