• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Musky reel

I would like to get some opinions on the best musky reel for the money. My budget is in the $150 range and I am considering an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur but would spend more if I need to.

I want a reel that is durable enough for heavy baits and has the best reputation for standing the test of time.

I would appreciate your feedback

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abu Garcia 7000iC3 $120 if you look around hard... Just check out Thorne Bros... and with $15 rebate offer from Abu Garcia... cant go wrong with that...

I now have 2 7000iC3... and those two will be going on two 8'6 Pro Edge Edge rods... It'll be able to handle anything from Showgirls up to Super Cowgirls and from baby depthraider to Pounder Bulldawg...

I already know that Hellhound do cast very far with a 7'6 but how much further would they go with a 8'6 or 9'0 rods??? Cant wait to see...

Hiya -

REALLY hard to beat a 7000. I have - geez, 8 or 10 of them probably. Some of them are 20 years old and still going strong. They're the workhorse muskie reel. I've never found a a reason to use anything else.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

First let me say that I have converted to all Garcia now. Still love my Calcuttas but....

7000 is a great reel for big baits.

I love the Garcia Record, I have a High Capacity RCN 60 with a winch that is awsome I use for Double Cowgirls and other big Double 10's but I don't like it for Jerkbaits

I am adding a 6600 EXT to the arsenal this year which will quickly become favorite after throwing it last year a few times. It is smaller than a Calcutta for people who like to palm the reel and it has a bracking system on the sideplate which is kind of cool, can't say that I have ever changed my magnets around but I might since it is a little easier.

I checked out a bunch of reels at the expo and from what I've read here and what I've seen I'm thinking the 7000 is the way i'm going with my next set-up. That said I'm a THUMB-BAR guy and keep thinking that I may be more comfortable with the Record. Do those of you who use the 7000's like the lever for a release?

thanks - erik

personally i don't think theres a reel out there that will beat a 400 calcutta/te, for all around comfort and performance, power, and durability IMO IMO. but that's over twice your budget. i see your name. it says ''muskie rookie''. so based on that info i will just assume you have been useing spicast or spinning reels. for a rookie just getting started and having your budget at 150 bucks (don't forget the rod too, theres 80.00 minnimum for a decent one) i will surmise your lure selection is about ten or less. so based on this i want to suggest you start out with something that will work for the lures you have. one will not be enough if you decide to get into muskie fishing heavily. so make your second choice based on what you think you need for the waters you fish and the lures you have enough confidence in to throw alot. an 80 or 90 dollar reel will make you work harder pulling in bucktails. abu g, has a 7.3/1 on the... i think the 6500c. thats a decent rookie reel. was my second reel and was ok for all but double blade bucktails or if i was casting all day. so i upgraded to a 400 te. cast all day with anything and not get tired and don't use them in the winter so i don't miss them when i send them in to get seviced. never regreted spending the money. anyway, casting alot takes a reel that feels good in your hands when it's on a rod. check a few out and if it feels good buy it. good luck.

I'm also a fan of Shimanos, you can get a low end Corvalus under $100 Calcutta B for $220. I also like my Okuma Induron for around $119. I live 12 miles from Berkley and I know everyone raves about Abu's I don't, and my muskie rods don't wear Abu.

Hi,

Guys that fish the most seem to lean towards the 7000 Abus more than anything else, so it must be for a good reason. Lower gear ratio saves the arms, doesn't burn out the "guts" of the reel, but still offers a big enough diameter spool to pick up line fast enough. RK's 7000 Abus likely have umpteen thousand casts on them.....

Couple things to consider: If it's exclusively for muskies, then look more at the 7000, if you're looking for one to cover pike fishing too, the 6000 series may be a better option. All depends on what you're looking to get out of it. If you go with the 6000, look for the 5.3:1 ratio, better off for more presentations and more versatile, the 6.3:1 reels are just too high of a ratio and succeptible to wear and tear. Only drawback to the 7000s is they weigh around 19 ounces.

The Okuma Induron 400 at $120 with the power handle is another option too, just not as "time tested" as the Abus, as it's only been out a couple years. Nice reel....

I'm mainly a Daiwa Luna guy, smooth and I've not had an issue. Little pricy, but I found a deal at the time I couldn't pass up.

I have a couple C4s, a C3 and last fall picked up a 7000iC3 and wondered how I got by without it. The 7000 series are great rells for the money, especially for throwing the big blades that have been so hot in the past few years. you can really burn the big bladed baits with out wearing yourself out.

the lever release took a little time to get used to, but after a day of fishing its not a problem.

Another 7000 to look at would be the hsn. its narrower and lighter than the regular 7000, and also has a higher ration at 5.3:1

If you plan on throwing any of the big baits, get a big reel, its worth the money and it will take the beating so you dont have to

geez i think i'll try one of those 7000's for the heck of it. grandpappy Amos always said don't knock it till you try it. just know though i'm going to let it bounce in the boat alot and use my TE's. oops i'm knocking it. sorry Grandpappy ;\) . seriously though i never worried about the gears lasting or the ratio of a reel or the weight when i first started fishing muskies. ok mabe i did a little but the choices were fewer then. in the end i found out that one was not enough and when i found the ones i liked i bought that one again. it's a progression. two rods rigged up with different baits are a must on heavily fished waters. when you get a follow toss a tube or an eel or bulldog. these are things you learn over time. but first you have to get past ''rookie''. do you want to ''burn'' top water baits? reel in big cranks? you don't know yet when your a rookie. i don't own a 7000 but it sounds like a good affordable one. i'm a veteran muskie fisherman with at least 1 muskie under my belt... at least... but if i was a rookie reading these posts from knowledgeable muskie men i'd buy the 7000.... if it felt right in my hands. or i might figure i can get used to it. good luck rookie. if i were you i'd work another job if you get hooked on muskie. it get's very expensive.

