• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2nd Annual Burntside Bash

Surface Tension

He guys - I'll be in Ely at 3:30 p.m. (next Friday0 and ready to work or play grin.gif.

Do you want me to head out to HQ to help with anything?

Chunky - do you ever check your email???

[This message has been edited by Dr. Bob (edited 01-22-2004).]

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got done signing up. Looks like my usual crew is tied up but I'm coming anyway. STF - are you guys camping Friday night too? I'm gonna try to hit town before 5 pm. Looking forward to meeting y'all.

------------------
Old Fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

PRO-V:

That's the plan. We're optimistic we'll have a nice wall tent to sleep S.T., me, Reefraker and Chunky, but there are still a few details to work out. And in looks like we'll also have big carport tent (four sides) to break the wind and act as the HQ/weigh-in tent. That one is supposed to come up on Friday, too.

See you there! grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

FYI -

I cancelled my reservation for the Paddle Inn for Saturday night because I am staying with Nels and Dare Devil Dan.

So I think there might still be a room open there if anyone needs it.

Granny and anyone,

This was discussed earlier, but not fine tuned.
Benice to hook up with folk Friday evening for eats and "treats"?

If not , might have to head over to the lake to
spud everyone off the ice!lol

Jim W

Jim,
Sounds like a few guys were talking about meeting at the Grand Ely Lodge for a burger and a Bud. I think thats what we are going to do. We should be up there around 8-8:30 Friday night.

You guys have no idea how much I want to join you for the big bash. Troutin’ up there through the ice is pretty much one of favorite things in the world to do. I can’t imagine how much fun it would be to do it with a bunch like you. I have been following this thread religiously since it started. Regrettably I am not going to be able to make it up there. Which absolutely sucks…

That being said, I am going to be living vicariously through you guys for the next 10 days or so. Ice a bunch of lakers, enjoy the chow and beverages, and above all (and obviously) have fun! Post plenty of pics. You have no clue how envious I am….

Hopefully, if all works out I can get up there in the beginning of March for season ending troutin'.

Good luck,

HB

Gentlemen,
I wish I could join you next weekend at the BASH, but I'l lbe in Jamaica soaking up the rays. I will be there next year FOR SURE!! I wish all a good time and hope for many fish to be caught!!! Later

outdoor nut I had to order mine from McKenzie maps, its a great map I don't know if they can send you one by Fri. I have togo out of town today I wont be back till Wed I dont know if I will have time to get some coppied. Its a pretty big map I could maybe scan it or send it to you in two or three pages. [email protected] it wont be till tue or wed though I have to go. Nels

Easiest Burntside map to get is the blue/white book put out by Sportsmans Connection. The books are in all the stores, and there's one for St. Louis County that includes Burntside. Not just maps, but fishing spots and lake and stocking/sampling data, too. Book is spendier than a map (books run from $20 to $25), but they have most any lake you'll want to fish in St. L. Cty.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

PRO-V:

You're probably talking about the hard plastic waterproof maps. They're good, too, but it's better to get a map before you leave than depend on getting one here.

When you run out of things at the "end of the road," you're OUT. grin.gif Same thing with bait. Coupla bait shops in town that are open are Lucky 7 and Skube's, but with the rush coming this weekend, I'd get whatever bait you think you'll need in Duluth.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

STF, what do you recommend for bait? Big shiners, light pike suckers or both? Also, I plan on meeting you guys at HQ by 5 pm Friday, maybe sooner. Are you planning on going to town for burgers, Bud and talk?

------------------
Old Fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

PRO-V:

We're not planning on going anywhere off the ice. We got the tent, the stove, the fellowship, the bunks, the carports, why spend lots of $ at an Ely bar when I spend enough money on refreshments there anyway?

As for bait, I tip my jigging lures with any minnow head available. Fatheads, rainbows, doesn't matter. Also, cisco strips work as well as minnow heads on jigging lures. (And if you ask me privately at the bash I'll tell you something about tipping lures that most guys will pooh-pooh, but I belive and has been borne out in my experience.)

As for tip-ups, some guys use dead frozen cisco on them, but I prefer live golden shiners fished on a bare hook half-way down the water column over 50 feet or so of water. Last year I made four or five trips on B-side for lakers, and I limited on all but one trip. On the trips I limited, I caught at least one laker on the tip-up. The only trip I didn't limit on was the Bash, and I quit fishing just after noon that day to, umm, imbibe in the fellowship. grin.gif

And I'm no professional laker angler, but if I've learned a few things.
1. Lakers never sleep. Well, they do sleep, but you never know for sure when that is. So every time you jig you may be drawing in a laker from outside your transducer cone, so keep it up.
2. Lakers love to CHASE! Make them run up to your lure. Make them wonder what the heck that lure is. Make them peed off. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-26-2004).]

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators
Deadline: Online Registration ends Thurday, 3pm - 1/29/04!

Burntside Laker Bash ICE Series Event Info:
When: 8am-2pm Sat. Jan 31st, 2004

Online Registration - CLICK HERE.

Beat the Deadline
Enter Now for only $10
$15 at the door.
Kids under 16 FREE
Secret Laker Spots Given Out by Surface Tension & Chunky Trout. - FREE

Online Registration - CLICK HERE.

Online Registrations End 3 pm Thursday 1/29/04.