• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Women and Muskies

mroyten

Alright Guys Question: How do you get your women to cope with you being a musky fishing freak?

I talk, breath, and daydream about muskies quite often and my soon to be wife doesn't find it amusing most of the time, actually quite annoyed. I have musky magazines lying around the house- I'm on the net reading about musky fishing patterns, I plan on putting out a blog about my seasonal catches and I tend to let her know about all the monster fish I would like to catch this season. She can only take so much.

I have yet to get her on the water in the presence of the almighty fish, to fully understand their amazing allure, but until then does anyone have any advice for me to help her understand my fish-ti-fying state of mind?

Matt

Others will give you very different suggestions about this, but here's my suggestion- shut up for a while! grin.gif Seriously, if she was constantly blathering on about shoes, needle point, clothes, or whatever, you'd probably get pretty sick of it (if you weren't really interested in those things). Try tame it down until you can get her out on the water with you. Also, tame it down for now so she's still willing to give it a try by early June.

I say this as someone who's gone on and one about fishing and hunting to my wife too much in the past... She's still pretty understanding, but I wish I would have zipped my lip a little more and asked more about her now pair of shoes (even if I was really thinking about muskie fishing while she responded to my question).

Good response Scoot. I am actually very fortunate to have a spouse that loves the outdoors as well. Her favorite thing to do in the summer is go fishing and loves sitting in the boat with me. She loves going musky fishing and even went one weekend in September with wind and rain all day long! What a trooper! I asked her in the truck if she had a good time on the way home and she said she did but likes the sun and warmer days better, so only goes in the summer now. I go with the guys in the fall. She'll even look at lures in the store and can tell Scheel's in St. Cloud what lures I have (this past Christmas) when she was christmas shopping and the clerks were arguing with her about some lures and she was right! So the best thing to do is get her involved. She doesn't have to fish all afternoon, have her bring a book, turn the radio on a little bit or bring some food and make it a picnic. Nothing beats your wife in a swimsuit in your boat while your musky fishing! Other boats really start paying attention then! She gets a good tan, you get to catch some fish!

P.S., I also took her to Thorne Bros and let her pick out small lures she wants and pink if they happen to be so. She also has her own rod and reel that are her size so the reel isn't huge and the rod is a lot shorter and has a better grip for her. I think I'm gonna get her a purple Abu Garcia reel for a "fishing opener" present.

good advice scoot, was basicly what i was thinking reading his dilema. no woman wants to be second fiddle... 'specially to a fish eek.gif . so yeah i second the whole shut up and try and listen approach. what's her passion? learn more about it and blog that. and um... good luck sick.gif

While my GF has fished in the past, she has little interest in it now. Luckily she encourages me to go away as often as possible and her family is in MN, thus giving me the opportunity to stay at a place where Muskies are everywhere. Since she started a blog about her horse, she pressured me for over a year to start one about my fishing. So I did a little bit ago.

I wish she would come out, at least once. She thinks, because it's fishing, that's it's taking it easy and always makes fun of her stepdad and me when we come back from throwing big baits for 14hrs a day, five days in a row looking all haggard and sore. It usually takes me at least a month to recover. She thinks Muskies are scary and doesn't understand why it's fun to catch them. I'm not sure what's fun about having your butt slapped with a leather saddle when you're just trying to get somewhere, but I think I should stay away from that conversation. In any case, her hobby and mine both cost us more than is reasonable, so in that sense at least, she can't throw stones.

My wife isn't the biggest muskie fisherman but she goes with me quite a bit. To be honest, I don't talk to her much about it because she really doesn't care... It's more of the time togther that she likes.

My advise would be to get her out in the boat on a nice day in June. Make sure that she has a book or something to do as she might get bored, let her throw a topwater or something else that's easy to throw and don't stay out too long.

Let her ease into it.

Try coming home like I did a few months ago and relaying the message that you signed up to moderate a muskie board!! More time spent on the keyboard! Good times, wouldn't change a thing!

I got her involved a bit, with her own rod complete with pink wraps and came home from the Expo with a KT Pro Edge hat, black with pink, to match the rod...she liked it a lot!

We keep it fun, she has a good time fishing with me, especially on nice summer days, who wouldn't like that? We're still working on the 1st muskie for her, but she's got some darn nice pike and bass. Stay at a nice place too, we did Appeldoorn's this past Fall and had a great time. She was out in October throwing muskie stuff by day and night trolling for 'eyes with me, can't beat that. We picked up a men's small gore-tex pant and parka set (camo no less) for her at a steal of a price. If she's comfy, she's happy!

Make it fun and you'll both have fun! She even suprised me with a LOTW ice fishing trip last year!

i find it just easier to become single right around then end of may. an then keep it that way until dec.

course that may be why there are no little mtreno's runnin around.......

