• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha or Polaris

wally20

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT
My intent wasn't to discredit, or bash as you call it, any brand. It was stated that Polaris had the only true-4WD system available which is incorrect and I'm sure the original poster, or anyone else, would like to be aware of that if he/she isn't already.

having been with Can-Am's on different rides, not to mention reading posts in other threads, the Visco-lock system, which IMO, is the other candidate to be a true 4wd system, has kicked in and out of 4wd in conditions where the Polaris maintains 4wd.

Now, let put this to rest. It's done and we've gotten the truth out.

LMITOUT,

people came in here in an attempt to provide the OP with some constructive feedback. Although, maybe some of that was incorrect, you chose to sit in the shade and attempt to call out other posters when you admittedly knew the answer and others had posted the correct information. Instead, you continued to instigate instead of doing the right thing and posting the information verbatim from the Polaris HSOforum.

I would suggest reviewing forum policy if this is what you want to bring to the table.

after following this, you, sir, lmitout need to take a pill!!!! maybe with a beer or two. these guys know what they are talking about. You seem to worry about the original poster. We are ONLINE I think he/she knows how much weight to give to information from one person vs another. the information is there, they can take away what they want, otherwise, polaris has a HSOforum I'm sure he's checked out, as well as yamaha......

my 2 cents worth is that they are both great machines that will do the job you are asking and more, it's just a matter of preference as to the "little" things you like/don't like on either.

There was no instigating. I kept asking if I was interpreting what the polaris HSOforum said verbatim but there was never a direct answer to the true-4WD question.

Originally Posted By: pikechaser
Polaris... the worlds most OVERRATED atv. Yamaha hands down....end of story

First post in 4 months and this is what you have to say???? LOL

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT
True AWD is the proper description and how Polaris describes it also, but the front wheels are not under power during normal driving with no rear-wheel slippage present. That's not true 4WD.

Why in the world would I'd need to have 4x4 under normal driving?? Under normal driving I'd much rather be in 2x4.

But that's just me.

Hooked

Thanks for all the info guys, didn't mean to open the can of worms!!! I'll sift threw all the trash talk, I know whatever you drive is the best. Just like my chevy pickup and artic cat snowmobile. There's a hole new post!! As I said I had a big bear and was a great machine, just looking for something newer. Checked a few dealers out this weekend, They seem to all be pretty proud of their machines plus sales tax????? I'm in no big hurry so will keep looking for a private seller. Thanks again.

Hi Roofer..I check the forums out alot, just dont post any very often. We go to Utah every summer with the wifes family. In the family there are every single brand of ATV built. In the 11+ years we have gone out there, the only machine to have broke down on the trail, and or had to be towed back was the "Trusty" ;\) ol Polaris machines. There have been overheating issues due to fan switch failure, clutch & drive train issues. First year my wifes sister went out her lovely AWD system didnt work so all she had was rear wheel drive. Its pretty sad when a 700 and some odd pound, 500cc atv cant make it up a slight incline that was hard pack with some loose rock on it. Back wheels spun out even in low range, ended up pushing the thing up. Just my two cents but every single person I know who has owned one has had more breakdowns & repairs than the rest of us. I wouldnt own one, no thank you

Could it be that some machines are ridden harder because they can actually do more? I have also seen many many problems with Polaris, including my own, but most were rider error, neglect, or simply over doing what the machine can handle.

Every brand has problems with one thing or another. The more you ride and the more you ride with, you will see that.

I have seen a Polaris go from brand new, to handle bars broken off, on fire, and crashed within a month. Had nothing to do with the machine.

Polaris' CEO put out a challenge a little over a year ago with all of the manufacturers. Nobody participated. I would put good faith in a Polaris over the competition in many categories. If they had the power of a V-twin, I would have one now.

