• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Full or Empty Fuel Tank?

LEECH21

You'll get lots of opinions here.

For boats with built in tanks, I fill them (36 gallon total) to the rim and add fuel stabilizer. Never had a problem.

I tried the empty tactic once and I had moisture build up inside the main tank throughout the winter. What a headache. Never again.

When I fill up in November before storage gas is cheaper than in May. wink

Full - add stabilizer to whatever you have left in the tank prior to your last outing for the year - you need to make sure you run the motor to get the stabilized gas through the engine. Then fill it up the rest of the way and add the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer.

marine_man

Empty. Even with stabilizer I don't have much faith in the quality of gas coming out of the pumps these days to let it sit all winter and then deal with a full tank of crummy gas for the first part of the following season.

If I know it's going to be my last trip out for the year I'll throw in a little Sta-bil so that it gets mixed up while out fishing for the day and then fill it with a full tank of fresh gas the following spring.

As said earlier, with plastic tanks it isn't like it used to be where it was almost a rule to fill up the metal tanks. Now you can really do either, but I prefer to start with fresh gas at the beginning of the season.

I used to always fill up and stabilize but my guy at the marina says run it down as low as possible and stabilize because of the poor quality of gas nowdays. To me it makes sense as who wants to run old gas in the spring even if it has been stabilized. It is still old gas.