• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2nd Annual Burntside Bash

Surface Tension

Question for those in charge. I think I'll be heading up for the Bash, bringing my dad (never fished a Laker b-4) and maybe another two guys (one who has experience and his friend that has very little Laker fishing) is there going to be a problem for us to fish together? (i.e. Myself and my dad & my buddy and his friend) I know there was talk about doing some pairing with those who have fished Lakers b-4 with someone that hasn't. I guess I'd like to fish with my dad, since we don't get to see/fish together that often anymore.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - You guys should go down to the Grand Ely Lodge on Shags, have a couple of cocktails, and convince Bob the Bartender to come out and join you for the festivities. I'm sure he'll be working that night.

I was just going to come up early Saturday morning but if there are going to be a few guys around to hang out with Friday night maybe I'll come up then. I only live about an hour away.

Mornin Guys! As far as goin out Friday night, I'm thinking I'll have my hands full setting up basecamp. But who knows? I just wanted to put a bug in everyones ear here to spread the word on this one. I got some posters going out and a little word of mouth never hurts so if you know some cool people that could make it, invite them up and make sure to tell them how to register or how to get to this site. Cheers!

chunk

Northlander:

You can go to the timberjay's Web site, which is the usual three letters, followed by a period, followed by the word timberjay, followed by dot com.

It's not up on the site yet. I just checked. It may not be put on the site. I don't control that, I just file a bunch of stuff for the Web site and the publisher decides what goes on.

There's nothing in it you don't already know anyway. It's just a story quoting no one but full of all the details on where, when, how much, etc., that can be found on this very thread and at www.iceleaders.com.

As for early registration deadline, I don't know when that is. Try the iceleaders link to see if a deadline is listed.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-09-2004).]

On page 2 of this thread is a great map put up by Surface Tension on where the Meeting tent will be located. With the temps we have had (and those that are coming next week) driving on the ice should be fine.
I will be on the lake next weekend with Chunky and will report ice thickness in various areas the following week.
There are alot of previous threads on this forum talking about baits etc, i think if you do a search on "laker" or even "trout" you will find some very useful info.
If you have more ?'s ask them, we'll try to help. I'm no laker veteran, but love to fish them, and last years bash was a blast grin.gif
The main forage in the lake is smelt, so anything that imitates them (tubes, bucktails, raps, or shiners on a tipup) can work along with alot of other stuff.
Personally, i usally fish in 50' and less, and find that many fish come thru suspended.
I say there is no better game than to work a laker up thru the water column on the vex, watching the thick red line follow the thin green line up til the hookup (or not)!
Looking forward to seeing you all out there smile.gif
Xplorer

Lets start with gear. I use a med heavy rod. This would be something thats not too much rod for 3 lber's but enough rod for 30 lbers. I like bait-casters. The Penn 920 and the Garcia 5500 CL3 are good examples.
You usually won't be fishing over 50 FOW and I like 10 lb for the lures I use and feel it gives me good fish ability. If I'm in a heated shack I like the braids also.
I like setting up on or near structure.
I mid lake hump or along a steep wall. I like walls because Trout use them to trap bait fish.
When your fishing bottom and marking fish but reluctant to hit reel up 5 ft. Most times Lakers will follow and strike or just follow, reel in another 5ft, you play this game to the surface and then pull your bait out of the hole for a quick check. Lower back down about 8 ft while looking at your bait and wait for that laker to come in for a slam, she might engulf that lure or just slap it with her tail. Don't lower the lure any farther just jig it where it at and keep looking and be ready to set the hook.
As I described lakers use the whole water column so don't just fish the bottom. When a suspended laker comes in it comes fast and hard, don't get caught sleeping. Sound like fun?
Swedish Pimples and Jigging Raps are a must. Tip them with a minnow head or cut cisco.

You can use 2 lines. Either a tip-up on the bottom or suspended. Cisco's, smelt, or live shiners work. Or a second line in your shack with shiners. You don't have the benefit of being spread out but you can pick up lakers you've attacked by jigging but didn't hit.
Theres been great deal posted on Lakers though the ice. Use the search and if theres something you can't find just ask.

Yep, ST aint kidding about suspended. My 10# and my buddy Chris's 14# came in hot and heavy 2-3 feet under the ice in 60FOW. Hit like a locomotive and ran like one too. STFCatfish told me a guide on Trout Lake (name escapes) had one spool 17LB clean off his Garcia. OOOHHH watch the bearings smoke! See ya here!

chunky

Surface tension,
It sounds like you and chunky trout have every thing under control.As the old saying
goes never hurts to ask.Looking forward to catching come lakers.All I will be bringing with me is my tip ups, the fishing poles I got are just a bit to small and light to fish with.All they are a medoum action grafited walleys rods.A bit to light do you think?

Little Perch Med action rods in about 30-34" will be fine. Most fish will be 2-8# with a few over 12#. Spool up with 10# mono or fireline with a shocker and you will do fine. Get some jigging raps, tubes in white and jigging spoons and you will be set. On tip ups run 35# tip up line to a swivel and a 6' leader of 10# Vanish with a #2 hook and a golden shiner or big shiner and your in like flyn. Dont be afraid to lose one and enjoy the fight.