• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boilerguy's misfit boat

I was at a cabin last weekend and the pontoon we were on did the same thing. I popped the top off.......and here comes my immense motor knowledge lingo........I adjusted (what I think) was the "screw" for the idle...I'm sure you thought of that, but the tooner ran like a champ after that.........I should probably put down the High Life and stop talking motors now grin

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure sounds like some dirty carbs.

Your idle circuit (pilot jet) within the carb(s) is clean which is why she starts and idles great. Your high(er) speed circuit (main jet) is probably really gummed up if not plugged in at least one of the carburetors. When you give the engine throttle, the fuel passage through the carbs shifts to the main jet side and if they are gummed up, your engine is going to starve for fuel creating the bog.

I've had this problem in my motor. Borch actually had it in his last fall and he cleaned it up with SeaFoam Deep Creep. Mine hasn't acted up at all this year but I have the Deep Creep on the shelf just in case.

The problem sounds like classic dirty carbs but it could honestly be something else as well.

Boilerguy-

Had a similar problem on a '89 60hp VRO some years ago, and it was the electronic choke acting strange. There should be a manual choke override on the left side of the carbs, it's a small red lever.

I could be completely wrong, but it doesn't hurt to check and see. This find saved us a trip to the shop.

BoilerGuy, Nice work on the boat! Very,very nicely constructed it looks like. I have an older 87' Sylvan that I would love to add a casting deck to....this is great inspiration.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to put a water pump in it this evening then check it out. I'm not very good with carbs so I may do what I should have done a while ago, and take it in.

Chuck, I checked the electronic choke. Thanks for the info on that.

Jim buck, do it in the winter!!!!!

We just got Rob's boat back from the shop last night and it turns out that was the problem with his as well. It was gummed up and plugged bad in cylinder #2 and the others weren't too pretty either.

Glad to hear you got this one figured out!

marine_man

Yep, cost about 500 but they fixed it up right, and did some work on the T&T as well.

Eric, when you make the pilgramage, we can all pile in and use his boat now rather than lil red. Easier for the three of us to fish from.

All good intentioned plans were put to an end after a trip to the local Johnson dealer. I was going to put in a water pump today. They did not have one in stock and had to order it. This is a good dealer and normally have everything but said they have sold a lot of them recently. So, no water pump until next week.

While I'm not a carb expert, I've cleaned them on my sleds before. I think I'm gonna go hit the garage and give them a shot. I've had this motor for a couple years and have never cleaned them. I asked the guy I bought it from and he had it for about 8 years of so and have never cleaned them. So, wether this is the main problem or not, they need to be cleaned. Who knows, maybe lady luck will smile on me, at least once.

Then, if I'm still sober, maybee I'll bolt on a couple hundred cup holders. A man should never have to move, get up, or long arm for his favorite beverage.

My concern is will there be enough room in the boat for 2 fisherman with all those cup holders?

Do you have a pail of carb cleaner to dump the carbs into and let them soak? Seems whenever I have a carb to clean and use the carb cleaner in a pail at a buddies gas station, I always end up with a cleaner carb.

I don't know if this is good or bad, but I just got done with the carbs. Pretty easy task, actually.

On all 3 of em, both jets and float bowls were squeaky clean, but I shot em full of carb cleaner anyway.

I did notice on the top carb one of the bolts holding it onto the intake manifold was not even finger tight. Actually, it was just about off. I don't know if this would have made it run the way it did, or not. I can see that cylinder sucking a lot of air if that bolt was that loose.

When I get a water pump and get it back in the water I'll find out.

I'm not quitting or giving up. I have way too much money and blood invested in this motor. However, I'm after today I'm at my wits end. I have no clue what is wrong with this motor. It starts at the tap of a key. It idles great. It high idles great. The second I touch the throttle it bogs badly, and dies like 3 seconds later. I have no idea why. Carbs are squeaky clean, compression is good, spark in all 3.

Tomorrow it's following me to work and then going to the dealer. I can't figure out the motor problem and I want, no I need to be on the lake.

I have a 1975 40 horse Johnson that i bought last year from a guy down the road from my house. I had problems similar to this, but mine really wouldn't even idle fine.

So what did I do..... I asked the previous owner (who bought the enigne new) if he had ever done anything with the carb. He said no!!!!!! He hadn't cleaned it out or anything. Well I hoped this was the problem and took off the carb. Being that I'm only 18 and just out of HS I figured I was gonna screw this up royally, but all went well. The carb looked fairly clean for being 33 years old, and nothing really looked broken, damaged or rotting. Well I bought a carb kit anyway and installed all the new stuff just for kicks and giggles. Well, to my surprise, she is running like a champ now!!!!

The moral of the story. Even though everything looks fine in the carb, doesn't necessarily mean that it is. It costs you less than 30 bucks, and you can do it yourself. Just a thought, but being that you are bringin' it in anyway, I would deffinitaly get the professional opinion.

Sounds to me like the carbs might not be sync'd. You may have only have one opening up before the other two do. An air leak is also a possibility. There is no idle mixture screw on those motors and even the tinyest air leak will cause problems. I'd go back and start from scratch- carbs, synchronization, and timing.

Nice job on the boat Boilerguy. I'm sure you will figure out the motor.

I did a remodel of a boat once and came to the same conclusion you did - NEVER AGAIN. Even though it turned out great - it's labor intensive.

In fact, I've taken this pledge - I only remodel by checkbook now...

Again - great job on the boat. Better load her up with cup holders - sounds like you will have lots of guests!

Assuming the main jets aren't plugged and correct fuel level in the bowls. Carbs synchronization, and timing would also be my next step. Then look for a short, loose wire or something around the advance. It could be something that won't allow the crank to pull the gas like a seal, bad or dirty leaf valve, or low compression.

I'd also re-torque everything.

Yeah, when we picked Rob's boat up from the shop they said that the carbs looked squeeky clean, but when they really dug in, they found that the main jets for carb #2 were gummed up bad, and the timing was off. They cleaned all the carbs, got the timing set and sync'ed all the carbs and she runs great now. We just have to remember to put the plug in so we aren't plowing through the lake with a boat bottom full of balast next time we go out. Oops!