• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best song lyrics?

AaronM

Originally Posted By: Windy City Walleye Hunter
Meaney,

I knew there was something I liked about you! I am a huge Seger fan, saw him last year and the boy can still rock it. There is some snow on the roof but there is still fire in the furnace. Fun fact: It took him 2 years to write the second verse of Night Moves. Well worth the wait though! And we listen to Du Hast every Friday at work, gets the boyz geeked for making the sale!

Windy

haha, how can you not like the "meaney"! \:\)

Originally Posted By: jwhjr

Dark Cloud - I see you're in NY, are you planning on making it to any of the PJ shows out east this summer?

Im not much of a concert go-er. I tend to abvoid crowds and people, lol. I have only been to one concert and that was James Taylor two years ago at the state fair - awesome!

Pearl Jam live could be sweet though... But I see they are playing in NJ and NY city a area along with Philly I collectivly call the armpit of America and try to avoid. whistle.gif

I don't go to very many concerts myself, but I have seen PJ a couple of times. Once here in Mpls, and once in Vegas. It's a good time and the fans are fun.

This is a good post! I'd have to agree with the guy above who said thatBob Dylan is the best ever...but John Prine and Woody Guthrie are pretty good, too!

Here's some John Prine: "Fathers forgive us for what we must do; you forgive us and we'll forgive you. We'll forgive each other 'til we both turn blue, then we'll whistle and go fishin' in heaven."

Or some more Prine: "I am an old woman, named after my mother; my old man is another, child that's grown old. If dreams were lightning, and thunder were desire, this old house would have burnt down, a long time ago."

For Dylan, how about "A Hard Rain's A-gonna Fall" or "Girl from the North Country" or "one-who-thinks-I-am-silly Wind"?? Ahh...too many to name!

Oh, and Townes Van Zandt (he's not very popular--couldn't tell you why):

"Well when the wind don't blow in Amarillo,

and the moon along the Gunderson don't rise,

shall I cast my dreams upon your love, babe,

and lie beneath the laughter of your eyes?

...Ah, Mother thinks the road is long and lonely,

little brother thinks the road is straight and fine,

well little darling thinks the road is soft and lovely;

I'm thankful that old road's a friend of mine."

They're almost all that good...and it's almost perfect iambic pentameter, too! (I teach English...if you couldn't tell grin.gif )

Not a fan of rap or pop, so my favorite lyrics come from Kaycee WY, a man named Chris LeDoux.

songs about love for a girl and a truck anyone can relate to and he didnt write about stuff he didnt know about like chaeting and such.

Da Yoopers! what poetry, what imagery. I can picture a turty pointer now. thier lyrics are very inspiring.

Gotta agree with Papa Bear. Chris LeDoux was the best. Too many great songs and stories to just have to pick one. He died too early but his son Ned still tours playing drums with two bands. One is his dads former band Western Underground and with Dustin Evans.

Roger Creager, a country artist out of Texas has a great song called "I Got the Guns". If anyone has had a gun passed down from a grandparent they will understand this song.

Not so much an entire song, but my favorite line in a song is Craig Morgan's song Almost Home right after waking up a homeless man to make sure he was ok:

' I said,"old man you're gonna freeze to death"

Let me drive you to the mission

He said,"Boy if you'd left me alone

Right now I'd be fishin" '

I just don't think anyone will ever make better sense of our imaginatin than "Twinkle, Twinkle".

And being reminded by an earlier post with "reeling in the years", it certainly is true that "the things that pass for knowledge I just can't understand".

There are those who think that life

Has nothing left to chance

With a host of holy horrors

To direct our aimless dance

A planet of playthings

We dance on the strings

Of powers we cannot perceive

The stars aren’t aligned ---

Or the gods are malign

Blame is better to give than receive

You can choose a ready guide

In some celestial voice

If you choose not to decide

You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears

And kindness that can kill

I will choose a path that’s clear

I will choose free will

Not only is he one of the best drummers ever, Neil Peart can whip up some awesome lyrics to boot.