• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2nd Annual Burntside Bash

Surface Tension

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bash and Ice event are going on at the same time. Last year it was just the bash.

The bash is Saturday/Sunday, the Ice event is Saturday only. You can sign up for the Ice event for lakers/pike and not participate in the bash, and you can come to the bash and not participate in the Ice event.

But it would be great to get as many people in the Ice event as possible. It's only $10 in advance (www.iceleaders.com) or $15 the day of the event. And the entry fee gets you in the running for prizes (to be announced soon, I hope grin.gif).

At the moment, we're working on a plan to pair laker rookies with more experienced people. That would still mean competing as individuals, not teams, but would offer a chance to pass around a little knowledge, and (hopefully) give more people a better shot at fish. Not quite sure if we can make that work (partly it depends on whether we get enough people with winter laker experience involved), but we're working on it.

The bash is free. There will be grills and some community food, but the food will be very limited and it's far better to BYO food/beer/drinks.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

You got the dates right LP. I'll be there Saturday morning by the looks of it. And will leave Sunday afternoon unless it is 20 below and windy like last year, then I may leave a little earlier.

I am going to be running and gunning on Saturday morning with Xplorer. We are going by snowmachines with portables and will be checking out the North Arm along with some choice spots along the way.

I'll be at the party on Saturday afternoon.

The Burntside Bash is a mini Ice leaders event also. I'd like to encourage every one to get registered ahead of time so we get an idea how many people we have.
Your entry fee will entitle you to my Famous Fire Hole Chili to accompany your grill ables. We'll have paper plates, bowls, utensil along with condiments for you. You'll also be competing for the Worlds Greatest Fishermen title and awarded a trophy. If that isn't enough we have some great prizes to be raffled off. I can't say what they are till I get an absolute for sure but you'll be impressed. I'm going to post them ASAP.
We are using the same rules as the Ice Leaders Event with these amendments.
Species are Lake Trout and Pike.
Only one fish per species may entered.
All fish Must be weighed in by 2 PM.
We'll be meeting at the the HQ at 7 AM
Contest starts at 8 AM.

I have another question. I was looking at a map of Burntside and saw that it is over 7,000 acres...I have fished it in the summer once before and did not realize it is so large! I use a portable shelter and normally walk it out to where I am going, or if the ice is really thick I will drive my Jeep out. I do not yet have a snowmobile or ATV (maybe someday). Is Burntside usually drive-able in the winter? I've seen some lakes where people actually plow roads. Thanks for any info.

Zappy:

Burntside is almost always driveable by laker opener in two weeks, let alone the end of the month for the Burntside bash. Last year, and most years, there are plowed ice roads from the Passi Road and Van Vac Road accesses. You can reach the bash from either, although the Passi Road access is much, much closer (1/2 mile drive, or so).

Last year there was so little snow that you didn't even need four wheel drive until the end of February, and then barely.

So fear not. Barring a nasty acceleration of global warming, you'll be driving on B-side for the bash.

And the next week is expected to show lows of -15 to -20 and highs of -9 to zero. Now that's making ice, especially since there isn't too much snow on top.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-03-2004).]

Stfcatfish,
I hope you plain to bring lots of barly pop and wiskey,all the snowbunnies you can catch.
I will be up there chaseing snowbunnies&lakers all over the lake that day and drinking wiskey. grin.gif On the more suroius note I know to bring tip up's with.Will reglar black tip up ice line work(not that platice stuff neathere)the stuff feels like string.I
plain to put 25 to 30 pound leaders on that you get at a bait shop.Will these leaders work?

little perch What ever line you use on your tip-up wont matter as much as your leader. Use a mono leader or one of the low vis lines. You'll pull hooks loose before you break off 20lb. and you stand better chance of your hands being shredded as a big laker takes a run while your trying to slow him down. Ya its not kid stuff and we all would love a skin tearing laker on a tip-up. That being said I use 14lb mono.

Stfcatfish,
I went to look for those low visable leaders and momon could not find them? Where does a person got to find them? Lookes at scheelds here in Eau Claire and they don't have them or I did not see them there.I hope you can steer me in the right deriction,where to find them

Little Perch,
You can just use regular 15-20# monofilament line for your leader on the tipup. Consider tying a plain swivel to the end of the tipup line you have on, then attach a 4-6 foot leader of the mono.
If ya really want to get high tech, you can look for flourocarbon line for the leader. Scheels has small spools of this, just ask a rep.
Chunky, I'll be sending ya a email soon to work out particulars for opener. Is there a usable access near Burntside Lodge? The DNR site lists one there, and that would be alot shorter for me, i could park there and ride the sled to where your at. Or is there anywhere else i could "park and ride" from that side? Gotta like these temps for makin ice, looks downright chilly up there this AM smile.gifsmile.gif
Xplorer

PS: Little Perch, hope your father is doing better, give himn our best.

