• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite rigs for eye's?

i enjoy all methods! Not very fond of jigging, (however i have found myself jigging more than ever this season with reliable results). But mostly when I can find the opportunity to catch them casting cranks that's the BEST!

Rigging with long snells plain hooks & beads on Mille Lacs. Or spinners on Mille lacs. Jigs in deep water in Fall are hard to beat during the day.

Trolling cranks in the eve in Fall is dynamite!!!!

Slip bobbers have their place when their is a wind on rocky reefs. And night fishing with lighted bobbers and glow jigs as well.

Don't get caught up in trying and staying with one presentation. Walleyes moods change. If nothing on plain rigs, change colors beads, or try spinners.

Keep an open mind. Sooner or later you will find out what they want.

I love jigging with fatheads or Gulp minnows and both have been productive for me this summer. Sometimes I like to slip sinker rig with a red hook or floating jig head. If I troll I use a slip sinker rig with a few beads and a yellow spinner blade.

Right, I am along the same lines of PJ, and I have subscriped to the TO walleye theory and sure love my crankbaits. I would have to flip flow casting jigs and trolling cranks as far as favorites go, but thats because it's august, in May it would be the other was around...

For you guys that love the crankbaits, fill me in on the process that's producing for you. I fish the East Central lakes quite a bit (Forest, Clear, Green, Rush, WI Lakes, etc.) and have always produced best with jigs or rigs. Up in Canada I've always produced best with Raps. Crankbaits are awesome when they work, but what's the key on these central MN lakes? What time of day are you using them? Which ones work best? (Shads, FireTiger Color, Tail Dancer, etc.) What depths and structure are you working? I tend to work tight transitions in the 12 to 20 feet of water ranges. If you troll, what speeds are you finding work best?

Maybe I should start a new thread?

Alot depends on what type of bottom structure you are fishing and the time of the day.

If it's weeds, on a clear day, no wind troll cranks on the edge of the

weedline. If you have a cloudy day and wind, go shallow and troll over the tops of the weeds.

You are on with colors, clown , firetiger, perch, rainbow, tenn. shad. gold/black. The chrome colors also work well. If you are fishing 20 ft. give tail dancers a try.

If there is a good wind and you can find a rock reef that tops off in shallow water , give that a try also. Work the top, and edges. You can cast on the top of the reefs , or long line them with shallow runners.

Speeds, 2mph. or maybe slower. Sometimes power trolling at a faster speed triggers fish on a calm day.

Use Shad Raps, Husky jerk-baits, Tail Dancers.

The Presision trolling guide contains a ton of info as far as how much line to let out for certain cranks.

Good luck!!!!

Jig or bouncer and spinners.

yep jig with frozen shiner on LOTW/ rainy River. bottom bouncer with minnow spinner or crawler harness. was hoping to do some crankbaits but too expensive and having good luck with spinners and BB

All I fish with in Canada are Jigs but when up at the cabin fishing with the kids it is with cranks. Maybe in a few years when they get some patience and a better hook set we will switch to jigs or live bait rigs.

I'm with PJ and TO, casting cranks, casting jigs, trolling cranks then live bait rigging and after that slip bobbing. Fuzzbient, Flake has a really decent crankbait bite right through till fall. Spring is a shallow slow retrieve, summer ripping rattle raps works well and slow rolling deeper billed baits like deep husky jerk-baits, wally divers in cd12, #9 shad raps along the deeper edges and fall right back to the shallows with the regular husky jerk-baits and countdowns or #5 shad raps. Green will produce with similar results with these cranks as well as Chisago. I haven't fished Rush.

Tunrevir~

I've always been a crankbait guy. I don't think you catch as many fish, but the ones you catch are bigger. About the only time I'll resort to jigging, rigging or live bait in general is if I can't getm' to go on cranks. The only real exception is very early cold water or if I'm fishin' through the ice, Then I'll stick with a jig and minnow or jiggin' spoon and minnow head.