I had a 99 Polaris 500 Magnum, Dad has the same rig. During the time I had mine 3 1/2 years I replaced the brake pad thats it. I rode it in the rivers, on a moto cross track,( 500's were not ment to fly) and just plain beat it. I also used it out west elk hunting at elevations over 11,000 feet without mods. I have hauled 2 quarterd elk at once out on mine in the back country of the Rocky Mountains on little more than 2 open spots between trees. Dads yes has had a couple problems mine is still running great. I know the guy that owns mine now will never ride it near as hard as I did, but I havent rode with or against another brand yet that I would buy other than a Polaris.

All have their favorites my guess is the Polaris haters drive Dodges to and think their better than Chevy.

Very true,

My dad and I each bought a 2001 Xplorer 400, identical. His always started and ran better than mine right from new. You can have that with any brand.

I will say this about Polaris......

They are not for everyone, but they can be for anyone.

When choosing a machine for my wife, there was no question. Polaris is the easiest to use and has the smoothest ride available. They also had a fair price for an EFI machine in the 500 class.

Polaris' CEO put out a challenge a little over a year ago with all of the manufacturers.

This was a typical polaris challenge, just like alot of the brand adds. The CEO of polaris, with however many years of riding expierience, and quite a few years younger than most if not all of the other CEO's, made the challenge to a bunch of old timers to go on a ride to see who could keep up? All ATV's have good points, and bad points. But like Pikechaser pointed out, there are alot more popo's breaking down than others. Look at the last few weeks of topics on this forum. And for the "Could it be that some machines are ridden harder because they can actually do more?" That's the lamest statement I've ever read.

Thanks jltimm.

If you can't believe that statement you haven't been around atv's enough. There are many things that some machines can do more, or better, or faster than others with the right rider(s).

Could it be there are more Polaris owners here? Ever think of that? We are in MN. Most here won't even admit or show what they ride.

I don't know how long "enough" is for being around ATV's? My first ATV was a Honda 70 three wheeler. That was sometime in the 80's? I'v e been riding them since then. I have several friends that work at dealers.I ride with alot of friends that own, and have owned all brands but the Can Ams. I have more than just my bad expierience with popo to be warned of them. I will never understand why some people flat out deny or come up with excuses as to why popo's have such a bad reputation?

Well - Sorry I didn't reply back sooner, next time I post somthing, I won't leave town!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something fishy - Looking to spend somewhere around $3500, I know that limits me a little, but will be mainly for ice fishing and I live in town so can't justify spending too much on it. Seemed to be lots of them around till I sold mine, go figure.

Thanks again for the info --

Sorry to ruin your post wally with our blabber. lol

As I stated earlier, youtube, magazines, and the web have way more info and facts than any one person and their friends. Dealerships....we won't even go there about the knowledge they have. No offense jltimm. We all have friends that say this or that.

$3500 huh? I will keep my eyes open for either a Yami or Polaris if I see anything online. Doesn't seem to be much at all for private sellers. The dealerships normally try to make a killing on trade-ins, so I don't know how good of a deal you could find there. I'm not real familiar with used prices on those brands. Maybe owners of these could give you an idea. I'm just guessing at about 2002-2005 model in the bigger cc machines for that price range.

If you look at other forums, there are plenty of posts about break downs of every brand.

If you want to take a look for yourself, go over to highlifter's site and look under the polaris section and do some reading. Then compare it to Yamaha's or Suzuki's.

Originally Posted By: jltimm
If you look at other forums, there are plenty of posts about break downs of every brand.

If you want to take a look for yourself, go over to highlifter's site and look under the polaris section and do some reading. Then compare it to Yamaha's or Suzuki's.

I did before I made that post. All of the forums, whether it is Polaris, Yamaha, Suzuki, whatever....most of the problems are their own stupidity. Mostly going to deep and too many mods without knowing what they are doing. One guy stated he has a lemon, when in fact he thought his Sportsman was a submarine.

Most of the "help me" topics "over there" are because someone thought they had a tank instead of an atv and they sunk them.