• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha or Polaris

wally20

This would be a great example for a "block posters B.S." button.

If you were so up and up on machines you would know that highlifter is a forum that caters to mudders. I have seen Polaris go thru just as much as any other machine. The only real flaw I have seen on Polaris for mudding is the radiator placement.

Rider abuse or neglect is the main reason for any manufacturers breakdowns.

Also Polaris is the most widely sold ATV, escpecially in this area. When you sell more machines than any other manufacturer there is a high probability that you will hear of more breakdowns with said manufacturers product.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: SomethingFishy
Also Polaris is the most widely sold ATV, escpecially in this area. When you sell more machines than any other manufacturer there is a high probability that you will hear of more breakdowns with said manufacturers product.

Really? I wasn't aware that they had surpassed Honda! When did that occur?

And, if that truely were the case how come Honda has such a longstanding reputation for reliability when they have been the #1 seller for so many years prior?

Its just plain puzzling.... ;\);\)

So, as not to hijack the post.... back to the original question, Polaris or Yamaha? Yamaha!!!!!

Macgyver,

I think it was 2 or 3 years ago that Polaris surpassed Honda as being #1. You question why Honda doesn't have as many break downs? There are a couple reasons IMO.

1) Honda has never used a rubberband transmission to allow water in to make it slip.

2) Not near as much power as the competition to stress components to make them break.

3) Until the Rincon, they didn't have an IRS machine, which means no CV joints or boots and fewer moving parts in the rear to break.

But being a speed freak/power monger at heart, did that stop me from buying a Honda? NOPE.

Can many guys on this forum keep up to me on my Honda on the trails? Probably not (I'll let Roofer chime in). I'm not bragging about my riding abilities. Just pointing out that the best riders can make the worst machines look great.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM

Can many guys on this forum keep up to me on my Honda on the trails? Probably not (I'll let Roofer chime in).

Not sure because I have only met a few. With an '08 BF750 I could come close, but then I would be riding a machine with similar handling capabilities and more power than the Rinny. I would also have to have a fearless day.

Somethingfishy could if he had a machine that wouldn't break down all the time and actually had a locking 4wd. lol just joking guys.

To answer the question.....tough with different machines. The Rincon seems to be a great trail machine.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
Macgyver,

I think it was 2 or 3 years ago that Polaris surpassed Honda as being #1. You quesiton why Honda doesn't have as many break downs? There are a couple reasons IMO.

1) Honda has never used a rubberband transmission to allow water in to make it slip.

2) Not near as much power as the competition to stress components to make them break.

3) Until the Rincon, they didn't have an IRS machine, which means no CV joints or boots and fewer moving parts in the rear to break.

Good post.

McGyver may have more miles than all of us put together though. I guess you can't put Honda down too much when they run like that. Your reasons why, are what I was thinking also.

The ONE undeniable thing in this entire thread is HONDA's RELIABILITY.

I persoanally looked at buying a Honda, The Rincon to be exact. The main reason I didn't buy a Honda at that time is that I wanted EFI and at the time it was Honda's first year of having it and I couldn't find a dealer within 100 miles that wasn't excessively proud with their price, most dealers were quoting me almost MSRP.

Well guys you all have a great time on the threads here, I need to start getting packed. Rather than sit here and talk about ATV'ing I am headed out for a week to RIDE. There will be approximately 65 machines on this week's ride with all manufacturers represented. I will be sure to have the camera ready and suspect most/all of the MFG's bikes will have some sort of "mishaps" I will be sure to post up some photo's when I get back.

Leaving in less than 27 hours. \:\) The Polaris will have the new 26" BigHorns and Black ITP SS108's on it when I return grin.gif

You can call what I have to say B.S? Just as I've stated before, if your gonna stay on the grass you could own a popo. If your actually gonna "use" your wheeler your better off with something more reliable as in Honda,Yamaha, and Suzuki. Yes I abuse my machine, always have, always will. I like to have fun and not have to worry about something breaking everytime I hit a mudhole, or pull a tree out. For the statement of there being alot more polaris's out there and thus being more breakdowns, i've heard this excuse before also.

