• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2nd Annual Burntside Bash

Surface Tension

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice job on the map ST. I didn't see, though, where it showed anything about how to get to Buyck or Crane Lake after the festivities.

I guess you're relying on the Good Dr. for that info. grin.gif

I know most everyone will be Laker fishing, but if anyone is interested, you could also run a sled or ATV (depending on how much snow) directly from HQ up the Dead River for some nice Slabs in Twin Lakes.

(Right Twin as shown on the map. See little point on left about half way up and plant in 20 ft.)

[This message has been edited by Leaky (edited 12-22-2003).]

Your right, Steve. That was some fun. I haven't talked to Bob (the bartender - I like that, I think it's his new name from here on out). When I see him during opener, I'll make sure he knows whats going on in front of the Dead River.

I'm hoping to make this one, I have never fished Burntside so it should be an expierence. What lb line is good for this lake? having large pike and trout both its kind of a toss up between 8 and 10 lb.
Is it possible to drive vehicles out? Also great job on the map chunky someone should get these for all of the events they are very helpful.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

This Burntside Bash sounds fun. I will try to make it up. I usually trout fish in the summer with pretty good luck using ciscos in 75 feet of water. However, I have no idea how to catch a laker during ice season. Any tips as to depth and bait preferences? Thanks.

Perchman:

There are no motor restrictions on Burntside. No part of the lake is within the BWCAW (though some portions are very close) so none of the non-motorized regulations apply to the lake.

Bring motors, rev 'em up, drill 'em deep. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

I got a couple of reall dum questions to ask?
What kind of minnows do you use? Do you use shiners,smelt,ciso's?Do you guy's use tip up's,or do u jig for them? I hear the lakers put up on real nice fight.Is this true or not.This is all the dum questions I got.

Calling any question dumb is dumb. grin.gif

Others do it other ways, and they have great success. Here's how I do it.

Two holes, two lines.

One hole: Tip-up, with single hook, heavy split shot and live golden shiner hooked through the skin on the back. I use 20 lb mono and the large-capacity spool on the Polar HT tip-up. If I'm fishing, say, in 60 feet of water, I set the bait about half way down the water column. Lakers in winter will use the whole column, from the bottom to just under the ice. Dead cisco or smelt works good too. And some drop the bait to the bottom. Hole one is about 30 to 50 feet from my shelter.

Second hole: In the shelter, I have two holes, one for the Vex and one for jigging. Jigging lures I like are the No. 7 or No. 9 jigging Rap or the largest size Nils Master JIgger shad (yeah, I have a favorite pattern or two, but you're on your own on that one). I also will be using chubby darters this year. On my backup rod, to be alternated with if nothing's interested in the swimming lures (or to call 'em in with the big thump and rattle), will go a medium- or large-sized pimple or buckshot rattle spoon. Both lures are tipped with a strip of cisco or a minnow head (on the pimple or buckshot, which hook it obvious, since there's only one hook, while I tip the center treble on the raps and other glide lures.)

I fished Burntside four times last year with this combination, taking three limits (last year the inland laker limit was three; this year it's two) and two fish the other time out.

And there were three lakers from 8 to 12 pounds taken at last year's B-side bash. Two were taken on jigging spoons designed for walleyes, the other on a jigging Rap.

Biggest laker taken last winter on B-side (well, biggest fish REPORTED), was 17 lbs, though I don't know which lure. Divers report seeing lakers they estmitate at more than 30 lbs. shocked.gif

On the jigging rods I use 12 and 14 lb mono. I tie on a swivel (not the snap, too, just a barrel or ball-bearing swivel) and add about 3 feet of fluorocarbon leader before adding a black snap (not the swivel, just a cross-lock snap). The swivel prevents line twist, line twist that makes your lure spins while at rest (ever see a minnow sit and spin in one place? Nope? Doesn't see natural to you, so is it natural to the fish?). The fluoro gives me more confidence the line can't be seen in clear water (although MANY B-side lakers are iced by people who don't care about such niceties), and the snap gives lures more action than a knot, as well as making it easier to switch lures quickly. Black is harder to see in any water than silver or gold. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Also, the Bait Box in Superior on Hwy 2 east has them. That and Fisherman's Corner are both on your way if you're heading to the Burntside Bash.

Don't plan on finding any up here. While there are a couple places in town that handle bait in the winter, it isn't always easy to find cisco and smelt, so it's best to bring them with you.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

S.T.,
Are you going to bring your wind tip up a long?It might do you some good fishing for the big pike and lakers.This a just a sudjustion,you don't have to bring it if you don't want to.Shure will bring a lot of people over to ask questions.You know how the saying goes kearausty kills the cat.