• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New siding and Windows......

I've been putting this off for as long as I can. I need to replace my windows and I figure since I'm at it I might as well do the siding.

I'm looking for some input for the brand of windows and siding. I read the thread about new siding a little further down the list and I haven't made up my mind as to what to get.

Also, If anybody has some input on contractors in the Lino area that I can call to get some estimates that would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

I did my own. Measured the windows and replaced em with vinyl ones from Menards. They made em to fit. Not the best out there I'm sure, but much better than what I had. Fishing buddy and I did the alum soffit and fascia and then put on vinyl siding. Read a couple books on it first. Really easy to do. Saved $4,000 on the siding job. When we finished mine we did his. Took about a couple weeks each in between fishing trips.

Boiler has the right idea bout siding if you plan on stayin there awhile,it is higher cost but NICE,as far as windows? I now can after installing vinyl windows at home 3 yrs ago. advise aginst them they sweat freeze shut,cant change colors,they look shoddy,fade,stain,etc... I'd go wood with alum. clad.My other houses were Pella and I was satisified.

PS To boiler get a airless sprayer bout 200 bucks,it'll take more time to prep for staning than staning

4 years ago I put in 9 Anderson vinyl clad on the main house and can't complain one bit. Very good window so far. Easy to install as well. They had sizes that fit my rough openings well. I installed new vinyl siding last fall. I went with Certainteed Monogram at 46 mil thick. Very easy to install as well. I also put 3/4" certifoam underneath the siding. I also put 6 Crestline vinyl sliders in my three season porch. Did all the work my self and was very easy. I have about $7000 into the whole works. 26' x 48' house with 14' x 26' porch.

I have used marvin and anderson windows. I like both but went with the ones that better fit my rough openings. With windows rough opening is everything. If you get that right installation is a breeze. You want to do all the windows first then do the siding. How old is your house. If older then 10 years you will probably have to have custom windows made or make your rough openings smaller or larger. Smaller openings will probably mean sheet rock work on the inside.

Thanks Box, I received your e-mail.

Boiler, I kind of like the idea of Cedar. We live in the woods and it would be nice to keep the woodsy atmosphere.

The house is 30 years old and we do plan on staying there for a while. I think we might have to get the custom made windows.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mike

I wouldn't suggest wood siding for just anyone. If you have enough sun and the siding can dry, then it may be ok, as long as you don't mind maintenance and possible leaks when it cracks. It's just more repair, but if you like it....more power to you.

For windows, as a Contractor, I am telling you, don't go out and blow a ton on a big brand name like pella or andersen because the way they are made now...none of them last more than 15 years working correctly.

I bought and put in Simonton Reflections line. They are the number 1 seller of replacement windows and have been for a long time. Guess what...they are half the cost of Pella, Marvin, or Andersen. Lifetime warranty on glass, many styles, and rather easy to install.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone sell you 'insert' windows. Get full new windows, new trim and extensions, new insulation around them, and have everything new.

For ideas, I can put a few pics up later tonight of houses we have done. Some things you may not normally see.

roofer,

The full replacement route vs inserts is what I'm currently going back and forth in my head. Also vinyl vs. LP smartside. I know the obvious price differences. I'm not wealthy, but don't like the idea of going "cheap" either. Looking forward to the pix and any further advice / words of wisdom.

goose

ps - any opinions / experience with Traco windows / sliding doors?? Thanks in advance.

How bad are your windows?

At my last house, the windows rattled, and needed new glazing. I discovered A-Craft Windows in Minneapolis. You bring in your windows, they cut them down for new vinyl jambs and attach new weatherstripping. You attach brackets, the jambs, weatherstripping in your head jamb and reinstall the windows that have become tilt-ins. I reglazed and painted.

I did one window first to see if I could figure it all out. It was a snap. I took 11 more windows in on a Monday and picked them up on Thursday. I had practically new windows in a week.

That was 10 years ago and the cost was around $40 each.

The vinyl jambs and tilt windows were a big feature when I sold the place.

Traco is decent. The window company my bro-in-law works for uses them quite often. They were more expensive than some others and had no benefit that I saw. And that was with a discount and picking them up myself. I got all Simonton windows for a better price, better warranty, better references, and delivered to my house.

I don't have any window pictures right now of anything special. I do have some siding pics from today and will hopefully post them later tonight.

This is a pic of the job we are working on now. It has vinyl siding that comes in 25 foot lengths (minimal splicing). We used Certainteeds 'super corners' and will be using some pvc shakes and boards on the front, but we aren't that far yet. We did not replace windows on this one.

100_0984.jpg

Here are some pics from my house. I used Rollex double 5" dutch lap steel siding and simonton windows. Not sure if you can see, but they have a fully molded nailing fin. Some windows don't. I opted for the fin to also include the J channel on them. Some people like it, some don't. I like it because it is a cleaner look and I know it is waterproof.

100_0988.jpg

100_0987.jpg

100_0986.jpg

100_0985.jpg

I just installed premium vinyl....like .046 thickness or something close to that can't remember... I really like the look, cost is fairly cheap compared to some others and the wife likes it so that is really priceless...I also have middle of the road vinyl window with the j channel attached like roofer was talking about...they look nice, but I can't seem to solve the sweating problem.... good luck with your decision!

I am with Roofer on the Simonton windows. I am the head purchaser of these windows for the company I work for and they are the #1 replacement window in the industry.( J.D. Powers voted this also) They have a lifetime warranty on the frame, screens and hardware and 20 yr on the glass and life time if you up grade the glass to a super spacer. My dealings with these have been nothing but good, my call backs and very minimal if any. Go to their web page and look them up .

Great window.

Jar Jar

If your looking for windows and have some time to spare, check out Builders Material Outlet in Eagan and I believe St. Paul. They take all the builders unused/wrong order windows and sell them at huge discounts. It's a self-service type place so you have to pick and choose. They carry mostly Pella, Marvin and Anderson.

A number of years back I was looking at a job like the guy who started this thread. A very good contractor pointed out that if I replaced the entire window I would have to size them to current code. That meant exgress sized windows in bedrooms, which meant extensive work on the inside of the house. I was ready to just burn the place down then he came up with the idea of replacement sash. That's what we went with.

I also suggest you consider putting on 1 inch of foam on the exterior. It will make the house incredibly warmer and really won't add that much to the cost of the project. I think my walls went from R7 or 8 to R 13 or 14 with the foam. 1960's 2X4 construction was what we had.

You better start trying to find a contractor last week cause now's the time they're lining up the jobs.

Foam isn't a bad idea, especially on 2x4 walls. Not all siding is made to go over foam though. May want to check that out. Certainteed now has a new foam backed vinyl that have a R value of 4.

Typically, older homes that had electric heat were very well insulated, even with a 2x4 wall.

On the other hand most houses pre-1970 are not insulated very well at all. There are other alternate methods to correct that.