• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boilerguy's misfit boat

For those who don't know, let me set the stage.

Last year, early summer, I bought a boat from a family guy. Yeah, I know, business and family are a bad mix. Anyhoo, it was good for about 3 days, then things went sour. Here is is, my 16 foot Starcraft.

2008_0427boatproject0003.jpg

After a few uses I totally melted pretty much everthing in the powerhead. After a long drawn out battle to get parts and machine shop work, I got mangaged to rebuild the powerhead. Life was good, until I tossed a gear out of the lower end. Yeah, it totally left the gear box. Not a good day for boilerguy. I got a different casing, and rebuilt the lower end. Once again, life was good and I was fishing. A great couple of times on the lake later, including an FM get togehter at Appledorns, I smoked the VRO pump. By this time I'm thinking God doesn't want me to go fishing, so I put it up for the winter.

Winter is over, and I want to go fishing. I replaced the VRO pump and a few other small parts and the motor is strong. I'm in no position to buy a newer boat, but the fishabality if this one is difficult, so it's time for some changes. As a bonus, the deck is rotten, it has electrical problems, no rear deck, the front deck it too small, and the live well is smack dab in the middle of the boat. Things need to change.

Way small rotten front deck, with seat pedestal that wiggles. The only good things are the trolling motor and my homemade anchor that will hold an aircraft carrier.

2008_0427boatproject0004.jpg

No rear deck and the live well takes up WAY too much usable space.

2008_0427boatproject0005.jpg

Stripped everything up front.

2008_0428boatproject0001.jpg

Stripped everything in back.

2008_0428boatproject0002.jpg

I still have electrical work to do. I'm re-wiring everything, and going from there. I don't want to steal the thunder from the guys who have posted rebuild projects, as I've seen some awesome work.

As progress happens, I'll post more.

So far thanks go out to Milwaukee tools, Miller welders, Dewalt tools, Craftsman tools, Pabst Blue Ribbon, My neighbor Tom, Lawson Drill bits, and S&K tap sets.

More to come. I'll keep ya all posted of my adventures.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you have a good start, now the fun begins. It is truly a labor of love when bringing up an old boat to today’s standards. It makes it hard when everything is done and you tell your self, “I should sell it now”.

But like most and my self you have too much love for the boat at that point and can not bring you self to sell it, until something happens and then that love drops a notch or two. You price out new boats and then that problem gets fixed and you in love again. grin.gif

You aren’t alone BG.

I have been fixing some phantoms and doing upgrades to my boat these past few weeks. I am pumped to get her out on the water.

Good luck dude and keep us posted.

YES! I am not the only one who continues the struggle! Funny stuff Eric. I have similar problems as discussed in our e-mails. We will have to laugh it off on the shores of the great Gitchegumee this summer as we nourish ourselves with said beverages and troll for copious lake trout-us. Hang in there bro, it'll get better. ;\) BC

I am interested in seeing this project come together. I might tackle my boat some day in the future. I don't have the metal working skills needed for an aluminum floor, but I can't wait to see where that battery charger goes.

I am gonna miss that livewell Eric. We only put a couple big perch in there out at Appledoorns. There was that and the whole trolling motor incident. I can attest to the accuracy of the claim of being able to hold an air craft carrier too, that anchor is sweet. Looks like you have it pretty well stripped, now you just have to figure out exactly how you want to rebuild it. Look forward to seeing the progress Eric.

Can't wait to see the progress. I love seeing the boat remodels on here. If you ever wanna get out, give me a shout. I usually have an open seat and always good to meet FMr's and have a good day fishing.

Superduty, good idea about the bilge pump, thanks.

Lowblazah, I've been seriously thinking about ditching the VRO also for the peace of mind. I had to replace it anyway because the fuel end went out. I'm thinking I'll block off the oil end and pre-mix.

Quote:
wow you guys are making me want to go out and get a project boat
Um, Dtro.....it's making me want to buy a brand spakin boat under warrenty.....after I win the lottery. grin.gif

Picks, it will have a wood floor. I could put down an aluminum one, but for some reason I'm opting for wood. The charger will go on the starboard side, aft section, under the rear deck.

Polar, that live well is going back in, just up front under the casting deck. Having it in the middle of everything takes up way too much room. I made another anchor so now I have one for the rear, also. Or, another aircraft carrier.

Thanks for the tips fellas. After work today I'm off to Menards. Not that demolition is over, it's time for construction. I'll keep yas all posted.

Update and observations.

About $350 at menards for one sided sanded BC plywood, hinges, fasteners, Spar varnish, blah, blah, blah. Not real bad I thought.