Originally Posted By: Roofer

To answer the question.....tough with different machines. The Rincon seems to be a great trail machine.

That it is. The straight trails/roads are where the Rinny will get smoked no matter who's on it. But that IRS is great on the trails. It could use a steering stabilizer though.

Don't forget the Rinny also won the Baja 1000 one year. How many of the competitors utility machines can say that. grin.gif

Sorry, I just had to know because I hadn't ever heard that Polaris sales had passed Honda. .....these were the latest figures I could find. They are about 1 year old.

Publication: Powersports Business

Date: Monday, March 12 2007

Subject: Motorcycle industry

Honda continues to lead industry's unit sales race.

American Honda Motor Corp. continues to sell more new powersports units annually in the United States than any other OEM, according to a statistics compiled by Power-sports Business. U.S. market share figures were developed by Powersports Business using sales figures in each major category--ATV, motorcycle, PWC, snowmobiles and UTVs--as reported by industry groups, OEMs and industry analysts.

Honda's standing as the market share leader in motorcycles and ATVs once again led the OEM to the top place in the Power-sports Business OEM Leaders.

ATV and motorcycle sales were calculated for the calendar year.

ATV MARKET SHARE

Source: Powersports Business, AG Edwards & Sons, industry sources. March 12 2007

Honda 29%

Yamaha 21%

Polaris 21%

Suzuki 11%

Kawsaki 8%

Arctic Cat 6%

Bombardier 3%

John Deere 1%

ATV UNITS SOLD

Honda 234,000

Yamaha 162,000

Polaris 160,000

Suzuki 85,000

Kawasaki 65,000

Bombardier 20,000

Arctic Cat 50,000

WOW this is turning into quite a battle!!! eek.gif Ive only owned Yamahas, currently a 660 grizzly. I ride pretty regularly with 2 700 sportsmans. Those sportsmans are nice machines and there have been alot of days I wished I would have bought one instead of my grizzly, also alot of days I really like mine. They are both very good machines!! That is pretty interesting how many machines honda sells! whistle.gif

It may have been 4x4 machines since that is where Polaris has more emphasis.

On the flip side, Honda and Yamaha have a load of sport machines out there to cushion their numbers.

Wally20,

Just wanted to chime in, for what it's worth.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have never owned a Yamaha, or anything else for that matter. I won't bash other machines because, in my opinion, every manufacturer makes a strong machine nowadays. I've ridden with all makes and models and am impressed with them all on some level.

I have a Polaris X2. It was instrumental when it hauled over 300 trees when we cleared our driveway/building sites. It also plows a 1.5 mile stretch of road regularly, sometimes with very deep snow. It hauls my 2000# + boat/trailer around the property nicely, as well as the log splitter, utility trailer...I use it ice fishing etc. I even get out and do some trail riding with it, when it's not being used as a work horse.

I can tell you that, so far, I have had no problems with it. Does that mean that something won't go wrong with it at some point...of course not. Did I just get lucky and get one of the "good ones"...of course not.

I'll try to get to my point. I have a Honda automobile. I have a Honda snow thrower. My log splitter has a Honda engine. I love Honda's. Why? Because they are so reliable. But, when it came to my ATV, I chose a Polaris. Why? Because I knew what I needed it to do and what I'd use it for. I did my homework and compared what was available to me. Bottom line, I simply liked certain things about the Polaris X2 more than the others and thought it was the best machine for me.

There's my moral of the story. Try to look past the bashing, assess it for yourself and get the machine that you think is best for you. There will be some good machines available in your price range, just take your time and choose the one you like most.

LEP, dont over eat on the crow. As a fellow Honda rider I'll give you a pass! ;\) To a some degree I think you are partially correct! I've looked but cannot find where, but I thought I read something recently that Polaris is a bigger seller regionally. That may be the same thing you had heard.

Originally Posted By: Macgyver55
LEP, dont over eat on the crow. As a fellow Honda rider I'll give you a pass! ;\)

Thanks Mac. I hear they taste somewhat like eagle or even loon.