• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats the funniest or stupidiest thing you've seen other people do on the ice?

klbowe

Although this is an open-water story (and a long one, at that) it is worth sharing...
I was trout fishing with three friends at one of the mine pits near Crosby. We were fishing from shore and there were three guys out in a full size boat with a 50-horse motor on it (kind of overkill for the size of the lake). First, they come back to the landing where we were fishing because one of the guys ran out of smokes. He gets to the car and realizes that he has locked his keys in it. Simple solution- pick up a big chunk of iron ore and smash the back window. Got that solved so he got his smokes and went back out in the boat. The motor wouldn't start, so he pulls the hood off the motor and promptly drops it into the drink (I think it was about 150 feet deep where he did it). Did some messing with the motor and got it started. They were out fishing for another hour or so before coming back to land the boat and leave. They get up to the car only to find that they have a flat tire. No problem, just change it. This is, however, on a 30-degree slope and these guys have plenty of alcohol in them at this point in time. They did manage to get the tire changed, although I was sure we'd have to call an ambulance before it was over. After all this, they back the trailer into the water and put the boat on. They pull out of the water and tried to put the tie-down straps on the back, but the boat was sitting a little too far back on the trailer for the straps to reach. They decided that it wasn't a problem and get into the car to leave. They did manage to make it up the very long, very steep hill to the top and out of our sight. As my three friends and I were looking at each other in disbelief over what we had just witnessed, we heard a loud crash and some swearing at the top of the hill above us- the boat had come off the trailer. We got in the truck and left, going out on a different road so as to not have to wet our pants. True story...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not nearly so funny as poor Roy, but worth sharing a few:
1. Sitting at a friends house in highschool on a lake that didn't support fish or any wildlife and was right in town. Some guy's ripping around on a really old sled when it dies right in the middle. About ten minutes later we see him back out there with an auger, drilled holes around the sled until it sunk with a splash.
2. Bunch of us in a large fish house when a school of perch moved through. The rookie, got real excited and started hogging holes, trying to pull up two fish at a time. He was large, and bent over, and from the back looked a lot like a plumber. So my frind dropped a live 10 inch perch down the crack. Watching a guy dance with two tangled lines in his hands and not able to get a grip on a wriggling perch is worth paying money to see.

Funniest thing
A pout shooting up the inside of the shiners jacket shocked.gif He was out of the house screeming ripping off his jacket. I still laugh to this day about it grin.gif

Stupidist thing?
People trashing the ice! mad.gif

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

stupidist thing-unloading the truck a couple years back, and a guy drives right down on the ice, breaks through and goes in up over his wheels. the wrecker came and pulled him out. 10 minutes later, a van drives right down, parks next to the HUGE hole from the car-and goes in. what a surprise!

I was stationed in Milwaukee back in the early 60's and was new to ice fishing. I had tried to learn all I could by asking questions and reading. Thought I would take a drive out to see how it was done. Picked a popular lake nearby and arrived just in time to see this fellow hand-line a large Northern that would have run about 12+ pounds out on the ice. I stopped and watched him try to take the hook out of its mouth. He was having problems with it keeping its mouth closed, so he stepped on the fish just behind the head. Mouth open - he reached inside and released the hook. Mouth slammed shut and he yanked his hand out. Looked like it had gone through a meat grinder. I have to say I learned a valuable lesson that day!

alright guys i got a good one for ya-
One fri night me and 3 other buddies were out on a local lake, well the night was getting long so we decided to wrap it up, so 2 of the guys went to get the truck, after about 2 min from when they left I happend to look out the window of the fish house and see a women storming across the ice looked like she was pi$$ed when all of a sudden she gets to a little black portable and starts screaming "I knew it!!!, I fricken knew it!!" and every other word you could think of, and then you could hear a guys voice saying "honey, its not what you think" and then we heard a scuffle and looked out again and seen the portable was crumbled to the ground and there was 2 women fighting on the ice and the guy was pulling one off the other pleading to her to stop and relax. By far the funniest thing I have ever seen on the ice, i guess the moral of the story is that even if you want to have an affair on the ice you are still not safe and to never give your wife your secret "GPS Cordinates"!!!

I have a stupidest.
My buddies Dad several years ago was out ice fishing late winter. The ice was just horrible. Honeycombed so bad it flexed as you walked. If you stood in one spot to long, you would have a inch of water around your feet, cuz the ice would sag.
He dragged an inflatable kids raft behind him as his lifeline in the case that he broke through.

Yea, I was out there too. But I was smart. I fished in only a few feet of water. wink.gif

He got fish and the rest of us got nothing. He nailed several very big crappies in a short time.
We stood there in shallow water watching him catch em, but none of us could muster up the nuts to go out to where he was.

Fishing mille last year out of garrison. We met the guys next to us .They were from the cities. We ran out fo refreshments, so they went in to the blue goose on a run. The vikes had a snowmobile rally going on ton of people.They come back about 3 hrs later with 2 strippers. Lets just say the cold weatherr did wonders for them. On the middle of the pond.Told my bud nobody's going to believe this. True story!

this is the story as my buddie told me. his friend ask him to go to a lake so remote ,one can only get there by sleds in the winter.monster wallies and northerns were waiting for them. apon ariving there was a fishing contest in progress.

quote:

He got fish and the rest of us got nothing. He nailed several very big crappies in a short time.

quote:

We stood there in shallow water watching him catch em, but none of us could muster up the nuts to go out to where he was.

