• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

April Challenge is Something Floating in Water

The voting is in and the challenge for April is Something Floating in Water

Remember to review the guidelines before posting, ONE entry per month please, the shot must be taken in April of 2008 and if you want C&C please indicated that in your post. This topic is now un locked but will stay sticky-ed at the top. At the end of the month it will be un-stuck and allowed to fall down the threads.

We had some entries in March that were not from the same month as the challenge, we are trying to get participation for the month of the challenge to expand your photography skills and visions. Please read the guidelines before posting!

Please only photos and critiques and comments in this thread. If you have questions start a new thread to ask any questions so we can keep this clean with entries only. Remember this is open for everyone, not just owners of DSLR's. Point and shoots, disposable cameras... equipment does not matter. This is about learning new skills and getting you looking at a subject in a different light possibly. Choose your entry wisely, remember you only get ONE entry. Thanks and good luck to all!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: finnbay
Hey, eyeguy, got the pressure off right away at the beginning of the month! Thanks!

heehee, I thought of this yesturday and figured, why wait. now I gotta wait till May cry.gif

Thanks for the comments all

Was thinking about the challenge... and i managed this photo earlier today. It is supposed to be a floating oak leaf... with some water droplets protruding the water. Is there a better way to capture this kind of movement? please critic...

100b1150.jpg

It's a nice pic, DWW. Thanks for sharing it here. grin.gifgrin.gif

Two things would have isolated the subjects (leaf and drops).

One would have been to arrange the scene a bit by removing the other leaves both above and in the water. That would have meant the lone leaf and droplets would have centered the eye. Some photographers won't do that, however, because they are ethically against arranging a scene in nature. That's an individual judgment call, one to decide for yourself.

The other tactic would have removed the reflective look to the surface. When shooting down at reflective still water, try making sure it's reflecting something dark. If the sky is reflected, for example, even a gray sky, you get glare much like what's seen here. If you change your angle of view so the reflection takes in a dark solid background (like of woods or dark building or a very close tree trunk if one is around), the image will lose a lot of its reflection and will be less distracting.

Next time you're in that situation, try putting the camera to your eye and moving yourself around a bit until the water appears dark and see if you like it better. You may or may not prefer the dark reflection, it's just a matter of taste.

Even if the wood isn't technically floating anymore, the foam is! grin.gifgrin.gif

Nice one, lep. I like how the tips of the branches enter the upper left-hand corner of the image. Gives detail and texture to what would have simply been sky, and it's like the branches are arms reaching down to save the waterlogged wood caught in the dam.

I like the shot Lep, but you mentioned swimming. It reminds me of one of my swimming holes when I was a kid, and we had to stay outta there after a good rain because of the back current next to the dam. That a problem here?

finn,

it's funny you mentioned rain and flooding. At the ripe young age of 12, a friend of mine and I would ride inner tubes from 2 miles upstream where I currently live to this area. The water had been so high at times that the support girders you see in the picture were completely under water. The currents were nothing to mess with, but we were like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn and spent our entire summers here.

We would actually get behind the "Wall of Water" and look out from behind the water fall.

Yeah, Ken, lowhead dams like this one are notorious for sucking things under. Many lowhead dams in the Midwest that have been there for decades are being replaced with riprap rapids, which remove the danger of lowhead dams and allows fish to move upstream past those points like they used to in the olden days.

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
Even if the wood isn't technically floating anymore, the foam is! grin.gifgrin.gif

Nice one, lep. I like how the tips of the branches enter the upper left-hand corner of the image. Gives detail and texture to what would have simply been sky, and it's like the branches are arms reaching down to save the waterlogged wood caught in the dam.

Thanks Steve. This was actually my first pic posted on FM. I am so impressed with everyone's photos that I had to see if I could find something to share.

Glad you like it.

hey catfish,

Great advice!!! I wish i would have known about that before i took the photo. \:o oh well ill remember that stuff next time i shoot that kind of photo. I would like for the challenge to extend before just April, i have some real dandys.

The other option is depending on your camera, you can get a polarizing filter for the lens. This will prevent the reflection effect from happening. That said, if you have a point and shoot digital you could probably do the correction with Photoshop. Adjust the contrast settings and it should come out with less reflection.