• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will MN ever allow 2 rods in open water??

goose89

I think that two lines should be leagle on open water whats the big deal you have limits on fish anyways so whats the differecne. its like the ten oclock rule on Mille Lacs there is a size restriction and smaller limits so why have it. Sorry thats for another post.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said before, it's a fishing license, but they don't want everybody to actually catch much.

The dept of tourism brags up the fishing in MN, but the DNR restricts our success.

I guess they feel it's ok to spend lots of money to travel the state in search of fish as long as we don't catch them.

I would like to be able to cast another line while bobber fishing. What's the harm in that?

Repeat after me: a limit is a limit is a limit.. period.

Perhaps it's just a matter of catching a limit easier. With 2 lines, it would be easier to catch your limit more often and in a shorter period of time. I think the whole idea of sport fishing is to have some limits on success. It is, afterall, a limited resource. I guarantee that if we were all able to have unlimited success for awhile, the MN fishery we all know and love would deteriorate rapidly. It comes down to catching vs. keeping. Again, it seems we're back to the Minnesota Mentality of fishing to sustain yourself. Sorry to say this and I really don't hope I offend too many of my fellow anglers on here, but it seems rather apparent to me...

-Gregg B.

I guarantee that if we were all able to have unlimited success for awhile, the MN fishery we all know and love would deteriorate rapidly.

-Gregg B.

and I will guarantee back that 2 lines won't even come close to giving unlimited success.

Well, of course not... that was hypothetically speaking. But theoretically it would do what I said:

With 2 lines, it would be easier to catch your limit more often and in a shorter period of time.

I don't care what you say, fishing with 2 or more individual lines makes it more difficult to give the proper attention to ethical fishing. I live near the Minnesota/Iowa border and have taken advantage of the 1 week earlier border lakes opener for years. Of course at this time of year the water is cold so, slow fishing (i.e. slip bobber fishing with live bait) is the method of choice. We have been fortunite enough in recent years to hit a pretty consistant bite. 2 lines are leagal on Minnesota/Iowa border lakes so I've seen it done and have done it myself in the past. The problem is that I see alot of fish killed because of swollowed hooks and the like due to inattentiveness caused by the distraction of maintaining 2 rigs per man. Some people can handle it just fine, but most can't, and some won't admit that they can't. Thats why I think it needs to stay at 1 line. I personally use only one rod to insure the fish have my UNDIVIDED attention.

The reason for sportsman to want a regulation change shouldn't be to make it easier for them to "catch a limit". Thank goodness catching a limit and bringing home 6 fish every time you go fishing isn't evey Minnesota fisherman's obsession. If it stays this way my kids might actually be able to enjoy Minnesota's precious fishing resourse!

Thank goodness catching a limit and bringing home 6 fish every time you go fishing isn't evey Minnesota fisherman's obsession.

Heck... I challenge this! I belive the percentage of fisherman in Minnesota always looking to bring home a limit is alot higher than you think.

Personally, I can go either way on which way the law goes. Myself, I would likely never use two lines at the same time even if it were legal... I like to focus my attention on one line.

Originally Posted By: steffanf
I guarantee that if we were all able to have unlimited success for awhile, the MN fishery we all know and love would deteriorate rapidly.

-Gregg B.

and I will guarantee back that 2 lines won't even come close to giving unlimited success.

How many states have to lines? Quite a few and have had them for years and their recources are just fine. 2 lines aren't going to change anything. If you are out there to catch a limit, you will stay till you do. I was on the Croix today with three two others and six rods. Didn't even get on walleye, muchless a limit. I've been out when the fishing was good, but I've never been "Guarenteed" a limit. Most of the time you won't get a limit.

As far as folks that go out to bring a limit, that's their poragative. I really get tired of hearing all the high and mighty "Sportsman" bashing everyone that likes to keep fish. If you only practice C&R that's up to you and that's great. I do a selective harvest and keep fish when I want. I enjoy eating them. As long as you are legally keeping your limit, then do as you want.

just because you could use 2 lines doest mean you'll catch more fish. If the limit on sunfish is 20 then it doesnt matter if you catch 20 sunfish on 1 line or 10 lines the limit is still 20.

it is no differnt than fishing two lines in the winter you still have limits to follow.