Which is the stupid part??( wink.gif

A two years ago we were fishing with a groug of guys that had an older ice auger. This auger had the screw bit on the end, when he drilled his hole he did not let the auger get all the way through, just the end. The hole filled with water and he started fishing. Then he started yelling for his buddy to help him with the fish he had caught. We looked over that the pole was bent almost in half. They work on this fish for a while and then noticed that there was only a small hole at the bottem and the fish could not get through it. The ended up cutting the line. A lesson well learned.....

I was up on URL in late march when the ice is thick and getting soft and 2 older guys come out and start up there auger with the extension on and start drilling a hole one on each side of the auger,they get almost to the bottom of the ice and the auger stops for the next 10 min one guy would pull the auger up 6 inches and the other guy would hit the gas and down it would go.I wanted to go help but I was laughing to hard.This has happened to me before but I have to say it is much funnier watching someone else.

A couple years ago I decided to bring my at the time drug addict brother fishing with me on Prior Lake. We decided to use the acess off of HWY 18 as we planned to fish Candy Cove.
I got in line to let the boat off and I told my brother to take care of unhooking the hook chain. I started backing towards the dock and all of the sudden my boat flys off the trailer! I was yelling and swearing so badly it must have been a sight to see. Luckily the boat didn't come totally off the trailer but it was sticking nose up quite a bit. It put a nice dent in the aluminum boat but didn't do any leak damage. Last time I let someone else unhook the boat.

we were on a small lake fishing some years back with my son. he was abit miffed becuase he wasnt catching anything he took a short walk (like 12yrs will) and while his back was turned greg (my fishing partner) took a can of bud and put it on his hook and eased it down the hole. paul (my son) got back went to jig his rod and boy did he get excited when that rod bent. the look on his face when he pulled up the bud...... well it was priceless!

My wife and I were on a small inland lake, we drilled a few holes for tip-ups and i drilled another ten or so holes away from shore to find some suspended crappies. My wife was setting upthe tip-ups first hole was set up and she went to the second, i was busy with my VEX looking in the holes with me back to her. she set up the second and i was still looking in the holes and then the third tip-up was set out to do it's job. I heard her yell to me "Honey weres the tip-up?!" i looked away from the VEX to see her standing were the first tip-up was... I say very honestly what do you mean were is the tip up? I went over to her (she was just standing there looking down the hole) and she says I heard a splash and looked over it was gone I saw drag marks on the ice the fish had pulled the tip-up right down the hole and was gone.

stupid category: a few years back on a southern MN lake a fellow took his pickup out for some late ice fishing and proceded to drop it through. He went home, dried off, came back out in a second pickup and dropped that one through as well.

Open water: A my friends and I were refreshing ourselves on evening in a bar and grill on Nelson Lake in WI. There was a fellow who had entered the establishment some time before us who announced to the bar keep "I better get going, the others are probable waiting for me." With that he picked up a tackle box and rod and left. A few moments later he returned, soaked from head to toe and announced "They left without me!" He had walked right off the end of the dock.

------------------
Lunker Larry

stupid category: a few years back on a southern MN lake a fellow took his pickup out for some late ice fishing and proceded to drop it through. He went home, dried off, came back out in a second pickup and dropped that one through as well.

Open water: A my friends and I were refreshing ourselves on evening in a bar and grill on Nelson Lake in WI. There was a fellow who had entered the establishment some time before us who announced to the bar keep "I better get going, the others are probable waiting for me." With that he picked up a tackle box and rod and left. A few moments later he returned, soaked from head to toe and announced "They left without me!" He had walked right off the end of the dock.

------------------
Lunker Larry

A few years back, early ice in December on Lake Vermilion. The ice is only about 6-inches thick, but a bunch of guys decide that it's OK to park their vehicles on the ice by shore. Later that night, there's about 10 guys trying to extricate their trucks from the ice--the trucks didn't go through, but they sank into a depression in the ice and their tires froze into the ice.

There was a parking lot with plenty of space available, just about 50 feet away from them.

Their are some funny stories out their but pathogen your story about old Roy has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time. The one in the mine pits not a far second. The best thing about the "Roy" story is that I think we all know a "Roy" or two. It is just so funny to imagine that happening and the reaction of Roy watching his house go up in flames as he is standing their naked! This story definitely needs to go into some hunting and fishing magazines!!! Thanks for the great laughs, I feel as though I personally know Roy.

Their are some funny stories out their but pathogen your story about old Roy has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time. The one in the mine pits not a far second. The best thing about the "Roy" story is that I think we all know a "Roy" or two. It is just so funny to imagine that happening and the reaction of Roy watching his house go up in flames as he is standing their naked! This story definitely needs to go into some hunting and fishing magazines!!! Thanks for the great laughs, I feel as though I personally know Roy.

Funniest thing happend on Saturday.....Ice trolling is what my Dad called it. We wouldn't recomed it...luckly no one was seriously injured and no equipment damaged.

We had just set up the 6800. The buddy heater and black cat were keeping the cold out. The fish weren't hungry but we were thirsty. Having forgotten to bring anything out, I was going to get on the four wheeler and ride to the cabin for some refreshments. After letting the machine warm up I gave it a little throttle......That's when I heard a loud WHOA $#!? shocked.gif I realized that I hadn't un hooked the clam blush.gif
I quickly stopped and asked Dad if he was ok. He said yes with some hesitation. The house was pulled completely off the holes. Dad looked over at his hole -his icebuster was still there. He said "Let's not try ice trolling again!.....unless I'm driving grin.gif