• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reel Research

ikeslayer

i am looking at buying a new BC reel but don't want to break the bank. i have been doing some homework thanks to Fluker, and i am inquireing about 2 reels.

1st prospect Cabelas Tournament ZX HS - on sale right now for 69 and it is 7to1.

2nd prospect Daiwa MegaForce® - this is new this year i believe it is a 60 dollar reel twitchen bar(which is probably over ratted) and 7to1 gear ratio.

any body ever used either? They both look good on paper but i do know that the cabelas bargain cave has alot of tournament reels in it and that is not usually a good sign. I would love any feedback from my fellow bassers. ike

speed and efficentcy and a little bit a mind game. i can recover 31 inches per turn, where as most 6.4to1 are 28inches which means more casts in a day lure longer in the strike zone in a day. if it were just a mind game alone i could pass on it and get over it however i know that it is not and you can smoke a lure back to the boat.

Deitz why do you ask. Enlighten me please. ike

I would be thinkin 7.0:1 would be pretty fast for a versitile reel. Are you looking to have this as a specific purpose rod? I find that with a reel right in the 6-6.5 range, I can easily get it back to the boat plenty fast to put it back in their face.

Ike,

You've been around this board long enough to see the few makes of reels that consistently rise to the top. Mainly the Shimanos, Daiwas, and the Quantum series to generalize a bit.

I believe in the old adage of "you get what you pay for", and right now there is no better deal than the Citica, even without the rebate. Grab the 6.2:1 reel and you're very well armed, that's plenty fast enough. Kind of goes back to your counter question on the 7.0:1 reel, why so fast?

Take you're time and don't rush, water is still frozen!

Chris

Ike,

The Diawa Magforce isn't too bad of a reel. As you stated, it is one of Diawa's new reels for '08. Some may think that the twitchin bar is a gimmick, but I personally think its pretty cool. If I got this reel I would probably only use it for pitching and flipping, thats when that twitchin bar will come in handy in picking up slack line real quick. Its also 7.0:1 which helps in picking up line fast when hauling a fish out and away from cover.

Some other reels that are also at a decent price:

Pflueger Purist: $80.00

Abu Garcia SilverMax: $59.99

Abu Garcia BlackMax: $49.99

Shimano Cruxis $100.00 (-$20.00 rebate = $80.00)

Hey Ike - as I mentioned to you before, I know nothing about Cabela's brand reels, so can't be of any help to you there. I think if it were me, I'd go with a BPS Extreme reel before this one. Just my preference of BPS over Cabelas I guess.

No offense to Bob above, but the twitchin bar is a gimmick from line 1. It will not last and will be something that goes away very quickly. Most guys move line with there rod while pitching, or they should. And then take up the slack with the reel. This is basically moving line with the reel. I just don't think it will fly, and I personally wouldn't want to have that thing on there.

The Citica is a great deal right now if you like the new Shimano's. I was hardcore Shimano, but I gotta be honest, I just don't care for the new Citica/Curado's. I would like to get my hands on a Core, but the price points of the new reels are a little disheartening too. Don't get me wrong though, some guys love the new reels, so I'd definitely check it out.

Originally Posted By: Fluker
Hey Ike - as I mentioned to you before, I know nothing about Cabela's brand reels, so can't be of any help to you there. I think if it were me, I'd go with a BPS Extreme reel before this one. Just my preference of BPS over Cabelas I guess.

No offense to Bob above, but the twitchin bar is a gimmick from line 1. It will not last and will be something that goes away very quickly. Most guys move line with there rod while pitching, or they should. And then take up the slack with the reel. This is basically moving line with the reel. I just don't think it will fly, and I personally wouldn't want to have that thing on there.

In that price range I would 2nd the Bass Pro Shops Extremes. They have all of the gear ratios covered so you can pick which one you like best. My tourney parnter has had a 7.1 version for three years now and it performs like new. Very nice reel for the price. Definitely worth a look.

I do have to disagree on the twichin bar not holding up. There are a lot of guys that have used them hard for a couple years on the Viento and they seem to be pretty sturdy. I don't know about the Megaforce though because the whole frame is plastic, but I would worry about the reel breaking down before the twichin bar. I actually think this could be the ultimate Carolina Rig reel ever though, if the frames hold up. I had a Viento and that twichin bar works pretty good for Carolina rigging with one hand, and that 7.1 gear ratio on the Megforce would pick up line fast when needed. Just don't think it is a great all around reel for multiple techniques.

Fluker,

None taken. I personally don't think its a bad reel for the price, but you won't see one in my boat anytime soon. Thats not to say its a bad reel though [am I being a hypocryte?:)]. When I'm pitching and flipping and reeling up slack I just give my reel handle one good push (so it spins about 6-8 times freely) to pick up the extra line after dragging or moving the bait. I just thought for people who don't do that, that it would be a decent reel for them in terms of using the twitchin bar instead to pick up slack.

Ike,

As Fluker mentioned, Shimano has a mail in rebate offer right now on their baitcasters. It's a $30 rebate on the Citica and I think $50 on the Curado, not sure on the Curado though.

The offer lasts until April 30th.

I like the BPS extrmes in the lower price range, every Cabelas reel I have boughten has turned to junk after a year or two, I still have my original Extreme 7.1 from 3 years ago, it looks like [PoorWordUsage] cause I'm really hard on things but performs like the day I got it! I also really like Daiwas but they discontinued the 150h this year and that was my favorite under $100. I also have been looking at the Citicas with the $30 rebate that makes them $90 and is a good bargain, I use the 7.1 for flipping and pitching, it's nice picking up that much line quickly on the way back into the boat!

Hiya -

If I remember right, this year's Cabelas-branded reels are made by Diawa. For what that's worth...

As several others have said, in the price range you're talking, the Citica is really a no-brainer. The new Citica is basically the old Curado, no plastic parts, SuperFree Spool, high efficiency gears. They actually remind me of the old Chronarchs in terms of how they feel. With the rebate, you can't beat 'em.

My $.02 - which is probably a rip-off....

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Originally Posted By: RK
Hiya -

If I remember right, this year's Cabelas-branded reels are made by Diawa. For what that's worth...

As several others have said, in the price range you're talking, the Citica is really a no-brainer. The new Citica is basically the old Curado, no plastic parts, SuperFree Spool, high efficiency gears. They actually remind me of the old Chronarchs in terms of how they feel. With the rebate, you can't beat 'em.

My $.02 - which is probably a rip-off....

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Made by Daiwa really doesn't mean anything, there cheaper for a reason, take apart a Prodigy next to a 153hsta (same reel) and you will see how much more plastic is in the Prodigy!

Bushwacker - When I said the twitchin bar won't last I wasn't meaning durability. I meant the design in general. I think they'll eventually do away with it.

Bob - You make a good point on using the bar to reel up the slack. When I've played with them (can't remember which reel) it seems the twitchin bar was pretty jerky, so you'd pull the line in in a hurry. Maybe with line and a lure one, you could pull back on the twitchin bar slowly like turning the handle slowly? Regardless, although I do see this as a use, I think most guys would just as soon turn the handle and that's why I don't think it will last.

Figure it will either go away, or I'll be 100% WRONG and we'll see everyone come out with a model that has one next year. \:\)

I think the twitchin bar actually works pretty well and it was pretty smooth and easy to use on my Viento, but the way I palm reel it was always in the way for me, except for when I was trying to use it. I too think they won't be around that long. Maybe we should stock up on them for when they become collectibles.