How about allowing 2 rods only while trolling?? I can see a potential increase in mortality if bobber fishing, esp. for panfish, or lindy rigging / deadsticking, where a fish has a better chance of getting gullet hooked.

I'd like to be able to use 2 rods for trolling. Mostly with cranks, but also spinner rigs. I don't keep many walleyes over a season, even when only allowed 1 rod. I also don't kill many, if any, trolling w/ crankbaits or spinner rigs as hooks are set immediately. I agree w/ others that fishing two rods, in many instances, is conter-productive and way less fun. But trolling is /would be way more fun / enjoyable if 2 rods were allowed, IMO.

Would this be possibility, or just create alot of confusion and the inevitable "grey area" of what's trolling and what's not trolling. I know what is would be to me, but not sure we'd all see it the same.

That's not how the limits are set!

How are the limits set?

I'd like to know because the DNR has admitted themselves they aren't quite sure how the limits were set DECADES AGO.

Of course more lines will mean more fish harvested and possible or likely bag limit changes.

I'll never agree with that. I have fished two lines my whole life. I don't see limits caught all the time. It's just not going to happen. And what's the difference in ice and open water? Why the rule change?

Think about it... if you are offering more than one presentation in the same amount of time, you have a better chance of hooking a fish. Say you were going to fish for a few hours one evening. You start out using just leeches. After a couple hours of not catching anything, you switch out to minnows. After the switch you catch 2 fish over the next hour. Well, if you started using minnows from the start, you had a good chance of catching more fish... possibly reaching the limit. The same idea applies if you were using two poles... one with a leech, the other with a minnow. There are other factors involved than just the bait, of course, and it is more complicated than this. All other things equal, my point stands that you have a better chance of bringing home more fish for a given amount of time out on the water if you are using two poles. In my example, this would mean a chance at 3+ fish as opposed to just 2 fish.

Please don't flame me too much... I'm just pointing out what seems pretty obvious to me. Personally, I don't really care either way. If the law changes to 2-poles, so be it. No matter to me... I'm just fine usuing just one pole at a time.

Sandmannd: As an aside, I do like eating fish too. Walleye are great. Some panfish are even better. However, some people that go out and fish on average once a week and have a limit in their posession all the time must be constantly eating fish... probably at least a couple times a week, I would guess. I think I would get sick of eating anything so frequently... be it fish, steak or whatever. I'm not "looking down" on those that keep fish for the table. I just look at fish as a resource: first as a sport and second as sustainance. It is called sport-fishing... no? Eh, it's a pasttime... don't want to offend anyone here.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
That's not how the limits are set!

How are the limits set?

I'd like to know because the DNR has admitted themselves they aren't quite sure how the limits were set DECADES AGO.

Among other things creel surveys..... they certainly are not set on every angler catching a limit so the "limit is a limit excuse" is bogus to say the least, more fish will be harvested it may have minimal effect over all and the limits may stay the same but I doubt it.

I'm not really for or against 2 lines, personally I don't care either way but if you don't think catch rates and some mortality will increase with 2 lines "EXCEPT SANDMANS BOAT" there is nothing I can do for ya!. grin

Yea, i hate the pot being stirred too. wink

I would be just fine with trolling only with 2 lines.

I mean if they are biting where your "Going to get your limit" then one rod is enought, and if it's slow, "Like in Sandmannd's boat", then 2 lines wont make a blade of grass grow any faster. grin

A limit is a limit , is a limit , is a limit , is a limit , is a limit.

I thought i heard that somewhere before.

I gotta totally agree with PierBridge. More fish would be harvested, and the DNR MAY have to drop limits in the future because of increased harvest. If an extra line will get people an extra fish or two (even if under their limit) then more fish are harvested. The limit-is-a-limit mentality is bogus.