Yep, the cat guys love the 7000s too! The Sturgeon Excursion will have many 7000s on rods as well! The reels is simply a work horse.

I'm hoping to match my Lunas up with a nice flattie come Spring too!

I've got two Lunas, a couple Mainas, Calcutta 400TE and 400B, 6500C and 5500C, and an Okuma Red Isis.

For the money, I think the Red Isis is the best deal at the sub-$150 mark (someone sells 'em for $129 on their hsolist store). At the sub-$300, I'll take the Luna over the 400B. I haven't used my 400TE enough yet to decide if its worth the money over the Luna. It definitely feels like another magnitude of smooth, but not sure about the extra $100-plus. It sure feels nice in my basement, though.

I got a Curado 300DSV for Salmon and put on 50# braid. Does anyone use them for Muskies? It's 6.2:1 retrieve...is that just too fast to use with anything big enough to entice a Muskie?

DTRO... beautiful reel!!! Power Pro??? I cant wait to use my 7000iC3... especially when both will be going on two Pro Edge rods... just cant wait... 89 days left til Muskie Season Opener!!!

PDX... too fast??? Well... on few muskie forums and in the magazines... people are talking about Shimano Trinidad 14N and 16N for muskies... They're salt-water reel... dont have levelwind... and they're 6.3:1 so thats fast... there are several comments about how guides love to burn bucktails like DCs and DCGs very FAST during the day and thats where the Trinidads come in...

From my past experience with Abu Garcia 6600C4, it cant even handle the workload of DC and DCG's... It would BOG down so bad I gave up on it and exchanged it for a 6600C3... it was much better til I burned two out and it wasnt even 6 months old... I sucked it in and invested in two Abu Garcia 7000... I dont expect both to last me forever... but I'll expect for both to last way longer than 6600's... otherwise it might be time for me to invest into Shimano Trinidads... unless Abu Garcia comes out with an answer to the Trinidads...

Originally Posted By: PDXFisher
I got a Curado 300DSV for Salmon and put on 50# braid. Does anyone use them for Muskies? It's 6.2:1 retrieve...is that just too fast to use with anything big enough to entice a Muskie?

No way...... Next time you see a hot fish behind your lure. Reel as fast as you possibly can and I garauntee you that the musky will still be hot on your bait, if its gonna eat. I dont think its possible to reel too fast when your on a hot fish. Just my .02

Originally Posted By: eyehead

No way...... Next time you see a hot fish behind your lure. Reel as fast as you possibly can and I garauntee you that the musky will still be hot on your bait, if its gonna eat. I dont think its possible to reel too fast when your on a hot fish. Just my .02

I guess I don't mean too fast for the fish, but too fast for the reel's (and your lower arm's) own good. It's not a huge reel, being low profile and I've heard rumors of big baits burning/breaking the gears very quickly. Also, that it's more of a chore to pull in big baits because of the gearing (like going uphill in your highest gear on a bike).

cool.gif i got a 250 TE/DC grin.gif ... wheres the emote with the thumbs in the ear and the hands open wiggling the fingers and the toung sticking out vibrating between the lips with a little bit of liquid shooting out when you need it? cry.gif

The Curado is a great reel for working glides hard and fast. I pulled DC's last fall on my 6600 with 6:3:1 and wasnt a problem once you get used to it. This year I'll pull DCG's and the like with an Okuma Induron, finaly rid of te Abu's forever.

The bigger ABU 7000 reels get my vote. I like the older red 7000i, as well as the Big Game 7000ics pro rocket (black-wide spool) I musky fish a bunch...probably 40-80 hours a week, and these reels hold up. They'd probably last the average guy many, many years. It doesn't take too long to get used to the weight. The power handles are great. They're great for big baits, and work fine for the small ones as well. Super great for fighting fish. Best of all, it's in your price range at under $150.

Originally Posted By: PDXFisher
 Originally Posted By: eyehead

I guess I don't mean too fast for the fish, but too fast for the reel's (and your lower arm's) own good. It's not a huge reel, being low profile and I've heard rumors of big baits burning/breaking the gears very quickly. Also, that it's more of a chore to pull in big baits because of the gearing (like going uphill in your highest gear on a bike).

The Curado is awesome for just about anything besides big blades and big cranks.

The gear ratio is high, but the HUGE main gear still provides enough power.

Plenty of people out there tossing big blades with this reel too. It's just not the reel I reach for in that situation

Quote:
hey musky rookie, another thing to keep in mind is that the 7000 abus have a $10 mail in rebate until september...not much but it will get you another bucktail

Quote:
Superhawk... actually its $15 rebate from Abu Garcia...

either one, but according to Reeds Sports they have the $10 back if you purchase any Abu Garcia reel or combo $39.95 or more.