[This message has been edited by Xplorer (edited 01-05-2004).]

Dudes and dudettes:

They're driving on Burntside now. A local doc has been driving his full-sized 4X4 pickup (complete with plow) off the Van Vac access and onto one of the two large main bays. There was 8-10 inches of good clear ice over Christmas weekend, and now it's certainly over 12 and probably more like 14.

Of course, if he happens to put his pickup through and come up out of the water numb with cold, we can say: "Physician, feel thyself." Get it, get it? Huh? grin.gif

The big bays were open when we got that big dump of snow around Thanksgiving. The main bays froze over on or around Dec. 2. So there's very little snow on the ice. These -20 temps make my brow furrow with worry as I watch the fuel oil gage spin wildly toward zero (I'd rather spend money on ice fishing than fuel oil). But this harsh cold will be making approximately an inch of ice every 24 hours at these temps with that lack of snow cover.

Good news for B-side bashers! grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Hey Xplorer - I think the access you're looking at is on the Van Vac Road, pretty close to the lodge and very close to where I'll be. It'll be a lot closer for you go drop there and cruise across the lake to the Dead River vs driving up the Echo trail. If you have a map of Burntside, we'll be in a palace of a fish house on the very east end of Long Island. Can't miss it!

We'll get some emails going with Chunk as we get closer, to figure out a meet. I won't have a sled, but I'm sure I can hop on someone's and head over your way, or you guys can come over, warm up and have some lunch in the palace. We usually just throw a bunch of sausages & dogs in a pot and feed whoever comes visiting.

If you use a treble in Minnesota on a line that has no lure, you have to turn it into lure.

In other words, it's OK to use a Swedish Pimple or Jigging Rap with a treble, but if you tie a bare treble on your line and use it for live bait, you've broken the law. If you want to use a treble when it's not attached to a regular lure, add a couple of beads on the line above it or a very small spinner blade. You can get the beads and spinner blades (I use clear pink blades about the size of your pinky-fingernail, available on the cheap in bulk at lots of bait stores).

Pike and lakers, not to mention 'eyes, for that matter, don't seem to be put off at all by the beads and/or spinner blade.

Hope that helps. grin.gifgrin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Well it looks like I found a way to get up there to the bash. It just happens to be that my wife is interested in a pair of Mukluks and the bash just happens to be in Ely that weekend grin.gif
HMMMMMMMM? Coincedense? I dont think so.

Let the fishing begin!!!!!!!!

Jar Jar

Jar Jar - Just think of all the good you'll be doing. Keeping the local economy going, keeping mama's feet warm in boots that wear like slippers, and best of all, the opportunity to go attack some lakers and meet some new fishing Buds.

It don't get much better than that grin.gif

Hey, a little unasked advice. Don't buy a pair of mukluks for yourself and then WEAR THEM TO AN FM GET-TOGETHER.

You'll get endless shnit, like I did the other weekend on Fish Lake. wink.gif No problem, somebody's gotta be the scapegoat, and Northlander's probably gotten tired of being the one everyone makes fun of. tongue.gif

I've never worn warmer boots. I've had boots AS warm, but these are more comfortable than any footwear I've ever had. grin.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Hey Steve, you wear those pads on your feet and the "Ivana Humpalot" hat and you ARE gonna take a little ribbing grin.gif
Leaky and chunky, thats what i was looking for. It looked alot shorter to dump the sled on the south shore, and not have to drive thru town. It the access easy to see, as i'll be pulling in "in the dark"? Are there those brown "public access" signs?
Next saturday cannot come fast enough smile.gif
Xplorer

PS: Jar Jar, good to see that you will make it, should be a great time!!

[This message has been edited by Xplorer (edited 01-07-2004).]

Chris - You'll take a left on Cty rd 88 (3 miles before Ely). It'll have a sign saying Burntside Lake. Go about 4 miles to Van Vac Road (Green Sign). Take a left and go about 2- 3 miles to Public Access sign on the right. It's a paved road that winds down to a pretty good sized parking lot. If no room in the lot, you should be able to park right on shore.

If you don't have a B-Side map, I'm sure you can get one at the gas station in Tower.