Spar varnish just isn't what it used to be. However, now I'm sitting here waiting for coat #4 to dry. Then, I'll be applying coat #5 and the main deck will get installed.

I'm not an electrician, but holy cow, this is a mess. I was trying to decide whether to try and figure it all out or get to rippin it all out and completely start from scratch.

2008_0501boatproject0001.jpg

I ripped it all out. I'm this far, it may as well get done correctly. As soon as I'm done typing this I'm going outside to completely re-wire everything, if the wind doesn't blow me over.

The wiring shouldn't be too bad for you Boilerguy. I redid all the wiring in my boat last summer.

All of the main motor wiring and controls should be self contained in the harness. All that "other" wiring is for accessories (lights, bilge pump, livewell pump, electronics, horn, etc.)

Its easiest to run a main wire up from the battery to a fuse panel or switch panel. All the accessories are wired and switched from there. Not too bad of a job... just have to keep the wires organized and routed logically. This would be one job where being neat and paying attention to details is worth it.

I think this project could use some supervisory type people, call the neighbor boys, they can talk you through it clearly Boilerdude! hehehehe

Good luck buddy, looks like you are primed for a great fix!!! I would get on the phone and call Pearchpounder for his electrical expertise!

Get away from the VRO??? No way. I have about a zillion dollars invested in that motor, it's getting buried with me when I die. I am, however, blocking off the oil line and pre-mixing my gas.

Wiring is pretty much done. I'm not an electrician but I do know a thing or 2 about current flow. Hanson was spot on for anyone else thinking about doing an overhaul. I ran main wires to a circut breaker and everything else feeds off of that, via some cool new switches. It's going to be cool to be on the lake, and not try to figure out why stuff isn't working. You guys would not believe the blob of wiring I pulled out of the rear, the gunwales, and under the console. Now it's all neat and tidy.

Time to go apply another coat.

boilerguy, i redid the wood and carpeting in my boat this past winter also. a labor of love i thought would never get done. looks nice now, only if i could find some of the misc. parts i need that i put away id remember where i put them. maybe abit of that thinking juice is in order, or is that why i dont remember???????? good luck.

Saturday I spent most of the day fitting the decking, sidewalls, front and rear casting deck. I got the majority of it cut and fit. Then the evening came around and I quit for the day.

Sunday morning came and after some Wheaties and coffee I went outside to survey the job.

The job site foreman and my faithful companion Jeffrey decided to crack the whip and get me busy.

Jeffrey demanding progress. He's saying, "Get to it mister. I want to go fishing!!!"

2008_0505boatproject0001.jpg

I pretty much took everything apart so I could apply about a zillion coats of spar varnish. The past few days I've been varnishing the main deck so while coats were drying I installed the main deck. During dissambly I realized there was hardly any floatation foam in this boat so under this deck I installed a bunch of foam that can't be seen.

Aft main decking.

2008_0505boatproject0002.jpg

Forward main decking with live well set in place.

2008_0505boatproject0003.jpg

The main deck has 12 coats of spar varnish so it should be good to go. I spent the majority of the day today applying spar varnish to the various pieces and parts for the forward casting deck, aft casting deck, and gunwail covers.

Applying spar to the rest of the piece parts took up the rest of teh day. What a beautiful day it was to be working outside. Within the next week or so I hope to have everything close to assembled.

The job foreman, Jeffrey (130 pound shorthair) taking a break. At least the foreman gets a break.

2008_0505boatproject0004.jpg

Thanks for this weekends work go out to Spar varnish, Craftsman tools, DeWalt tools, Band Aid bandages, Lawson drill bits, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Folgers coffee, Sharpie brand markers, and Red Wing Boots.

Originally Posted By: muc33
Good luck buddy, looks like you are primed for a great fix!!! I would get on the phone and call Perchpounder for his electrical expertise!

I might have to do that. My wires are having occasional issues-getting loose. I jiggle them and then they are fine again. I've looked at it but can't figure it out.

Anyways, looks like you are doing great work boilerguy! You'll have that baby shipshape in no time. I wish I could help but all I'd do is drink your PBR and make like your foreman and lay around \:\)

I've been spending a lot of time slaving away for the man, so I have not been making much progress on the boat. Today I got the main deck carpeted and my home made seat peds in.

2008_0512boatproject0002.jpg

I also got the live well where I want it, the front deck carpeted and installed, and parts of the gunwail carpeted up front.

2008_0512boatproject0001.jpgf

I carpeted part of the rear deck and a few other small parts. They are in the garage waiting for the glue to dry so no pictures. Hopefully I'll get more done quickly as the weather is great and I should be on the lake!!!