Originally Posted By: mtreno
i find it just easier to become single right around then end of may. an then keep it that way until dec.

hahaaha that sounds alot like me mtreno. Seems the last couple of years I find myself single around walleye opener. Never really put much thought into it but Muskie fishing probably has alot to do with that grin.gif Oh well, at 24 I still got a couple years to just fish/party and then start thinking about settling down.

Mtreno... perfectly understandable...

Im just glad that Im single and I fish alot... Just need to find the right woman... but then again... I dont have to worry about getting my head smacked when Im looking at those hotties on a beach or on a pontoon while fishing...

Girls gone wild... Just would love that to happen more often out there in MN lakes grin.gif

A couple of years ago on LOTW my wife came out muskie fishing with me her first (and only) time. She's casting in the back, I'm in front and i hear a scream, turn to see a large ski submerging after she pulled her lure up and away from her open jaws! She sticks to walleyes now...:)

The coolest thing about having your signifigant other into Muskie fishing is that your birthday and christmas presents drastically improve!!! grin.gif I went from getting jeans and shirts every birthday to getting eagle tails, cowgirls, water choppers, bull dawgs and Beckmans!!! It's awsome.

Then on your birthday, they want to go on a weekend muskie trip. What could be better?

I can't complain about my girlfriend. She loves to go fishing, camping and shopping for new muskie baits. She's got about 6 or 7 bucktails, all pink.:D I took her to Mantrap last fall and she had her first follow. She was so excited about that fish, that she didn't want to leave the lake. Now we are planning a fishing trip up to Mantrap sometime in June. She loves to go to Thorne Bros. and Reeds. Whenever we go there, I always end up spending more then I planned. I let her pick out a few muskie baits for herself. It helps when you take a lot of breaks and explain the different baits and how to work them. Let her pick out spots on the lake to fish, let her drive the boat. Try to make it as fun as possible for her. Remember that when she's with, it's a little different from when your out fishing with your hardcore muskie fishing friends. Tone it down a little bit. Make the whole day about her. If your not seeing any muskies, go try for pike or bass. Whenever we take a break from muskie fishing and try for some pike, she always catches more then me. blush.gif I'm hoping to get her nine year old daughter into muskie fishing this summer. But I have a feeling that might take a little more time. I might have to start her out with the pike and bass. grin.gif

Marriage is give and take.

So, she is going to have to put up with some of your fishing...but you are going to have to put up with some of her stuff.

She shouldn't stop you from fishing, but you will HAVE to fish less and talk about it less.

If you are not willing to do that...find another woman.

I'm half laughing half crying at all your responses. Try explaining to the Mrs. why your 2 year old is running through the house with a DC-10 in hand!! Becuase of the kids I began fishing a lot more at night so that I'm home more at normal hours. One night last year as I was leaving to fish at about 10PM I joked I was going to see my girlfriend - the answer back was that if she'd feel like she had more of a chance if she was only competing with another woman. \:\) I can't complain though - she actually let me know not too long ago that she expects me to put her on a 40 incher!

All good stuff. I might add - who wears the pants in the relationship, or who brings home the bacon? But that would be too chauvinistic. Hunter and I fish with my daughter whenever she can go and my wife appreciates that I include her. Shelby caught one on her 3rd trip ever, and Hunter didn't get one until his second year, so he was a bugger to live with over the winter. But when he did get his first, my wife happened to come with, so she really got a kick out of it. But just like deer hunting she doesn't understand why someone would get up at dark-thirty to go out in the cold to fish or hunt, so she pretty much says if you guys are dumb enough... Thankfully we're able to go together to her folks place up north, and we go fish for the whole weekend while she visits. She thinks it's a fair trade. If she only knew.

I'm pretty lucky with my wife. She knows I'm a muskie freak and she lets me do my thing. It helps that I don't ice fish so I'm home for a few months anyways. She gets more crabby about my two dogs than my fishing.

Brian

I'm lucky with that part of my life, she loves it as much as I do and if I'm on the water without her she's a bit jealous of me, I love fishing with her more than she likes fishing with me, I tell you that woman can net a Muskie LOL, she really doesn't like the fact that Muskies keep me away from home so much in the winter with meetings and that sorta junk but she supports that part of Muskie fishing also, I have it good for the most part, now everything else in our relationship is a disaster, Muskie is really the glue at this point LOL.

get em on the water and have fun

John

I'm lucky too - My GF and I met through blind date and she knew I was a musky addict before she even met me. She also was on the boat alot as a kid so that helped. She put it all into the musky fishing last year and finally boated her first in September. A few more in the boat this summer and she'll be hooked, she already picked out a few baits of her own and knows her way around Thorne as well as anybody.

I am also very blessed with a wife that likes to fish.

She has yet to catch one but the fish she had going around in circles last year has her hooked.

I like fishing with the fellas but there is nothing more enjoyable then my time in the boat with my wife. 10 years strong this year. Sure figured she would come to her senses by now.