• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sell or trade

Roofer

I have always traded to dealers in the past, but they seem to not be taking trades very well lately and are offering very little. Has anyone had any trouble selling out right? I'm thinking this may be a good time of year to put something on the market. Is it worth the extra $800-$1000 more to try to sell yourself? Or is it a long process, that wastes alot of your time?

I sold my DS in a heart beat but took a beating for it. I sold it for less than a dealer would have given me if I was in the market at the time to trade it in. Work wasn't looking good at the time and some things just had to go to prepare for the worst.

Alot of the time, I don't care to wait for the right buyer and will just trade it in at the dealer. I know I'll take a hit, but I try to look at the positives.

I'm not sure what I'll do when the time comes to get rid of the Rinny. Maybe I'll keep that for someone else to ride and buy a new one for myself.

I know what you mean, and I have said the same thing to others. It just seems like I would be giving the dealer the credit for how good of care I give to my atv's. They just look at the year, and give the KBB low ball figure...if your lucky.

The biggest problem that I see with selling something outright is anyone can get a new wheeler at a dealer for 0 down and $40-$100 a month payments most of the time. As you probably found out dealers will rake you over pretty good on trades though. If you find a good dealer that knows they can get rid of your wheeler easily (if it's in good shape) they might treat you a little better on a trade. I would advertise it on some of the free websites, and if you get no takers you'll have the option of trading knowing that you tried to sell it yourself.

I use to believe that I could sell it myself for more and it never turned out. I once sold a used truck and after the dude owned it for 3 months, he knocked the tranny out and had it fixed and then took me to court for the damage as he stated that I sold it to him that way. I thought I was going to lose but the judge stated that since he had it fixed before he contacted me that he could not have any recourse. One also has to figure the extra sales tax one pays as they have no trade in to lower the price.

For me, all sales will be trade ins as I am then done with it and dont have to be concerned with being dragged into court for anything they state is wrong and that I didnt tell the,m.

If one is in the position to sell out right you should do better then a trade in.

Most of the time the extra sales tax is much less then the difference between trade in and selling out right.

What is your time worth? To me if I can make a couple honey bee's I'm in.

That said, when I picked up my 2008 SP 800 I kept my 1996 SP 500. It's very clean, well maintained and has less then 550 miles on it. Ya I know, I should break it in or run a tank or two of gas through it first before I sell it. I hear it all from my wife, but go ahead I can take it grin.gif.

I know the low mileage will not mean much because it's a 1996 but I should get more then trade in.

I have never traded in one of my ATVs, and I've had a dozen of them. Things have probably changed some lately because there are more around though. My last 450 Foreman with around 6000 miles and 3 years old at the time brought me only 1700 less than I paid new. Each and every one of them that I sold went within days of advertising them (newspaper) and usually to the first person that came out. I even had a guy cursing at me in my driveway, because when he arrived, another guy who beat him there was driving away with it. (He had traveled from a long ways I guess) Some of them I never even advertised as they went to friends, or a friend of a friend. I wouldn't hesitate to try to sell outright first, and if that doesnt work try trading. You will get the occasional call with a no-show that kind of ticks a guy off, but for the most part ATV shoppers seem to show up when they say they will.

I'll probably take some heat for saying it, but I really believe that they went easy because they were Hondas. ;\) You just don't see as many used ones out there if you watch the ads.

the quad market is pretty rough right now, it sure is a buyers market with all the deals out there. I know of several people in the last year who tried to sell quads and they didnt sell until they kept lowering the price and practically gave them away. It doesnt seem to make a difference if its a sport quad or utility.

If people want to get into the ATV world right now is a great time to, there are so many great deals I wish I could pick up but just dont have the room for them.

I dont think I could ever trade or sell my quads, I got to much $$$ in them with accesories and mods. I knew going in that I never would, but it just wouldnt be any fun to keep it stock.

I 2nd what wandering said. That's where I bought mine and a friend got his. There are a lot on there so you can get an idea what folks are paying. My advice is to jack the price a couple hundred, most will chew you down and that way you still get close to what you wanted and they feel like they got a good deal.

when purchasing a machine off of places like Craig's, always ask for the VIN # so you can verify the rightful owner at that time. I'd hate to be caught with stolen property.

I've done both trade in and sell outright and they both have their advantages. If you can find the right person you can usually sell for more than you would get for trade, but when you trade one in you also don't have to pay taxes on the trade in price. It's all about how the numbers work out in the end for me.

One thing that I don't like about selling online is the scammers that offer to send you a check for more than you're asking sight unseen.

I tried selling my DS this way at first and was bombarded with e-mails from people in the UK and Africa.

I would try hsolist. Personally I would have a hard time buying something that I havent seen but I sold my sled on hsolist in Feb and got pretty good $ for it. A couple from Detroit Lakes bought it and drove down the next day and picked it up. Like I said Im not so sure I would buy one sight unseen but somepeople dont care. You can set a high reserve and if you dont get what you want for it you dont have to sell it. I would also try out Craigs list. There are alot of people that look at those ads everyday, the more people that see your ad the more likely it will sell!

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
One thing that I don't like about selling online is the scammers that offer to send you a check for more than you're asking sight unseen.

I tried selling my DS this way at first and was bombarded with e-mails from people in the UK and Africa.

I believe that's the Nigerian Scam where they send you more than needed so you send a "good" check back for the difference. Their check isn't any good at all. So, you're out some money in the end.

I went along with this once (knowing it was a scam) because i wanted to see their checks they send. Darn authentic to be honest with you!

4 Western Union checks sent (for a laptop) that are genuine checks from them....but serial numbers are no good in the WU database.

I can see how some get scrwed. If anyone would like to see, i can scan, and post pictures of what you get with the "nigerian" scams

Originally Posted By: Papa Woodie
I went along with this once (knowing it was a scam) because i wanted to see their checks they send. Darn authentic to be honest with you!

Did the same when selling a boat, just to see it arrive. ;\)

Wow, thanks for the responses!

jltimm, I am thinking of upgrading my brute to an '08.

The dealers really make me mad when they try to sell. The guy says "Ya, that new fuel injection really has good throttle response". I think geeze, you must have never driven a 750 before.

I noticed the KBB price of mine went up about 800 since last time I checked in February. Kinda funny..... \:\/

I've heard the 08's are faster than the older carb models as well as handled alot better and an improved ride. But like you pointed out before, there is no CDI box for the fuel injection system on the 08's. Maybe you will be satisfied with the stock power! ;\)

They say it handles better and being I am getting into more trail riding than mud, it might be worth it.

The 05-07's are just as fast or faster with a CDI. I think on the '08's they got rid of the timing issue. The thing I worry about is the lower ground clearance and buying all the new tires/wheels etc....