I gotta totally agree with PierBridge. More fish would be harvested, and the DNR MAY have to drop limits in the future because of increased harvest. If an extra line will get people an extra fish or two (even if under their limit) then more fish are harvested. The limit-is-a-limit mentality is bogus.

Let me as this: How long have they had the one rod rule? If it's so effective in keeping our resources for others what the heck happened to metro lakes? confused I mean, you don't get a limit with only one rod do you?

In honesty, it's the fish you keep that kill the resource. I won't keep an eye over 20" off the river. The big ones are let go to breed. I don't keep small or large panfish, the mediums are tasty too. I do eat fish pretty often, at least once a week if not twice. Most times I make it up and have leftovers for lunch for a couple of day. Love it and can't get enough of it. But I don't need limits to keep me fed with fish. I'm just saying, it's not going to do a think to the resources IMO, it's the ignorant that kill off the resource not the amount of rods you use. The ones that take three 2 year olds out in the boat with them so they can have extra limits. Fishing out of season, heck some use two lines anyway. Fished with a guy on the ice that put a tip up out and two lines in the house. I gave him a dirty look and he just didn't get it. I don't fish with him after that as I cranked up one of my rods to be legal.

Personally I really don't care what happens with the law, because I will always fish with one line in the water. I have seen too many fish "bleed-out" from a poor hook-set, and I think that having an extra line in the water would only double the chances of killing a fish that could have otherwise swam to fight again another day.

(IMO) If you can not properly handle two fishing rods in a boat (anymore than one), you have no business operating a boat on the water. Hook mortality and all!

If they do legalize the use of the “Bonus Rod” in MN, I do not see it increasing the likely hood of getting the fish to bite anymore than they do with one rod. If they are not their, they do not bite.

I am 99.9% catch and release all year. I have become a 100% release in the summer. Sure, some fish get deep hooked, but far and few between (at least for cats) for me. Am I model of the regular MN angler? Maybe or maybe not, but I see my scenario becoming more and more popular. I contribute it to our generation.

“Lazy” (for a lack of better words) is becoming more and more apparent. I will spend hours and hours rigging my self (boat or shack) and the last thing I want to do when I get home after fishing, putting the boat away and cleaning up for bed is to clean fish. Maybe a crude view point for catch and release, but it is what has pretty much gotten me to a full catch and release format. The thrill of dragging my limit catch or a trophy to the local bait shop, mod, dad, grandpa, grandma, buddies, wife or kids has been replaced by the carrying and use of the digital camera while fishing. I can snap shots while fishing, e-mail the images to the bait store owner and friends or show my family on the computer.

I am seeing this trend really start to take hold with my fishing buddies and others I have run into. Sure, there are still going to be anglers catching their limit when ever they can, but I feel this type of angling is falling into the “Old School” side. I still encourage people to go out to catch and keep fish if they want, but modern times of having everything right down the road at the local Cub store is starting to wear on the mind sets of most people. For the most part what drives most of us to pursue fishing or hunting like we do is tradition and what we where taught. But over the years, things have gotten tweaked a little from the days where fishing meant fest or famine. For instance, I can not remember a trip with my kids where I have kept a fish we caught. This will translate into how they will fish if they decide to fish when they get older.

I think the MN anglers (for the major most part) are some of the worlds more conservation mined fisherman. After all, I do think MN is a major model for the sport of fishing in general (short of deep sea) and others do look to this state for advice in their affairs.

I think this state can handle giving an extra line to it’s anglers.

Just my 10:30pm Sunday night ramblings. I forgive all who are offended grin

Now now, shackbass I'm not good at handling two rods at ounce. That is why I chose to fish with one very well. So in your eyes me knowing my limitations and being responsible not exceeding them I don't get the right to operate and fish out of my boat.

Just doing some chop busting grin

My opinion is go for the two lines. Dont matter to much to me the body of water I fish two lines is allowable and I still elect one line, except Ice fishing.